PDA

View Full Version : polycraft beach launching

Rookie
20-03-2007, 08:19 PM
i know they have been done to death BUT :-/ i'm just about sold on one but not at the weight looking at a 4.55 cc ;50 suzkie 4stroke just wanted to know has anyone done much beach luanching with theirs i did alot in a 4.2 dory with no hassle

Chris-Coffs
23-03-2007, 02:32 PM
We are Polycraft dealers in Coffs Harbour but as I believe we are not quoting to supply your boat you should believe what I am saying and not think it is just another dealer bulls****ing to you.

I have personally beach launched the a few different 455 models on my own from at least three different locations and found them very easy. On retrieve at Arrawarra beach the boat will float up enough on the white wash that when the trailer is backed up to the front of the boat the wheels of my cruiser rarey even get wet. A large number of our customers also beach launch their boats without concern.

One of our customers is a pro fisherman out of Nambucca Heads who beach launches his boat three or four times a week on his own. He does not like getting his Patrol trayback onto the sand when retrieving. He has a 4x4 winch under the tray at the back, runs the cable out the full width of the beach and simply scull drags the boat over the hard and soft sand onto the trailer. He has been doing that for over two years now and the boat still looks brand new.

I hope that helps with your decision, I rarely comment on chat rooms as most people on them appear to hate dealers with a pashion and would not believe anything we have to say (sometimes rightly so if the stories they give are true).

Roughasguts
23-03-2007, 06:46 PM
You know if I was going to beach launch in a slight wash 99% of the time, I would rig me trailer the other way around, bow at the rear of the trailer.
Throw it straight off facing the right direction.

You would need a slighty longer trailer but that would be an advantage.

grey_inflatable
23-03-2007, 07:04 PM
get a inflatable boat easy as and nice and stable

Roughasguts
23-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Hmm unfortunately grey inflatable, there
wet as,
heavy as,
exspensive as,
and scary as, near rocks, Knifes, hooks, anchors, Or even your cat sharpening it's claws.

Rookie
23-03-2007, 08:43 PM
thanks Chris thats a big help I usetoo scull drag my tinnie but was worried about doing it with a poly* And no my poly is coming from harvey bay SORRY but thanks for the input anyway cheers

Rookie
23-03-2007, 09:22 PM
yer good piont roughas

Getout
24-03-2007, 07:31 AM
You know if I was going to beach launch in a slight wash 99% of the time, I would rig me trailer the other way around, bow at the rear of the trailer.
Throw it straight off facing the right direction.

You would need a slighty longer trailer but that would be an advantage.
What happens to the motor when the transom runs off the end of the trailer?

Wayne_Red
25-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Rookie
I have not had dealing with poly boats but I beach launch a 445 haines with a 70 on it solo all the time. I think the poly would be about the same weight maybe a little lighter than the haines. It pushes off fine, launch it deep enough or wait for a waveto help push off. I skull drag it up the beach or winch it staight out of the wash, depends on the day as you would know from your your dory.
I use a home made electric winch (starter motor) and it pulls it straight off the sand no problem.
Regards Wayne

Roughasguts
25-03-2007, 07:54 PM
What happens to the motor when the transom runs off the end of the trailer?

Mate I have no Idea, never got to see it launched. But I did see trailers and boats set up that way near Pt Stephens, Boat harbour I think it was.

GBC
26-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I beach launched mine a few times with no real hassles.

I would get a bow 'chock' rather than a bow roller if you plan on doing any towing over corrugations etc., as our poly welded itself to the bow roller on the way to the beach once.

Took a while to work out what was going on during the usual frenetic activity that goes with a surf launch, but managed to drive back up the beach O.K.

I believe the incorrect type of plastic roller was used in the initial trailer construction, however, and I've never heard of another doing the same thing.

Assuming that you had transducers/pickups etc mounted on slides I wouldn't have an issue skull dragging one through the sand.

The trailer setup is just about perfect for rough water work - once the bow is engaged in the rear 'v' section the boat can't drop off onto rollers etc like other trailers.

Hope this is of some assistance.

C.J.