PDA

View Full Version : Slanging matches

chris_s
22-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I may get a few stones thrown at me over this thread, but if there is one thing i have noticed when reading these pages is that there are a number of people, and some seem to be repeat offenders that need to get involved in a slanging match with people over trivial matters and they need to ridicule people for their opinions. If somebody asks a question can we please just answer it to the best of our abilities. If somebody posts an answer and they are wrong or a little off, do we really need to single them out? How about just getting over it, post your reply and move on, without having to embarrass people for their lack of knowledge. After all, dont we all learn something new everyday and isn't this what this site is all about, to learn and share our experiences.

For those who disagree well maybe we need to add another page "sh!t stirrers page"

RCG008
22-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Nicely said.

I too have noticed some weird comments. And they same weird. It's only the internet. A jest here and there for the people who know each other. But some comments I'm sure would be different if were all face to face.

Type on!

kingtin
22-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I must be missing something as I see very little of "slanging matches" here. There are the odd disagreements but they are few and far between compared to most chat forums and I think this can be put down to the moderators as well as the fact that most folk here are simply nice people.

What's the membership here now? I reckon it's pushing 18000 by now.............jeeez, there's only 4 in my house atm and we have more slanging matches than the whole membership here ;D

Get any bunch of people together and you'll get disagreements, get this many and I think we're lucky that there ain't more aggro

kev

manchild
22-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Good post mate.Imo if you dont know what you talking about you shouldnt post on the thread or at least dont present your half past knowledge as a fact.It is especially true with advice on $ 20000 outboards and such.It can cause a lot of damage and dollars .Other than that we all got different opinions on things so go for it.If you get yourself involved in the slanging match its kinda your fault.Keep it real and colourful i say .
George

finga
23-03-2007, 07:27 AM
I may get a few stones thrown at me over this thread, but if there is one thing i have noticed when reading these pages is that there are a number of people, and some seem to be repeat offenders that need to get involved in a slanging match with people over trivial matters and they need to ridicule people for their opinions. If somebody asks a question can we please just answer it to the best of our abilities. If somebody posts an answer and they are wrong or a little off, do we really need to single them out? How about just getting over it, post your reply and move on, without having to embarrass people for their lack of knowledge. After all, dont we all learn something new everyday and isn't this what this site is all about, to learn and share our experiences.

For those who disagree well maybe we need to add another page "sh!t stirrers page"

Well isn't that a load of hogs wollow!!!
Just kidding matey :)
The only I get into slanging matches is when somebody tells people not to fuse bilge pumps.
Then I go off :o
But my response to this thread is the same as Jeremy's....just don't take any notice. People aren't blind and can see when someones just a stirrer or just a nuisance or a bad info giver.
In my case I don't give one ioda what the 'poo stirrers' say because I just don't read what the 'poo stirrers' have to say. :)

T1
23-03-2007, 08:27 AM
It happens in all walks of life! And always will! Some are just like that, some like to 'big note' and others are just, well, the others! But in the main, i think the great majority on here are tops!

Take Care T

PinHead
23-03-2007, 03:50 PM
finga..I cannot see any reason to put a fuse on a bilge pump.

PinHead
23-03-2007, 03:51 PM
ok..i am just s stirring...seeing if a slanging match starts

finga
23-03-2007, 04:58 PM
ok..i am just s stirring...seeing if a slanging match starts
We'll settle this over a bottle (or few) of stoney's :2vrolijk_08:

Taipan
23-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I get a good laugh at work on the 4x4 folder. Someone will post a question about a fridge, Well that just kicks of the Waeco vs Engel etc debate, one debate started 2 weeks ago and people are still egging each other on.
Same as Nissan vs Toyoto's.

I think most try to do the right thing, sometimes the answers they give are not 100% correct. If i post anything with regards to info, it's do with past experiences. Thats my opinion anyways.

shaman
23-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't mind a bit of a "slanging match" every now and then & I like to giggle at some of the comebacks. BUT what I don't like is people slagging other people over innocent responses especially when the slagging is either unjustified or the "slagger" is acting with an obvious lack of information regarding the said post.
The world is full of experts but a few of them don't quite know how to impart their knowledge gracefully.

