PDA

View Full Version : When's the best age to take kids for their first fish?

Synful
22-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Evening all,

Lately my little fella (http://photo.agt.id.au/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=0) at the ripe old age of 2 and a half has been begging me to take him fishing.
He's inherited an old 'kiddie' fishing rod from one of his sisters which looks like it would snap in half if anything heavier than a 10cm - 20cm stripey got on it :)

All that aside, these are the best things for them to chase in my opinion as they will learn on the basics and then can progress to other species as they get older and more experienced at how to handle a fish.

My main question is with adequate supervision and of course (as a priority) with safety in mind, what is the age that you took your kids for their first fish? :confused:

sarg
22-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Out of a boat i'm going to wait till my boys a bit older (I wouldn't be allowed even if i wanted too) but my dad took me freshwater fishing from the bank around that age, he had me water skiing at 4. We don't have the nasties you have up there though!

Andrew

Poodroo
23-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Personally it is up to you but I think that kids just love to go out and fish regardless of age. If he wants to go now then take him. The only thing that varies with age is their concentration levels. Nothing worse than just after getting to the fishing spot and getting the lines wet and hearing "This is boring dad, can we go home now?" :P I waited until my son and daughter were around 6 and 7 years of age when I knew their concentration level was a little better and they both loved it. Here is my daughter with her first fish and looking pretty chuffed about it too.

Poodroo

Synful
23-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Out of a boat i'm going to wait till my boys a bit older (I wouldn't be allowed even if i wanted too) but my dad took me freshwater fishing from the bank around that age, he had me water skiing at 4. We don't have the nasties you have up there though!

Andrew

Hi Sarg,

Of course I wouldn't be taking him into the creeks or in a boat - that's just stupidity at two to three years old.

I was more thinking of Palm Cove or the old Barron River bridge @ Stratford, probably the latter as it's got a bit more railing - just wanted to give him the experience and I think that he'd be happy to just go fishing more than anything.

Andrew.

Synful
23-03-2007, 07:51 AM
If he wants to go now then take him. The only thing that varies with age is their concentration levels. Nothing worse than just after getting to the fishing spot and getting the lines wet and hearing "This is boring dad, can we go home now?" :P

Poodroo

Hi Poodroo,

Thanks for that.

I was thinking of taking him to Palm Cove Jetty just the area where there's railing up so probably only out the first 100m or so. There's plenty of stripeys, little queenies (around 7cm) and the odd grunter and rays at that depth for him to cut his teeth on ;) and I can keep him safe where there's a railing and keep an eye on him; to top it off, it's just up the road from where we live 8-)

Andrew.

sarg
23-03-2007, 07:56 AM
I went in a ski boat around that age very safe though life jacket parents on both side and a 350 chev right in front so nowhere I could go. If hes keen i'd go as poodroo said just be ready to pack up early. I took my dads freinds kid fishing once he was about 10 and it lasted an hour then he started jumping around in the water and that was about it no fish within a mile i recon, but if he
s keen take him for sure.

Tinn
23-03-2007, 08:18 AM
My boys have been going since they were 4 months old. Now the eldest is 2 and he knows how to start the boat what fish is what, How to reel he loves the boat. I reckon the younger the better. But you need to keep an eye out once they start walking and climbing.

T1
23-03-2007, 08:24 AM
My boys have been going since they were 4 months old. Now the eldest is 2 and he knows how to start the boat what fish is what, How to reel he loves the boat. I reckon the younger the better. But you need to keep an eye out once they start walking and climbing.

And he even knows Mr T catches Mackerel in an orange boat ;D ;D ;D

I'll wait till my son can competently swim. But in all honesty, i can't wait!

Take Care T

SCOTTYGC
23-03-2007, 09:50 AM
My oldest boy is 6 and cant wait to go out each time

trick is to keep them amused or they get bored and you dont want them complaing as it just screws up the whole day

we never use bait as just sitting there with no bites is not very exciting

he likes to use soft plastics and pick out the colour he likes as its allways on the go ,no waiting for somthing to happen

also trolling in the creeks is good allways moving and it keeps them interested and always take lollies and cold water

just a tip :allways and i mean allways put sunscreen on them and top it up during the day
nothing worse than them getting burnt and you have to face the minister of war when you get home
i have two younger boys as well and as soon as they are ready they will be out with us

i think i need a bigger boat

disorderly
23-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I think its mainly dependent on the goals of the parents.
If you are in a serious fishing mood and dragging in toothy spotted mackeral,then this is no place for an infant who's learning to fish.
If however you are prepared to sacrifice you own fishing time and spend it teaching the little bloke, then any age is cool.

