PDA

View Full Version : Selecting hydrofoil for motor

cobiaman
20-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Ive got a Yamaha 4 stroke 50hp motor, 02 model,
There are two hydrofoil i have been lookin at but dont know which one to get.
For i get the one which is for up to 50hp. which is $25
Or do i get the one which is suited for 50hp and above - $45
Thanks

kjmsmith
20-03-2007, 07:31 PM
i would get the heavy duty one as you dont want them to flex under pressure when you take off price is no indication look at all close for thrength ribs etc cheers keith

Kerry
20-03-2007, 07:35 PM
So why do you want one in the first place? You really really sure you want to do that?

cobiaman
20-03-2007, 07:44 PM
wont it help get the boat up on the plane a lot easier?

Kerry
20-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Will it? No sure? But are there other issues to solve first, thinkg about, other changes that can be made before wacking holes through a perfectly good outboard to attach something that still might not do the job either?

cobiaman
20-03-2007, 08:08 PM
what can you suggest kerry?

snelly1971
20-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I agree with Kerry....i fitted one to a 75 Yamaha Enduro...did give me more lift but made the boat want to wander alot in a following sea..and also made the steering slightly heavier....but the choice is yours...its one of those things that you either love em or hate em...

Kerry
20-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Not a real lot of info provided here to go on apart from you intend fitting a foil to supposedly get up on the plane easier. Why doesn't it want to plane easily.

So is there any reasons why it doesn't want to easily plane in the first place?

Foils always appear to be a bandaid fix for some other over looked issue, poor design, over weight, under powered, badly loaded scenario.

FNQCairns
20-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Try raising the engine and proping it down first, if setting it up well doesn't work for some other reason, consider tinny tabs they lever where it should, on the hull. Drilling holes degrade and devalue an engine apart from the fact there is always a better way than adding foil IMO.

cheers fnq

cobiaman
20-03-2007, 08:23 PM
it planes ok, it just takes a while to get out of the hole, i thought a hydrofoil will make it get out of the hole and up on the plane better...

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm with Kerry.
What sort of boat is the motor pushing.
The more weight the longer it will take to get up ( this is a given)and a foil may fix it BUT it could also cause other problems.

FNQCairns
20-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Could you be over proped? yes a foil will help you up onto the plane but it's a bandade for a symptom not a fix for the cause.

cheers fnq

northernblue
21-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I fitted a Permatrim to my 5m plate boat 90hp Honda.
Without the foil the boat porposed at anything other than full down trim, boat now rides and trims great.
There is however something to be said for the manufacturers not making the motor with a larger cav plate to start with, I dunno.
Mine helps.

STUIE63
21-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Cobiaman
I agree check out everything else first . If you still think you need a foil then the only one to get is a permatrim. Do not buy other brands.
Stuie

dicko1980
21-03-2007, 10:08 AM
When I was deciding on selecting a motor for my 5m Hooker, the only Four Strokes that would fit were between 15-25HP less than the max HP rating for this hull. I spoke to Hooker themselves about fitting a Foil to these lesser HP motors to help alleviate performance and get the boat up on the plane quickly and was told not to fit one to any motor on their boats. Their explanation was that they were for poorly designed hulls and incorrectly fitted motors and as FNQ explained only a bandaid fix, and would be detrimental in a following sea as the waves would be pushing down on the foil bogging the motor down.

Cheers
dicko1980