PinHead
23-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I am an expert..at nothing...BUT...the wife is an expert at everything..just ask her.

Poodroo
24-03-2007, 08:01 AM
There are some great members on this site and a lot of whom I have met personally. Individuality is the key to many a disaggreement. It is what makes us all human after all. If we were all the same it would get very boring. I have even become good friends with some who have disaggreed with me in the past. I never hold that against them. For the genuine trouble makers they do get well moderated and warned and repeat offenders get banned. Simple system that works. I love this site!!! :) By the way it is "slaying matches" not slanging! :P

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
24-03-2007, 09:54 AM
By the way it is "slaying matches" not slanging! :P

Regards,

Poodroo
Is not!!! :angry:
;D

JEWIENEWIE
24-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Everyone i believe has something of value to contribute to this site in some shape or form. I personally have learnt a truck load of info from people on this site from which knot to use to which boat to buy but feel that it is important that when giving advice to some one, if you are not a expert in the field or not sure excactly, ploease let the person know. And before making any smart arse comments, ask yourself, what have i got to achieve in making this comment, if there is nothing to achieve by making it than making someone feel stupid or inadequate then dont make it(unless tongue in cheek of course, theres always room for humour). There is a huge pool of talent and knowledge amongst our users, so lets keep asking questions, keep giving answers or opinions and let the good times roll!!
Jewie;D 8-)

kingtin
24-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Everyone i believe has something of value to contribute to this site in some shape or form. I personally have learnt a truck load of info from people on this site from which knot to use to which boat to buy but feel that it is important that when giving advice to some one, if you are not a expert in the field or not sure excactly, ploease let the person know. And before making any smart arse comments, ask yourself, what have i got to achieve in making this comment, if there is nothing to achieve by making it than making someone feel stupid or inadequate then dont make it(unless tongue in cheek of course, theres always room for humour). There is a huge pool of talent and knowledge amongst our users, so lets keep asking questions, keep giving answers or opinions and let the good times roll!!
Jewie;D 8-)

Just about says it all, Jewie. Spot on mate :D

kev

theoldlegend
24-03-2007, 02:16 PM
To Finga and Pinhead,

Youse pair really should get your act together. One cracks up about having a fuse on a bilge pump and the other reckons you dont need one. Do either one of you know what you're talking about? I suspect not. Actually Pinhead, do you have a bilge pump on TMD? You didn't point it out to me at the last GOM M & G. Maybe we should have another one in the not too distant future, so you can show me.

I'll meet both of you any time at any nominated boat ramp. If you're game that is. Bring whatever you like, but it had better be good!!

TOL

Reel Nauti
24-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Ya gotta love it!!

choppa
24-03-2007, 02:47 PM
To Finga and Pinhead,

Youse pair really should get your act together. One cracks up about having a fuse on a bilge pump and the other reckons you dont need one. Do either one of you know what you're talking about? I suspect not. Actually Pinhead, do you have a bilge pump on TMD? You didn't point it out to me at the last GOM M & G. Maybe we should have another one in the not too distant future, so you can show me.

I'll meet both of you any time at any nominated boat ramp. If you're game that is. Bring whatever you like, but it had better be good!!

TOL

i gotta agree mate,,, what else would you look for if your sinking,,, and switch on the pump,,, all is good,,, then next thing nothing,,,,

i'd try and find the fuse,,, wouldn't blame lack of maintenance straight away,,??

theoldlegend
24-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Het Choppa,

Good to hear from you again. Mate, all I know about fuses is that you put new wire in them when they burn out. That's the best I can offer.

As you know, I used to be a public servant. Therefore, I know nothing. Just Like Sgt Schultz.

TOL

Poodroo
24-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Is not!!! :angry:
;D

Is too is too!!!!! >:( >:(

;D ;D 8-)

Poodroo

PinHead
24-03-2007, 05:24 PM
To Finga and Pinhead,

TOL

actually TOL...there are 3 bilge pumps on it and not a single fuse...a modern creation on board call "circuit breakers"..might be a bit hard for an old public servant to understand. As for meeting at a ramp..how about at a berth..I will bring hooks.

