PDA

View Full Version : Savage Marlin 6.5m

runamuk 1
22-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Can anyone give me any info on the Savage Marlin 6.5 please, When and where were they made and what should i look for in buying one, im currently looking at one with twin 85hp Force/Mercurys.
Can anyone give me info on the motors as well please as i dont know much about the Force/Mercurys.
Any info would help.

Cheers

Dave

Kerry
22-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Force? Would be getting on in years but still made up until about the late 90's, simple uncomplicated engines, basically an offshot of the old Chrysler engine.

If they are running ok then let them run, you have 2 of em.

Noelm
22-03-2007, 12:56 PM
the old savage would be a reasonable boat, but I would ge trying to get it for a very good price, as you will need to factor in new motors, a force was not all that flash when they were "young", they might go OK, but their life is limited now.

runamuk 1
22-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys ,the seller just got back to me with some info, the motor's are 89 model and no hour meter so i dont really know what condition there in.
He is asking $17,000 but will take $15,000. I think he's about $5,000 to dear, what do you think?

FNQCairns
22-03-2007, 04:28 PM
They are good boats and although I had not much to do with them they had a good reputation.

Too much, IMO I cannot get the numbers to work, hard also at $10k as a person should not be factoring in those engines at all into the equation, they are as little as 1 trip or 2 or 5 years from the wreckers, who is to say!

How much is 2 new tech 90hp engines today fitted 25k? + 15k boat purchase minus 2.5k trade/sale of 2 x 85hp engines (1 blown)= 37.5k spent, resale 1 month later at around the 25K assuming all is still good. That's a lot of $ unaccounted for in short order unless you do keep it 10years or so to make it work.

IMO you could do a lot better for near 40k but boats can be an emotional choice.

If you do consider the purchase get a full mechanical workout with estimated costs to give a reliable 7-10 years of further service (probably require full rebuilds depending), that should wipe 5K+ straight of the asking price.

cheers fnq

scorpionNQ
23-03-2007, 10:39 AM
If you check your local newsagent out, Jeff Webster has a mag on buying older boats. In it is an artical with a 4-5 page feature on 'International Paints' doing a total refit of a very poor condition Savage Marlin. Exellent read. They did say that the Savage was a very well built boat.
FNQ is right, if you intend keeping it for 10 years, spend the dollars, and it would be a great boat. I have an older 6.25 cruise craft, done a partial refit, owes me 30k already, have just talked the wife into a new 200 Opti, the boat will owe me 50k, but I will own it, and it is an exellent sea boat, with reliability and good fuel econamy, which fits my needs perfectly.and new 6.25 price is 75K. The 80's hulls, haines, savage, carrabian, seafarer, cruse craft etc, are heavier, classic riding rigs.
Cheers
Lee

jimbo59
23-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I just finished doing up a marlin they are a great hull the boat came with 2 115 jonno's 78 model's and they were original fitment.I sold the motors raised the transom and fitted a pod with a 96 yamaha 200.The trailer will need break-away brakes this must be accounted into the overall cost of the rig as they are a 2k item.My boat was cheap at 5k.Do your home work the forces wont be with you for long;)