PDA

View Full Version : Fish ID please

snasman
22-03-2007, 08:47 AM
:D Hi all, I had the good fortune to get a spot on outsiderskip,s boat on tuesday as a deckie,we didnt break any records with the fishing but I had a ball with the few we got and you couldnt have asked for much better conditions on the day.This orange thing was pulled onboard but neither of us knew what it was so some help here would be nice and the other pic I was told what it was but have forgoten.(sea bream I think) Thanks Guys,Cheers Snas

Roo
22-03-2007, 10:20 AM
the "sea bream" is a Blue Morwong. not the mother-in-law variety tho' these are very good eating. I have no idea what the orange thing is.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/ndouglas.htm

cheers, roo

kingtin
22-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Dunno what it is but if that's it's ovipositor sticking out it's vent, then it's spawning time.

kev

Tezza@Tannum
22-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Don't Know what the orange one is, But I thought the other was a Blubber-Lip Bream

kris75
22-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi guy's. that orange fella looks like a nannygai to me, a long time since i caught one, but he looks familiar.
kris

snasman
22-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks orbyroo after looking at that site I'd have to agree with you , that it is a blue morwong .it was caught at 100 m of water just like the web page said ,now if only the mystery of the orange one could be revealed.thanks

ffejsmada
22-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Snas,
Could it be an Orange Perch. "caprodon schegeli" ?

snasman
22-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi guy's. that orange fella looks like a nannygai to me, a long time since i caught one, but he looks familiar.
kris

Thats kris 75 I went to the site that orbyroo posted and im still not sure if thats it (nannygai )either but thanks anyway .

mitch qld
22-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Kinda looks like some sort of fusileer, but couldnt be ceratin. Definently got me stumped!

Cheers, Mitch.

rockfisho
22-03-2007, 04:20 PM
The one on the right looks like a Blue Mowie to me, however there are many blubberlips which look very similar.

How long did you take the photos after you pulled them in, because some fishes colourations, especially the blubberlips, change incredibly quickly, after they are landed.

rockfisho

RCG008
22-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Im backing a Fusileer of some sorts for the orange guy/girl. Has the same shape as the ones down here. Not same colour but definetly the shape. Put good money on the other being a Morwong.

bballfisho
22-03-2007, 06:12 PM
i'd say that its an orange roughy. looks pretty similar

Silent
22-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Possible "Orange roughy" but mouth does not match data and mouth size would be large conform to identification

Donnie
22-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Dont know what the red thing is but the other is a Morwong as already said. Great eating.
I didnt think they would be up here as i thought they were southern only?
I stand corrected.

Catcha

SeaSaw
22-03-2007, 10:51 PM
The orange one is a member of the Caprodon family. Probably a Caprodon Schlegeli, as suggested by ffejsmada. Common names are specked perch or orange perch. For an exact identification you would need to contact the museum. The scientists are still trying to work out the how many species there actually are in the caprodon family as little is really known about them (almost no commercial harvest and rec fishos dont send specimens in). They are not that uncommon but have not been studied widely. Usually caught in depths between 100 and 300m.

Cheers,

Mark

snasman
27-03-2007, 06:32 PM
thanks for all of you that had an imput Ive sent the pic off to the Qld museum so when I find out ill post it up, the first responce was that it may be a fusilier of some sort Thanks Snas