PinHead
24-03-2007, 05:25 PM
oh..and perhaps u better drag that old grumpy bugger finga along also.

theoldlegend
24-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Circuit breakers? I think I've got some of them in the fuse box down stairs. I think I have anyway. Don't know. Some bloke said they were earth leakage thingos. They're supposed to stop you from getting electrocuted.

Aren't they?

If you blokes wouldn't have had a slanging match, then I would haven't got involved in this this crap.

Therefore it's all your fault. The pair of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

TOL

onerabbit
24-03-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't mind a bit of a "slanging match" every now and then & I like to giggle at some of the comebacks. BUT what I don't like is people slagging other people over innocent responses especially when the slagging is either unjustified or the "slagger" is acting with an obvious lack of information regarding the said post.
The world is full of experts but a few of them don't quite know how to impart their knowledge gracefully.

Spot-on Shaman,

I have a very quiet nature, but even I have been draw into a fairly fiery debate over a simple comment that I still believe to be true.
The other party has been abscent from the site for a while now, which is a pity, because if he had settled a bit, we all could have learned a lot.

Many here can be considered experts in their chosen field, & there are a lot of
who are happy to share their expertise.

I think most problems start when someone bags another for their lack of "higher" knowledge on a given subject, instead of trying to impart this knowledge in a way that we can all understand it.

I'll be quiet now,

Muzz

shaman
24-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah Muzz I think i remember the thread and the other member and if it's the one I think it was I used to enjoy his posts and some of his comments were very quick and entertaining................. (was he a big fella????)

mattooty
25-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Im fairly sure the mods have got most of them downpat.
If something is obviously there to stir Sh!t then 9 times out of ten it'lll be removed.
But in reality, there are a few quick minded members who no longer frequent the site that were an absolute GOLDMINE of knowledge.
Matt

kingtin
25-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Therefore it's all your fault. The pair of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

TOL

Pull yer heads in the three of yooz. There's enough slanging/slagging/slaying goes on at this site without you three stirring it

kev

PS What's a bilge pump? ;D

BilgeBoy
25-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Maybe we need an Ausfish Sin Bin :bobby:

That way the kiddies can have a little "Time out" to cool off:mean:

I must admit the banter can be somewhat humorous at times!!!

BilgeBoy

PinHead
25-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Pull yer heads in the three of yooz. There's enough slanging/slagging/slaying goes on at this site without you three stirring it

kev

PS What's a bilge pump? ;D

now our pommy mate wants to know what a bilge pump is..sheesh...that is when you get some water in the bilge..the deckie gets down there with an ice cream can and bails it out....when the abuse from the bilge gets really bad you know the fuse is about to blow.

kingtin
25-03-2007, 03:10 PM
now our pommy mate wants to know what a bilge pump is..sheesh...that is when you get some water in the bilge..the deckie gets down there with an ice cream can and bails it out....when the abuse from the bilge gets really bad you know the fuse is about to blow.

When the abuse from the deckie gets bad, I know that the fuse has already blown.............normally happens when the pick is stuck. Fixing/placation is by way of gentle words of encouragement/gratitude. Under no circumstances say, "here love, let me do it" this only facilitates the blowing of more fuses and words such as, "bugger off knowall, do you think I'm bloody useless, or what?" ::)

kev

PS what's a bilge? ;D

choppa
25-03-2007, 03:20 PM
when the abuse from the bilge gets really bad you know the fuse is about to blow.

wish you would make up ya mind,,,, is there a fuse in the bilge pump,,, or not????

onerabbit
25-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe we need an Ausfish Sin Bin :bobby:

That way the kiddies can have a little "Time out" to cool off:mean:

I must admit the banter can be somewhat humorous at times!!!

BilgeBoy

How about a feud room where those with conflict can get it off their chest without inciting the mods, & the rest of us could get a good laugh as well.............................................. ..............................

