PDA

View Full Version : whats the ideal boat size and type for offshore fishing.

timddo
21-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Looking at upgrading my boat to a bigger boat for more offshore fishing and more comfy bay fishing , What is the size boat. i currently have 4.85m runabout. Is self draining deck that important or level floation.

goldfish
22-03-2007, 05:03 AM
i think it all depends on budgets more than most other things. i have a 30ft cruisrer it does the job well with plenty of room and comfort but is a bit slow and not as adjile as a smaller boat. & the bigger the boat just means the more useless crap you seem to take out. somewhere aronnd the 20ft mark with a heap of grunt would be good.
cheers
rick

Getout
22-03-2007, 07:47 AM
If you want to fish within 5 miles of shore, you can get by with most well-made boats over 15ft. If you need to travel in open water for longer distance, bigger is better.
I prefer standing up to drive, so small runabouts with low canopies are not my favourite. Centre consoles and cabs with biminis give plenty of fresh air and sun protection.
On a calm day, you can fish out of anything, once you are there. Getting there and back is the hard bit.

STUIE63
22-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Where do you fish will have an impact on this answer if down south you will want cover from weather therefore a cabin of some sort.if up north cold becomes less of a problem so c/c is okay.Do you want to sleep in the boat ? how many people do you fish with ? who are they mates ,missus, kids ?What sort of fish do you fish for large fish like mackeral you might want a kill tank. smaller fish you only need an esky. there will be a lot more questions like this that you need to ask yourself. when you have answered them then you will have answerd your question
Stuie

FNQCairns
22-03-2007, 10:01 AM
IMO up until the law madates breakaway brakes on the trailer so up to around 6m for a trailerboat, after that it all starts to get difficult (fuss and bother + higher ongoing costs) compared to your current boat.

A 5.5 in a good hull, is still fairly cheap in ongoing and running costs and is still an easy low-bother boat size that will get you offshore, bigger is always better if heading offshore but not nessesarily more fun or fish worthy than smaller rigs.

For me today if I felt the need (want) for a bigger boat than 6.0m I would moor it and would like to jump to 28ft and diesel.

Self draining deck can be nice but that's about it, level floatation is a great idea, if you can combine the two that's best.

cheers fnq

Kerry
22-03-2007, 10:36 AM
"Offshore" can mean different things to different people depending on the location, water, conditions etc. As far as the weather forecast is concerned coastal waters forecast is 60nm off the coast, this is not really classed as offshore waters (technically) but is still a bloody long way and obviously further than you intend.

As someone mentioned getting back can appear (and feel) twice as far as getting there.

It peevs me that some manufacturers have the hide to include the word "offshore" in a non self draining vessel model name as it gives the impression that the boat is more capable than it could be, ignoring other factors of course

Regards, Kerry.

saurian
22-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Imo , about 6-6.5m self draining deck etc.....And offshore I would personally class as out of site of the mainland.
Ta

Roughasguts
22-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I have a 5 Metre Signature, and I wouldn't class that size as close to off shore.
It's to light, to narrow, to heavy in the arse end.

But once you get to 6 metre theres a hell of a lot more boat there, wider, more stable and better balanced, so I would be thinking if your a single operator, 6 metre max, but if you have a hand at the ramp go up to 7 metres.

Then again in the twin hulls you may be able to go smaller by a metre, don't know never been in one.

saurian
22-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Roughy , twins pretty similar size needed. Water line length is probably the term needed, 5.5m water line length and above.
Ta

Tassie JR
22-03-2007, 06:36 PM
hey mate i would probally suggest anything from 5.5 metre 7.0 metre mine is a 6.4 metre and i travel up to 75 km off shore and do overnighters and i dont have problem with it.
cheers tassie JR

GAD
22-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I got a 5m bowrider with 115 suzy 4stroke and have been out 50+klm out and stayed over nite , good weather , but If it got a bit shitty I'd have left , and headed to shelter or home. Must admit first few times seen me a bit nervous, but now I'll leave at night and come home in the morning as it's too hot in the sun .
But in the end it's what you feel comfortable in and what you can afford and what it will be used for that will decide what boat you get.
And if you can get a ride in a few different boats it will help you decide .

Greg

chuss
22-03-2007, 08:22 PM
i've had the worst experience offshore in a 5m stessle centre console.

30km out from Gove, doing an overnighter in perfect weather, catching some good fish, eating snags, etc... 3am the weather turns to poo, no rain, but very large swell (4m) and high winds..

3 of us, all experienced boaties with some common sense managed to get thru the night and back home in the morning.. .So in theory a 5m CC can handle offshore..

ALL DEPENDS ON THE SKIPPER..

It's not how big, but how you use it...!!! :))

finding_time
22-03-2007, 09:09 PM
"O
It peevs me that some manufacturers have the hide to include the word "offshore" in a non self draining vessel model name as it gives the impression that the boat is more capable than it could be, ignoring other factors of course

Regards, Kerry.

I really enjoy reading your post kerry, you just seem to get to the heart of the issue

Ian

finding_time
22-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Things to consider.

How many anglers do you want to take?

Comfort? how sore will you be when you get back.

Tow vehicle.

Storage.

Apperance of rig. Does this matter to you or is it just a platform

Safety of rig. True self drainer, positive floatationabove water line, 1 or 2 engines.

Buget.

If you answer these questions you will be well on your way to YOUR ideal offshore fishing boat or ship

finding_time
22-03-2007, 09:17 PM
woops , lack of practice

ian