Its always cool to take a photo or two of the budding angler with their catch too (even if its only a stripey).

cheers Scott

tigermullet
23-03-2007, 10:32 AM
My son came out on his first boating and fishing trip with me at the age of five. He could barely see above the stern and motors of the Seafarer. The bream hole was really firing and he ended up landing 20 Bream. I thought that I was watching carefully but failed to notice that he was pushing the rod butt too hard into his abdomen. At 2 am next morning he woke screaming in pain and we made a mad dash to the emergency centre of the hospital. After lots of tests it was found that he had kinked a section of bowel.

A bit of treatment relaxed everything but it made me feel very guilty for a while.

Synful
23-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I think its mainly dependent on the goals of the parents.
If you are in a serious fishing mood and dragging in toothy spotted mackeral,then this is no place for an infant who's learning to fish.
If however you are prepared to sacrifice you own fishing time and spend it teaching the little bloke, then any age is cool.

Its always cool to take a photo or two of the budding angler with their catch too (even if its only a stripey).

cheers Scott

Hi Scott,

Yeah I agree, that's why I wanted to take him places that are reasonably safe; he won't be going in a boat till he turns 4 or 5 at the earliest, and then only when he can swim properly and wears a life jacket.

We all know what kids are like, take your eye off them for a second and they are into mischief - lot like their Dads' really ::) ;D

Taking him fishing is going to be something that will require me watching his every move, making sure that he doesn't go for an "impromptu swim".

Stripeys are a great fish to start 'em out on - they'll bite on just about anything and are a good tough bait for other fish :)

Was going to get a small bag of prawns and some small hooks to see if he could get some dart near where the waves are breaking at Palm Cove from the Jetty. They can put up a good fight and look good in photos as well as being able to have them for dinner - what a buzz for a kid if he's lucky on his first fishing trip!

Synful
23-03-2007, 10:38 AM
He could barely see above the stern and motors of the Seafarer. The bream hole was really firing and he ended up landing 20 Bream. I thought that I was watching carefully but failed to notice that he was pushing the rod butt too hard into his abdomen. At 2 am next morning he woke screaming in pain and we made a mad dash to the emergency centre of the hospital. After lots of tests it was found that he had kinked a section of bowel.

Ouch!!!!

That's some serious pressure on the old tummy reeling in fish!!

Good pointer to know about - thanks Tigermullet!

Noelm
23-03-2007, 10:51 AM
depending on locations and conditions, I think it is never too early, we used to take our kids out long before they could actually do any fishing, now more than twenty years later they still (boys and girls) love boats, water, fishing the whole lot, even the grand kids are getting close to at the very least Beach Fishing now and then onto the tinny in the Lake and maybe a year after, short trips in the Ocean.

Chezzy13
23-03-2007, 01:00 PM
If he is keen, yea, by all means let him go with you, thats excellent, gives him a nice head start in learning all about fishing, good for them to learn patience too lol..;D. Good luck, hope he has a ball..

BTW can I ask you "How" you did the link to his picc, by putting "Little fella" in Iv seen people do it, but HOW do you do it?????:-[

tigermullet
23-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Ouch!!!!

That's some serious pressure on the old tummy reeling in fish!!

Good pointer to know about - thanks Tigermullet!

You're welcome, Andrew. Sometimes, as a parent, you think that you have all the angles of care covered. That one caught me by surprise and the emergency care doctor agreed that the pressure of the rod was the cause of the discomfort. Bear in mind that it was 30 years ago, the fish were a pretty good size and he was keeping pressure on the fish, as instructed, because of barbless hooks.

Fishing without barbs is not only safer for children but also increases the catch rate with less time spent in wrestling out hooks.

Naturally he did not associate the pain with fishing and still brags about out- fishing me 20 to nil when he was five.;D

Synful
23-03-2007, 01:23 PM
BTW can I ask you "How" you did the link to his picc, by putting "Little fella" in Iv seen people do it, but HOW do you do it?????:-[

Hi Chezzy,

Sure, no problems.

When replying to a post, just click the icon of the globe and chain (should be the 11th from the left on the bottom row of icons) after selecting the text that you want to use as the link.

Make sure that you include the "http://" in the actual link and it should all work.
If you want to practice; send me some PM's as a training run ;)

Synful
23-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Naturally he did not associate the pain with fishing and still brags about out- fishing me 20 to nil when he was five.;D

Good to see that he remembered the important part of the experience ;D

Synful
23-03-2007, 01:28 PM
depending on locations and conditions, I think it is never too early, we used to take our kids out long before they could actually do any fishing, now more than twenty years later they still (boys and girls) love boats, water, fishing the whole lot, even the grand kids are getting close to at the very least Beach Fishing now and then onto the tinny in the Lake and maybe a year after, short trips in the Ocean.

Well if the weather holds good Noel, I think that I'll take him for a bash up at Palm Cove Jetty over the weekend :).

