PDA

View Full Version : Bust off's at the leader knot???

boogdude
21-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Over the weekend i probable got 20 bust offs at where my leader knot was joined. I use the albright knot on all my rigs. I was only getting busted on two rods both with suffix braid. One at 30lb, 40lb leader and other 10lb, 12lb leader. Yet all my other rods, with the bulkier fireline if snagged up would bust at the hook, not the leader knot.

Do i require another knot for the suffix as it is considerable smaller then the leader compared to the fireline.

I have tried doubling up the braid, and still happend.

what should i do, as it gets a bit annoying when you hook something big and the line always busts at the leader knot.

thanks

luigi
21-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Mate, try the double uni knot using 8 turns with braid/gelspun & finish off with a half-hitch. 5 turns with mono & no half-hitch.

I've been using this joining system for years without hassles.

Cheers - Lou

craig51063
21-03-2007, 09:50 PM
mate i know that feeling
see my thread ,i got some great advice
tight lines

but not to tight mite get some more bust offs......lololol

cheers
craig

Cheech
22-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I have been having similar problems, but never breaking at the join, always breaking at the bimini where the know joins the main line. Note that bimini and braid/leader knot is stronger than double uni.

I recently tried sufix, but continued to have the same problems. I do like the way suffix feel and casts a mile, so will give it one more go, but at a much higher breaking strain. The 20lb sufix is thinner or about the same as 10lb fireline, so that is what I will try next to replace my 10lb fireline.

The thing with sufix is that it breakes close to the rated strength, whereas most break at a higher strength. ie don't replace 10lb with 10lb and expect the same strength.

GPB
22-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Luigi, I want to try your version of the uni knot, sounds like a good one.:D
Q: 1. Is the braid single or doubled [bimini twist]?:-/
2. Is the 1/2 hitch inside or outside the loop?
PS.You look quite tropical.8-)

BilgeBoy
22-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Bimini Twist in the Braid and a double uni to join the braid to the mono.

Happy to lend you a video that will show you how!!! just PM me ya details.

BilgeBoy

luigi
22-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Luigi, I want to try your version of the uni knot, sounds like a good one.:D
Q: 1. Is the braid single or doubled [bimini twist]?:-/
2. Is the 1/2 hitch inside or outside the loop?
PS.You look quite tropical.8-)

G'day GPB,

Braid/gelspun is single strand - not doubled. The half-hitch is applied outside the loop after the two knots are pulled up tight.

I then trim the tag ends leaving about 3 to 4mm on the braid end & cut mono off flush with the knot. NB...only do five turns & no half-hitch with mono as it will bulk the knot up too much & won't go through your rod runners smoothly.

Mate, she gets a bit hot out in the shed up here so the less gear on the better ay 8-)

Cheers Lou

grave41
22-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I've had the same trouble.Now 7turns up and back with no troubles
Graham

Matthias
23-03-2007, 07:48 AM
boogdude- Your line will break at the wekest point, so if your hook knot is stronger than your joining knot the joining will break everytime. As said, because fireline is rated lower than it's actual breaking strain it will not break as easily as others of the same claimed strength. So seems like your suffix is weak and your leader is too heavy for the braid so it breaks at the braid. You need to balance your leader to your braid or losen your drag a little.

Also as was said last week, why not just tie the strongest knots? If you spend alot of time and money fishing then you want the best performance out of your gear. So just tie a bimini double with a bristol knot as leader connection. This is the strongest there is. Goodluck.

Pete.

rando
23-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah
I'm using suffix also , & I have a big question mark over it, as it was breaking at the leader knot, or the bimini

Ive been told by a reliable source that its a re branded cheap Chinese braid .

rando

the gecko
23-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I use a double uni knot with no probs.

Heres 2 tips I picked up off ausfish some time ago;

tip 1- To test your knots, go into the back yard and sink the hooks into the fence.
Walk back about 10 m and then tighten the drag on full.
Lean back and see if the knot will support your body weight without breaking.
If it will support 80kg of bloke, then it will not break with a 20kg fish.

Tip no 2;
use a set of scales to set your drag. Get a mate to hold the scales on the hook, and walk backwards and ask your mate to yell out what the scales say under load. Set the drag to peel off line at 1/3 of the breaking strain of the line.

Do these 2 things, and youll always have confidence in your gear when you get a fish on. Works for me.

cheers
Andrew