PDA

View Full Version : Background to Haines Hunter 530SLR

Splash
20-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Hello People.

I need your guidance to help me identify the history behind my Haines Hunter 530SLR. ..

I have read all three(3) of Jeff Webster's 2nd hand boat magazine (cover-to-cover) with some possible leads. Also searched web for any snippet of information that may relate to my boat but nothing appears..I am converting this boat into a fishing rig by maximizing cockpit space and enlarging the under-floor storage compartment (original back-to-back seating removed).

Here are some measurements I have taken:
Internal freeboard – 760mm
Internal Beam – 1760mm
External Beam – 2120mm

The 530SLR has storage space forward of helm – not really enough space for cuddy or sleeping berths and single outboard well. It also has a centre opening windscreen and deck to provide easy access to the bow with padded side pockets on both sides of entire cockpit length. The windscreen is low profile. My SLR was first registered in 1989 (but could be post 1991 from my research..)

What I really want to know is where this boat came from (derived from which base model)

Here is some info I have picked up from reading Jeff's mags..

“The Haines Signature 1750 was made from 1987 through to 1991…..An excellent bow rider was also released – built from 1989 and phased out around 1997. The bow rider is virtually identical to the runabout models, except for the walk through windscreen and large forward seating area….”

“The Haines Signature 630 and 660 RE…was phased out of production in 1993. They were released in 1986 as the 1850 R and 1950R….”

“The 520 Bow Rider was released in 1988…”

“…Haines’ late 1980s Series of low profile Signature cuddy cabins all look very similar…..”

“The Haines Hunter 580SL was introduced in 1983 to replace the popular 565L…low profile half cabin, …sleek sweeping deck lines…”

“The 580 boat series comprsed several configurations including the very sleek looking runabout called the 580SLR…”

“…with the 1750L, a model which subsequently became the 530L in 1991 when Signature went metric…When shopping for a late model, make sure that what you’re buying is not an old model with a new metric sticker on the side….”

“One of Haines Hunter’s longest running models, the 600R (later called the 600SLR) was in production from 1979, through to 1993…”

“The 600R was originally fitted with twin, four seater back-to-back helm chairs, along with moulded rear quarter seats. Other features include a low set windscreen, under foredeck storage, …., side pockets and ski hooks…..”

Other base models to consider:

Haines Signature 1750R
Haines Hunter V19R
Haines Hunter 580SL

QUESTIONS:

Which reference above best represents my SLR?
Are the chines/planning strakes reversed or are they straight/flattened?
Is my keel plank or flattened?
Do I have a constant deadrise/deep vee hull with standard transom or variable deadrise/stepped hull?
What is original weight of this hull?
What does “SLR” stand for?
Is my deadrise medium (15-17 degrees) or deep vee (20-30 degrees)?
Can you provide me a link showing history of all Haines boats made with corresponding timelines?
Can you also provide me a link showing historical ABIA Boat of Year (fiberglass trailerable category) awards?
Are those molded rear quarter fiberglass recessed areas designed for seating?
Will cutting a large hole in one of these rear quart seat moulds weaken the transom or structure area?
Attached are some photos of my Haines 530SLR.

Hope you can help me..

Splash!

Splash
20-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Some more photos to help identify my hull..

Splash
21-03-2007, 07:10 AM
The hull is fairly heavy and cuts water like butter.

Splash
21-03-2007, 09:16 AM
What would SLR stand for?

dicko1980
21-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Have you phoned Greg Haines or contacted the Haines Factory at all yet to find any information about your hull?

Splash
21-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes,

I have tried Haines - but say they ar eunabel to help as they don't have the records back that far...something to do with comapny change over hands during late 80's or soemthing...

NExt?

foggy
21-03-2007, 12:53 PM
My guess would be the 1750R. Very similar lines.

Foggy

PADDLES
21-03-2007, 01:06 PM
it's a different hull to certainly the later sig 1750R, i've got a 1992 sig 550BR which has a svdh hull and it has a pronounced step at the rear under the motor well. were HH and sig even linked in any way at that time? i thought the two were already totally seperate companies then. ie. HH was sold off whilst they continued with sig.

EDNA
21-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Splash, we have a 1989 Haines Hunter 490SLC, same shape hull, with half cab on top. Has the same sticker on the side rear but with the 490SLC on it. We have found it a great riding hull. Will read with interest what answers you get to your questions. Good luck with your project

John

davez104
21-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure that Haines Hunter and Haines Signature where ever linked as such, but I could be wrong. Allways thought the one brother went out on his own and started the Signature brand. Not sure what the SLR would stand for L usually means Low profile, R for Runabout, F for Fisherman, S I guess could be Sports, not sure what that means when you through them all together. Good luck in finding the information you are after.

