PDA

View Full Version : Boyne river entrance

Wazfish
23-03-2007, 01:03 AM
did anyone see the article in the observer about the dredging on the boyne river mouth? i had just about givin up on it happening, when i read this article, its good to see that after 12 years of nothing happening people are still working on getting it done.

keep up the good work people..... :)

Waz

CQHORNET
23-03-2007, 05:46 AM
I can see it having a direct effect on the future of one of Queenslands major tourist attractions and social fishing events - "The Observer Boyne Tannum Hookup" if it is not dredged in the near future.

People will struggle this year given the tide predictions to get back into the boyne in time for the weigh in and nightly presentations.

I feel that this is something that needs to be actively pursued with the relevant authorities. Lets not give up on this issue - the Hookup future depends on it, the eco system and fishing in the boyne river also depends on it.

With a new resort being built along the river front on the BITS Club property, it would also benifit with deep water access for the boatie customers and yachties alike.

I also see that they are talking about going ahead with the pontoon, a good idea but will not be able to be utilised down the track if boaties cannot get in and out of the Boyne.

DNO

Wazfish
25-03-2007, 10:11 PM
are they goin ahead with the pontoon? i thought i heard on the news the other night that it had been canned?

yeah i can only see positives coming out of the dredging too.

Tezza@Tannum
26-03-2007, 12:44 AM
It would be great if the Boyne was dredged. I've done a couple of Props,
not to mention the amount of times I've had to push my boat.
Daryll and the Hook-up team have done heaps of Polly door knocking over the years, only to be told " It's not their Department".
Let's hope it might happen this time before something tradgic happens
Cheers Tezza.

Lutjanis69
22-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I am a bit late to comment on this post but I thought I would add my two cents worth.

Unfortunately dredging the Boyne River would not be a sensible solution the problem that uses of this system face. The river mouth was unsuccessfully dredged in 1986 and part of this reason as us ignorant humans ignored the fact that due to the orientation of the earths orbit creeks naturally form channels that divert to the left as water exits the system.
The biggest problem the Boyne River has though is the lack of environmental flow from the Dam that so many on here worship. It is a sad fact the necessity for water in the Gladstone region has destroyed the Boyne River, a river that once ran fresh from about the South Trees inlet.
The only way that you would be able to provide a navigable channel through the mouth of the Boyne would be to have maintenance dredging occur at a predetermined period, possibly biannually.

The pontoon idea is much more attractive as no one likes to see a fishing trip ruined by a slip on the ramp, this especially makes it far more safer for those that are getting on in their years and those just starting out.
Due to this being such a sensible idea the bureaucrats ruled this one out on such things as tidal flow, number of lanes etc.

Thanks for listening R

Reel Nauti
22-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I lived at Boyne Is for quite a few years in the 90's, and I had previously been going to Boyne Is since the early 60's. We used to cross south trees at low tide in the car, and I can assure you it was salt then. I have no recollection of that part ever being fresh.

As for dredging, I believe it is not only the most practical solution but also the most feasible. Look at what was achieved at Roslyn Bay just recently. Look at what was achieved in the Gladstone Harbour with dredging being an absolute necessity to permit entry of huge coal vessels.

To say that dredging the Boyne River mouth is not a sensible solution is a completely ridiculous statement, in my opinion. Of course, when the mighty Boyne used to flow pre dam days, there wasn't the problem of ongoing siltage. But the Boyne stopped flowing years and years ago, and I feel the Gladstone Area Water Board have a lot to answer for in that regard.

Get the dredges in, give boats 24/7 easy access, or kiss the pontoon and the Hook Up goodbye. There simply is no other option.

Cheers

Dave

rumy1
22-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Just a thought ... why don't they move the hook-up to Gladstone where we can have access at high and low tides ?
Am I going to upset a few people here ?
Yes, I admit I live in Gladstone and I am entered in the hook-up for the second year in a row. This year I will be fishing unlike last year.

mangomick
23-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Just a thought ... why don't they move the hook-up to Gladstone where we can have access at high and low tides ?

Mmmm, Were you thinking of changing Gladstones name to Boyne or Tannum? ::)

I'm no hydrologist but I figure that if they build a couple of groynes to narrow the Boyne mouth the water going out after the bigger tides would have enough velocity to scour a channel and the natural tide movement would then carry the scourings up the beach towards the lillies. Then again we mere humans have never been much good at dictating terms to mother nature;D

rumy1
23-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Mmmm, Were you thinking of changing Gladstones name to Boyne or Tannum? ::)

Gladstone Hookup would be better than no Hookup wouldn't it ??? Of course I would like to see the river dredged and it stay at Boyne but if they have to cease the event because of it then let it go to Gladstone.

mangomick
23-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Geez Rumy 1 if only the Trout would bite that well ;D ;D

jtpython
23-05-2007, 08:18 PM
;D This will be my forth time , Just hope to catch so fish would be a start for me ./ Insteed of having many sleeps on the floor of the boat suffering from foodpoisoning i think it's called or may be from camping at the caravan park where there are too many backpackers. All in all love the area;D
Hope it goes well for what you all need

barkers creek
23-05-2007, 09:20 PM
couple of thinghs need to be set straight

i LIVE in tannum/boynne for 15 years and still am

south trees was never freash and never will be
note the the hook is called BOYNNE

barkers creek
23-05-2007, 09:24 PM
couple of thinghs need to be set straight

i LIVE in tannum/boynne for 15 years and still am

south trees was never freash and never will be
note the the hook is called BOYNNE TANNUM hook it started in boyn and will finish in boynne

the mouth of the river is absoultly fine if u can reed the becons noone has ever been stranded or done a major run aground at the mouth during the hook up

dreadgeing the mouth would be ok except for the effect on the reefs and ofcouse the mouth it self were i fish nilly twice a week and have been getting 90cm flatty nillly every time and mackrel yes i said mackrel there is soooo much bait at the mouth that u wouldent believe

so i say if anythingh start a WHOLE new channel through the shallows on the boynne side

and thats my 2 bobs worth

cheers and tight lines

mini696
24-05-2007, 01:57 PM
The funniest thing about the articles in the Observer regarding the Boyne River is the lack of knowledge and sense the writer and the people he interviews have.

"If it is dredged the level of the river will be lowered and devastate the ecology"....

I think that says it all regarding the ineptitude of the interviewees.

Luc
24-05-2007, 06:00 PM
"If it is dredged the level of the river will be lowered and devastate the ecology"....

What a prize statement ::)

So that's the solution to rising sea level, do lots of dregging and dig holes everywhere on the sea bed;D ;D ;D

Luc

smee
27-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I have been involved since its inseption and dont know of any body in the public that has sat down and wrote a letter to a pollitition yet on the dredging issue . A lot gets said but to the wrong people the hookup committee has done a lot of work over the years but when it asks people to back them up by writing to pollititions thats where it stops . The community need to get behind the committee on this and move as one espesially this year. At present we have Liz Cunningham as our community rep write a letter and air your concerns dont just get on the merry go round.

Regards smee