PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer V Sea

mako101
21-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I`m keen to get a V Sea, but the price of them varies a lot, wondering are the older models still considered strong, and what would be considered a good deal for a good old version?.
I`ve seen them advertised anywhere between $4000-$23,000.
Also what size motor is ideal for them and what top speed approximately would they do?.
Any other info on V Seas would be a help.

whichway
21-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi

I had one with a 90 Yam. Beautiful, beautiful motor, but in my view too big for the original V sea. I would think a 70 would be best. Mine had a new transom which had been built up, which was good. I got an underfloor tank put in, and I wouldn't do that again, it would only just take 60l. Nice boat, tended to take waves over the front a bit in the slop sometimes, but maybe that was just me. I sold mine for about $9k, and it was about the best I saw, so I wouldn't pay much more than that.

Whichway

fishingrod
21-03-2007, 07:52 PM
On the "older" 4.7m V-Seas, a 70hp 2 stroke carby was the most popular choice. (normally a inline 3 cyclinder)

Ive never owned one, but maybe around 29-32 knots top speed with a small to medium load. Ive read that a bigger motor can be too heavy and upset the trim and running angle. You might be able to get away with a carby 2 stroke 90hp Merc or Yamaha as these were only 3 cyclinder and should be lighter than the other brands that were V4.

Bear in mind that live bait tank, twin batteries and a big bloke standing at the back is a lot of weight !

They are getting pretty old now. I think they were made from around 1980 to 1992. Give or take a year or two.

At the very end of their life they made a version with a full outboard pod extension and a self draining deck. These are very rare.

If you get a properly refurbished one, or a well kept later model it should be OK. There is heaps of info on these forums site about what to look for when buying 2nd hand fibreglass boats.

Is it a good deal?
Have a think what the trailer is worth (maybe $300-$2000).
The motor might be $3-4K (for a late 90's 70hp)
Hull = depending on age and condition
The accessories might be worth a fait bit to to replace (eg sounder,canopy,radios, GPS etc) but their value second hand is a lot lot less.

cheers
Rod

PS ive seen a few around in factory yellow and they look awesum with a black framed windscreen. (if they havent faded)
I think the ones with the coloured hulls were introduced about mid-way thru the series.

onerabbit
21-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Just a thought on the older Seafarers,

As fishingrod has quite rightfully pointed out, these boats are far from new.

Their big down-fall at this point is the fact that they are built on Marante timber (probably spelt wrong), which is light & strong, but doesn't take to water too well & after 30 odd years of use..........................

When looking at a Seafarer of this vintage you must keep this in mind when buying.

I bought my Seafarer Vermont ( 5.25 )nearly 7years ago in good condition, & she has never let me down, even in the most extreme moments.

A couple of years ago it became pretty obvious that the transom was suffering, cracks were appearing under the aluminium strip at the top & there were a few "soft spots" also.
In the end I had all the timbers cut out & replaced with marine ply, new transom, new floors & side pockets. This cost about 3k.

Apart from giving my old girl a new lease on life, this added a lot of down-low weight, which has made her an even better boat at sea.
This was a viable option for me as I love my old girl & wouldn't trade it for a new one, but as a buyer, it may be worth keeping in mind.

Just my opinion,

Muzz

mcgilld
21-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I sold one last year to upgrade to a larger rig. Interestingly, the 3 people most interested in buying (and the one who eventually purchased) had owned them previously! They're very versatile, roomy and seaworthy - I suspect i'll be looking for one again myself one day.
I had a 75 carby merc that went well and pulled 28-32 knots depending on load. I'd only go bigger if it was a newer model (light weight DFI) and I was loading up for long trips.
They were produced from 1971 to 1993. I had a '79 and it had manyyears of life left in it. Don't go on age - go on condition.
I've never heard the 'Marante?' timber comment, but I have it on good advice that all the ply used in popular Australian makes pre early 80's used an epoxy that breaks down after 20 years. I suspect how soon after 20 years is the key and depends on use and water ingress, drying, how well the boat was looked after, etc. Take a hammer with you to check out the floor and transom or have someone check it out who knows how.
Cheers
DM

Noelm
22-03-2007, 07:06 AM
"lived" in seafarers for years(and sold them for a living for a while) the old ones are very good but do suffer from soft floors and transom, the main reason they are so varied in price is because they are made for such a long time, a 90 yamaha will be a good motor for one as it is a light weight 90 a lot had 70's on them and this was considered ideal, and some really early ones had 50HP but that was minimum to be any good, a mate of mine had a 140 on his, he used it for everything, skiing, fishing, hooning aroung, the lot, so a lot of choice out there, just look for the usual "soft" things on an old one,and those fold down seats will drive you nuts if you have them folded when anchored and they bang all the time from the rocking, a lot of bad falls came from them as well, people sitting on that single leg fold up seat, can very interesting when you hit a wave and the leg folds up, you come down on your bum on the floor,, you only do that once!! they are a tad nose heavy when at rest and a refreshing wave over the front keeps you awake at times, nothing dangerous, just "interesting", all in all though a good boat for the size and price if you can find a good old one.

Runamuck
22-03-2007, 07:25 AM
A bloody good boat!

I run an older 17 ft seafarer with a new 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, carrying 160 litres of fuel and pulling 40 knots.
If you purchase a good one it wont let you down!

ozscott
22-03-2007, 08:07 AM
I bought my Vagabond - late 70s or early 80s a few years back. It had been re-powered with a 94 115 Yammy and goes very well. The marine surveyor who looked at it and is well known down the coats - very experienced - told me that it had some rot in the transom (only the section with the wood in it right in the centre through which the motor bolts pass - the rest of solid fibreglass. I jumped on the extended leg of the motor and he and I and others in my family could witness no flex in the transom whatsoever. He told me that thats not unusual because they are a curved transom and they have so much glass that there could be no decent wood left - ie all soft - and it would make no practical difference with this boat and motor. I did as he suggested and drilled holes down from the top under the alloy strip and pumped Evidure down there and then sealed it all up. It runs through rough stuff with large loads and no problems. I still swing off the tilted up leg from time to time but there is never any flex at all. He also said that the floor was solid (as my inspection confirmed) but he had seen vagabonds that had been let go with holes in the hull, wear through the coat etc and had had ingress into the stringers. He said that the amount of glass was such that again it wasnt really a problem.

My point is that whilst I am all for being prudent, unless its necessary a $6-9000 job of transom and stringer repair on a 20 odd foot trailer boat is a waste. I did it on a Haines I had, but its floor was spongy underfoot. When in doubt replace, but make sure unless its obvious you have a reputable marine surveyor take a good inspection first.

Just m 2 cents and dont take what I say from my experience of only 4 boats or so plus friends boats as a substitute for a good insepction and testing by an expert please!

Cheers and good luck

jimbo59
23-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I have just finished floor and stringers on a v sea centre consol it came with factory foam floor and paper thin hull it must have been a special lightweight order,it was a pig of a thing to repair>:(

bushbeachboy
23-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Take a look at the Escape Marine 'Fugitive'. It is remarkably 4.74 metres long, and looks just like an updated v-sea.