I'll head up to the local tackle shop and get a pack of prawns or worms after work and see what happens :-)

Synful
23-03-2007, 01:31 PM
You're welcome, Andrew. Sometimes, as a parent, you think that you have all the angles of care covered.

Fishing without barbs is not only safer for children but also increases the catch rate with less time spent in wrestling out hooks.

Can guarantee that I will be doing all the "business end" of anything with hooks; he already knows in no uncertain terms not to touch them unless I am with him.

roz
23-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Andrew,

IMO if you child wants to go fishing with dad, consider yourself very lucky! take the opportunity.

Of course he/she will probably find the sharp end of the hook when you turn your back for a second, but didn't we all!!

As for how young.

My view is.... that until a child can swim to save itself, with or without a life jacket, it's fishing off the bank or beach only.

Just make sure you have the camera ready for that first fish.

Speaking personally, I will never forget that moment as a six year old, it started my life long love of fishing, and a bond with my dad that will last forever.

r.

Chezzy13
23-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks heaps for that Synful.. I got it (http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w123/Chezzy71/Cheersclinkchamps.gif) hee hee..;D
Cheers.

Heath
23-03-2007, 03:09 PM
My young fella has been comming with us since he could walk. Back then it was gather bait for our mangrove jack trips. I made the decision that he wouldn't come offshore with us until he could swim. So at 3.5yo, he had his first summer on the water, he'd fish for yakkas etc while we chased the mackerel. When he got bored of fishing or terrorising the yakkas in the tank, there was a good supply of power rangers and cars on board in his own tackle box to keep him occupied.
There's also the cabin for him to take a kip. He now turns six in April and from memory has only missed out on about 12 trips since his first outting.
He only gets left at home if the conditions are crap or he is too tired and cranky. ( at xmas he did 8 trips in 11 days, we did 9 :o

He has his own hooks now that he practices on the bait ( barb squashed), he's still banned form the knife as well.

Theres a bit of footage of him fishing at 4.5 years old in the video forum;D

major-defect
23-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Both my girls were coming out in the boat with us from birth.When they started asking if they could fish too we let them hold on to a handline,if it was anything big they just let the line go and yell and my wife or i would wind it in.We did all the baiting up for them then and drop the line in.My youngest landed a 76cm flathead all by herself at 3.I reckon if there asking to have a go there ready!

Synful
23-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks heaps for that Synful.. I got it (http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w123/Chezzy71/Cheersclinkchamps.gif) hee hee..;D
Cheers.

Well Done!!!

Might have to have a few for you tonight as well!! ;D

Synful
24-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Evening all,

Took the little guy out for his first trip today to Palm Cove jetty with a bit of a wind blowing; the little guy was all keyed up when I asked him if he wanted to go fishing.

Bought him a new $15.00 JW rod an reel combo from "the mart of K" which he picked out and then headed up to Palm Cove. The one that we handed him down was pretty hard to use the reel for little hands and at $15.00 if he doesn't like the sport then it's no big loss.

We set up shop probably 50m out from the beach and cast out then got him to hold the rod in one hand while I showed him how to reel in the line with his other. Well we may have a natural here cause there was no need to show him a second time and it was "me do" from there on in :)

On the second cast out, while retrieving I felt some small nibbles and the occasional tug through the rod which was met by "ooooohh!!!" and "hard Daddy" respectively. :)

We then tried out the other side of the jetty towards the rocks which yielded even better bites on the Gulp sandworms (good way to start I reckon - bait that doesn't spike or bite inquiring little fingers!) ; by this time though at 2 and a half the biscuits that I brought along for him held more attention grabbing power and he was happy just to watch.

At about the 45 minute mark he started asking to go home which was a lot longer than I thought he'd last; so I cast out one more time and got him to reel it in on his own again which he thought was pretty cool after a break.

While this was happening a bus load of tourists from the UK arrived and they all thought he was pretty impressive for his size reeling in his line on his little green rod and gave him plenty of encouragement on top of mine which just made his day to have strangers cheering him on.

Well he didn't get a fish but he certainly enjoyed himself; I managed to get a photo on the phone camera which I've included below just prior to the tourists arriving.

Let me assure you his first fish isn't too far off - all we need is a day where there isn't too much wind and it'll all come together. The wind was beating him a fair bit today but I was just so proud of the effort he put in for someone under 3.

disorderly
24-03-2007, 10:36 PM
The little guy did well,mate,especially considering that today's conditions were less than ideal.

I took my pair to a local creek and my 10 year old daughter caught 2 jungle perch on worms(they also collected the worms).

They then had a swim and we came home and released the JP's into our barra pond.

Happy kids, and a happy dad.

cheers Scott