PDA

View Full Version : Genuine versus non Geniune

Mrs Ronnie H
20-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi All
Thought I would ask the question: What do you all think about replacing genuine parts with aftermarket ones. :-/

High cost of genuine parts as I have found out is well "overboard" and to replace with other brands cost less but is it worthwhile.

What started this is I need an Oil assembly kit for mercruiser. Plastic bottle reservoir only as it sprung a leak and gear oil went all over the floor.
Price for Bottle only ranged from $115 to $140.00. :'(. :-X Smile can tell you what i said when i was told the price.
There is another available, non genuine of course but every time i rang somewhere it was only the genuine article that was mentioned.

I know I would only use genuine parts most of the time but All I need is a plastic bottle when you get down to it.:-/ $140.00 for one--- hope it comes with gold trim.;D

Let me know what you all think--- Genuine or NOT???????

Ronnie

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 10:22 AM
depends on what I'm buying.
Oil Filters etc always genuine. But something like a reservior you could get away with non-gen (if it looks like the gen product)

just my thoughts

neil

Noelm
20-03-2007, 12:59 PM
yes, a lot of things can be non genuine and be OK, but somethings are just not worth the trouble, I don't know how many things I have seen that are "universal fit" when in actual fact they do not fit ANYTHING properly, but kind of shabbily fit lots of stuff, for safety and engine bits and pieces, I laways go genuine, why risk a motor or a life for a few bucks on the dodgey no name sh!t??

finga
20-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Depends on the part.
Oil bottle...no way in hell would I pay $140 for a plastic container that holds a bit of oil.
I'd get a stainless one made for that sort of money and that'll be the end of that job for-ever.
But when it comes to gaskets, pistons, carby bits and the such...genuine. :)

FNQCairns
20-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Ronnie there are a couple of outboard wreckers sort of near you, try them IMO it's not the sort of part that needs to be brand new, just in good condition. Also a few wreckers sell genuine AND aftermarket bit's and the markup can be less than the dealers.

I have used Sierra parts + a couple of others, very often the electronic replacement parts are of higher quality than genuine -was esp true for Mercury in the past I have heard.
Some of the aftermarket gaskets do seem to be a bit lacking in quality sometimes.

Not long ago I bought a SS aftermarket tilt tube and will soon be buying an aftermarket trim/tilt motor.

cheers fnq

Mrs Ronnie H
20-03-2007, 09:05 PM
FNQ

Do you know who the wreckers are located near me. Any contact details.
Have tried a couple of places but no second hand ones. Thought of taking it somewhere and perhaps as previously suggested have a stainless one made.

Let me know contact details for wreckers or web addresses.

Thanks
Ronnie

FNQCairns
20-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Ronnie I live in cairns so by "sort of near you" I mean't even as far as the gold coast:) everything is miles away from where I live ATM :( cannot even got a couple of pieces of alum angle welded in without a week or two wait!!.

I went through the wrecker thing not long ago for an engine I am refurishing so I have a .doc I made that I can email includes the ones I was thinking about above and a fair few more australia wide, PM your email. There are some real good ones in syd it seems and they are more competitive than the SEQ ones on price at least they were for me.

cheers fnq

Mrs Ronnie H
20-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks

Seems everyone just wants to sell you genuine to make a buck. if you didn't have to pay customs duties and gst i would seriously consider importing my parts from the USA.
Contacts would be much appreciated. Have tried some around here but no one has what i need at present.

Good luck with motor.
What sort of boat do you have and motor. ?????????

haggis
20-03-2007, 10:13 PM
If you have warranty on your motor you should use genuine parts
or you could void warranty if you have a problem .
if no warranty aftermarket parts will be just as good .
cheers fae haggis ....

FNQCairns
20-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Ronnie got a big sized tinny with a 90/2 yam, no true idea what it goes like yet suspect bumpy and wet .....did I mention it is BIG!

For some reason I have yet to be hit with any extra costs when importing from the US, freight can be a deal killer though for heavy or bulky items, noticed the Oz dollar is almost 80US cents time to buy,buy,buy!

cheers fnq

peterbo3
21-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Ronnie,
If you import parts from the US via US Post & the value is under A$1000, there is no GST or duty. Normally 5 days into Brisbane.

Mrs Ronnie H
21-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi Peter

Know all the lerks and perks as I am in the freight industry. Currently doing my brokers licence.

Thanks for the info mate

Ronnie

dicko1980
22-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Give Scotty a ring from North Queensland Outboard Wreckers here is Townsville. He's always great for finding obscure and obsolete parts as well as being very good to deal with. 1800 812 748 or http://nqoutboards.com (http://nqoutboards.com.au/)

Cheers
dicko1980

Mrs Ronnie H
22-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks Dicko

Will look at web site.
Have this huge list Scott sent me with every wrecker listed on the east coast.
Will be doing some research today..

Thanks again

Ronnie

Kerry
22-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Sometimes the difference is only in the words, depends a little on who it si and what it is!

Mrs Ronnie H
23-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi guys

Think i have come up with a solution to my Oil bottle.

As it is only a reservoir? holding tank for the gear box oil in case it gets low what we are going to do is this: First take off parts from old bottle. Clean them and go to wreckers and buy a windscreen wiper/ coolant bottle where the hose comes out the bottom. Drill hole size of fittings in bottom of plastic and connect fittings. Join in hose to leg of motor and away we go. Forgot to mention to put breather assembly in top.

Picture is attached. Will submit photo of my finished product and bet it won't cost me $140 bucks either.

Cheers
Ronnie

Blackened
23-03-2007, 08:51 PM
G'day

Just a quick one, just make sure that the bottle you end up using will be of the correct quality, ie. cannot get damaged from the oil.

Dave