Muzz

Chezzy13
25-03-2007, 05:08 PM
LOL...:D.. A feuding room, will it be rated R..;)

manchild
25-03-2007, 05:20 PM
You guys are all stupid ,im the only one that knows everything;D
George

Chezzy13
25-03-2007, 05:24 PM
LOL @ That... :)

blaze
25-03-2007, 06:46 PM
and it aint slagging, or what ever ya thought it was its
SLINGING S**T

Hoodie
26-03-2007, 05:33 AM
No truer words have been said,
this is the best site for boaties
dont give it a bad name with yobbos being on it

finga
26-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Gees, who the old bugger???
When was the last time anybody saw ice-cream in cans???
I reckon TOL would even have trouble remembering when this happened.
;D

Looks like I'm going to get banned. I'm a self confessed yobbo:-/...and proud :D

Choppa, mate. Bung a thread up in boating about fusing, or installing an over-current protection device in (there you go Mr smarty pants), a bilge and see what happens. I'll be nice...honest ;D ::)
:happy:

Grand_Marlin
26-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Kingtin,

If you are going to stick the fuse into the bilgepump while she is bailing with a bucket ;D ;D

.... you had better put on an overload protection device :o :o :o

Cheers

Pete

onerabbit
26-03-2007, 08:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, damn , wish I could get the new emoticons to work.

SgBFish
28-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Finga this way off track but so funny I have to put it in. This is from the 2000 Darwin Awards concerning fuses.

2000The Darwin Awards

These prestigious awards presented annually (and posthumously) recognize those people, who through their stupid and inane actions kill themselves, thus improving society by removing their genes from the gene pool.

AND FINALLY: [Arkansas Democrat Gazette] Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Centre. The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pick-up truck headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 calibre bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. After inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded toward the White River Bridge. After travelling about 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply right exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off or we might both be dead" stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for ten years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened," said Snyder. Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck. (Way to go, Lavinia).

Cheers,
Scott

finga
28-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Good one Scott :)
With names like Dovey Snyder, Thurston Poole (sounds like he was on Gilligans Island) and Billy Ray Wallis and places with names Des Arc (is this a place or person??), Little Rock and Cotton Patch they nearly deserve to get shot.
Hopefully, at least one of them may not be able to reproduce again :)
Maybe I should send this into Mythbusters for them to do a story on it??
Cheers Scott :)

Black_Rat
28-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I may get a few stones thrown at me over this thread,

Seems every has resorted to throwing marsh mellows ;D ;D ;D

shaman
28-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Scott, that is P!SS FUNNY mate I love stuff that gives me a belly laugh.
Any ideas what they were doing hunting frogs and what were they gunna do with 'em??????????????? ODD HUH

kingtin
28-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Scott, that is P!SS FUNNY mate I love stuff that gives me a belly laugh.
Any ideas what they were doing hunting frogs and what were they gunna do with 'em??????????????? ODD HUH

Well knowing those good ol' southern boys and their penchant for all things animal, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess ;D

kev

1975fflh
30-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I have always found the Ausfishers to be a wealth of knowledge and I do ask a few basic questions at times. I do not mind someone having a good natured Aussie go at me after all is it not the Australian way to take the p_ss out of each other, it shows we are mature and do not take ourselves to seriously and it also helps keep us down to earth.

Please do not become Politically correct it has already destroyed our colourful language and our history in favour of sour faced, thin skinned, hairy armpitted word Nazis.

Gordo

finga
30-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Am I allowed to call anybody a big sheila???

WHALEOIL
30-03-2007, 04:00 PM
This is a very tame and well moderated forum with plenty of good info.
Head over to planet rugby if you want to see s##t fights. A very thick skin is required there.

kingtin
30-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Am I allowed to call anybody a big sheila???

Yeah.............anybody except me ;);D

kev

finga
30-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah.............anybody except me ;);D

kev
Why not ya nancy girl???
;D

kingtin
30-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Why not ya nancy girl???
;D

'Cause it'll hurt my feminine side, ya big poofta! ;D

kev

roz
30-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Why not ya nancy girl???
;D

Hang on a sec finga!!!

Don't pick on the female of the species too much pal... remember who's going to be at the RBW in May.

Rozweiler:devilish:

JoeQ
30-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I am an expert..at nothing...BUT...the wife is an expert at everything..just ask her.
here here iam the same in my house.......

Hey but on the bright side we save money on Encyclopedias because the bloody wife knows everything.....::)

finga
30-03-2007, 08:57 PM
This is a good thread :D