Dave.

PADDLES
21-03-2007, 03:43 PM
i didn't even realise the 2 companies were owned by different brothers, i thought it was one family business.

PinHead
21-03-2007, 03:46 PM
John Haines parted ways and started Haines Signature boats. I think the Haines Hunter name was sold to OMC.

Splash
21-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys.

ALl good info here..

Edna - would u mine posting some picis of your SLC?

Edna - do u know if your hull was derived from the V series and made (named) metric?

All - why can't I find any info listed on this hull from web?

Splash

EDNA
21-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Splash, I tried to find out some history of the boat when we bought it a few years ago but had no success.

Am working on the photos.

John

Splash
22-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks Edna/John.

What year was your SLC first registered?

EDNA
22-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Slash, dont know when it was first registered, the model number plate in the motor well reads "89132094SLC"

Homer_Jay
23-03-2007, 07:23 AM
To the best of my knowelge Haines Hunter was started by brothers John and Gary Haines back in the 70's this is when they built the likes of V19R and V19C and formula 233. They were built at the Goodna factory (used the be a boat up high on a pole out the front). This is when they used to race thier boats alot. In the late seventies they went through a tough time with the high price of fuel people stopped buying big heavy boats for a while. They had a company come along and offered to be a financial partner (i think this was OMC). John and Gary signed a deal with them. But after a while they found that they had no control of things and couldnt built boats the way they wanted to. So there was a bitter split (early eighties i think). This was when John started Haines Signature at Wacol. Haines Hunter and Haines Signature have no connection in any way other than the fact that John used to own Haines Hunter. There was a bitter dipute over the name for years.

Your boat would be built by Haines Hunter after the split. So you will get no info from Haines Signature about it. Your boat will also have no connection to any signature model either. You will have to contact Haines Hunter maybe they can help.

This is just the info I have researched on the company as I own a Haines Hunter V19C (built in the seventies).

Splash
23-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks Homer. Great post and this would explain it all.

073287 4088 - Joanne in Yatala is the contact - helpful as well.

My hull is based on the earlier V17 Haines model, is 620kgs with 112L underfloor fuel tank and a 22 degree deadrise.

Edna - Photos?

Splash

Greg P
23-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Splash - most of the Haines boats were based on Raymond C Hunt designs. The formula 233 were made by everyone under the sun (Thuderbird, Albermerle etc) as were the V19s.

Have a look at this web site for some history

http://www.huntdesigns.com/corp_history.htm

Also check out Edencrafts web site as I dont think to much has changed in their hulls.

Close to the 565 --- >>>> http://www.#########.com.au/565sports.html

SLR = S - Sports, L = Low Profile, R = Runabout

Cheers

Greg

Splash
23-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks Greg.

Unsure about that 2nd link you gave...

Was it blanked out on purpose or ami missing something?

Splash

Greg P
23-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Nah must be filters or something. Just google eden craft, as one word

Fat Chilli
24-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Splash - Homer_Jay is basiscally correct to my knowledge, as I read up on it before buying my Sig. In the 80's the Haines Brothers had many years of uglyness after their dealings with OMC and after many court cases they were basically told not to build boats. John apparently tried his hand in a few other areas and after 7 years (or so) said screw it and decided to go back into boat building, OMC took him to court again but lost and hence Signature was born.

I'll try to find the source of the info for you. (It was a real battle for them and a good read).

FC.

Splash
24-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks FAT.

I htink every Haines boat built - Hunter or Signature - must have lots of passion/tlc built into them due to the determination from these boat builders.

Interesting...

blaze
24-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks FAT.

I htink every Haines boat built - Hunter or Signature - must have lots of passion/tlc built into them due to the determination from these boat builders.

Interesting...
mate used to build them in werribbee in Vic, think the main ones he did were the breeze, wont go into any detail but I wont own one. I think the older boats were built with more passion and were a better boat as the builders/employee,s were happy in there jobs, not just a number. I am told 3 to 6 months is a long term employee in werribee. You dont get any experence in that amount of time
cheers
blaze

Splash
25-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks Blaze - the build quality is obvious OLD vs NEW.

I am glad I did not pay top dollar for a brand new Haines. I believe I have more bang for my buck.

I will pump more photos out in furture - as my next goal is to raise the windscreen by mounting it on a spacer.

Tight Lines!
Splash