PDA

View Full Version : Gluing marine carpet to alloy?

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Trying to finish my casting deck.
Do any alarm bells ring about gluing the carpet down on the seat?
Or should I have that part removable for easy cleaning. (held down by velcro)

My major concern is salt deposits under the carpet i can never get to.

Your opinions/ thoughts would be appreciated.

Neil

sid_fishes
20-03-2007, 07:05 PM
with todays water restrictions just glue it down and go to car lovers, and dont forget to take a bucket to flush your motor. level 5 suks. the poeple in charge should have had enuff forsight to build more damns. my 2 cents worth ian

Kerry
20-03-2007, 07:19 PM
No I wouldn't be glueing anything to alloy. You know nothing beats a wet sugar bag but then wet sugar bags might not keep up with the looks of the jones spiffy carpet but then spiffy carpet isn't always the best and certainly not when stuck down to alloy, keep it simple and keep it practical.

kjmsmith
20-03-2007, 07:28 PM
i agree honk dory dont glue to the alloy i put plastic lino on my seats and found it trapped salt and all sorts of gunk under it i riveted it in place bad move cheers keith thanks for the reply to my other query re the side console cheers keith

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 07:34 PM
thanks guys.
So not even stick on velcro in say 2" strips every foot or so to keep the carpet down. (which i have already brought)

Roughasguts
20-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Can you cut some eyelets in the carpet and hook it under the seat with some modified occy straps (hook that fits flush and tight against the bottom lip of the seat)

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Not a bad idea roughas BUT my floor butts right up against the seat (at the rear)and would rather not cut the genuine floor.

What about clips similar to whats used on your raincoats?? using alloy pop rivets

neil

dogsbody
20-03-2007, 09:04 PM
How bout some wet suit boots instead.plenty grip.

Dave.

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Funny thing the reason why i am finally getting around to finishing the deck.
i almost had to take a non fisher mate to hospital for a cracked head when struck for a fish.;D ;D ;D :o :o he looked like he had bearing under him;D ;D made him sit for the rest of the trip.

Mum ended up finding out and said fix it i dont want the kids falling out.(thats fare enough i spose. almost a blank cheque to spend more money ion the boat;D

Neil

Mr__Bean
20-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't know what all the worry is, mine is stuck down to the ally floor and it is fine.

Easy to clean.

- Darren

Crooked
21-03-2007, 07:07 AM
In my little 3.6m tinny I have had carpet stuck to the seats and front deck for about 15 years. I changed it a few years ago, no serious corrosion, just surface as you would expect.

I used some serious contact adhesive to stick it. All I would say is that if you do decide to stick it down then you will have to want carpet there forever. When it starts to wear out you'll have to change it as the glue is near impossible to get off.

cheers, Evan

Noelm
21-03-2007, 07:14 AM
I have done this heaps of time as well, if you are going to glue it down, use contact glue, and put it on the Ally only, make sure you start really straight with the carpet and start at an end/side, put some glue about 2 feet or so, roll/press the carpet down to nearly the end of the glue, apply some more and repeat till finished, easy as.

Kleyny
21-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Ok looks like we are 50 50 on this one.
Noelm have you ever lifted the carpet to see what the alloy underneath looked like after so many years?

thanks again for the input

neil

northernblue
21-03-2007, 08:45 AM
I have carpet stuck down with contact in my plate boat, no dramas.

yamp
21-03-2007, 10:51 AM
how about some non skid paint

fishing_addiction
21-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I dont see the problem. The carpet is glued. Just use water resistant glue, the glue will seel the ali and no water nor salt will get in there. And if you are using marine grade carpet it has a lining on it anyways that is water proof. So I would just get a water proof glue that is ali freindly and spread the glue all over the bottom of the carpet and glue it down.

Well I cant see any problem.

Roughasguts
21-03-2007, 12:08 PM
My carpet is held down with S/S press studs, but a glass boat!
theres always crap underneath, so I soak the carpet in Nappy san once a year.
H/P hose is good for cleaning after the soak.

But anyway obviously my Canopy is held on by S/S studs and alloy rivets, all the Stud bases where replaced after around 5 years due to the rivet disolving, but the alloy window frame is still sound, so just replaced All the bases.