PDA

View Full Version : Shark scares?.

mako101
19-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I`ve always been a big fan of sharks and can`t wait to try catching some makos down the track, wondering if anyone has had any close calls or scares when shark fishing out in the ocean, such as sharks jumping near the boat or nudging/ banging on the hull of the boat(JAWS) , chewing on the outboard etc?.
I`ve heard lots of stories over the years of sharks appearing under boats and dwarfing them in size, big boats too.:o
Also it is something I want to do this year is to get real close to these Orcas that travel up the coast in recent years anyone seen them out there off the Qld coast?.

Synful
19-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Probably a bit off topic Mako; but if you want to get that authentic shark attack feeling, there's a tour operating out of South Aus. where you can go into a shark cage after they've quite literally berleyed up a few great whites with blood from the butchers and chopped up tuna ....

It was featured on one of those lifestyle shows on a Saturday arvo last year sometime.

Definitely something that I would try just to say that I've done it ;)

supertinny
20-03-2007, 05:12 AM
becarefull what you wish for!

Noelm
20-03-2007, 07:04 AM
have a thousand "moments" with Sharks of all sizes.

Brett1907
20-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Have read reports of Makos jumping into boats when near the boat. And they don't die quickly.

If you don't want to keep it for food then don't let it in the boat. If you do, then cut the head off immediately!!! They have a tendency to start kicking again an hour or so later.

Not nice in a 4.5m tinnie!!!!

Brett

Lazybugger
20-03-2007, 04:03 PM
The best Shark scare story I have read is here:

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/sharks/greatwhitesharkattack.html

Enjoy ;D

mako101
20-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Great story, I love great whites but I can understand that fear, I have been in the water with sharks a few times surfing, mainly grey nurse so no problem but if I was in the water with a shark and it turned out to be a great white, my fear would treble.
Makos are considered great fishing for the very reason they jump so often and so high!, but if one jumped in the boat I could imagine the chaos.
Vic Hislop had some great stories in a book he released years ago but I loaned the book and never got it back, but one story was how he had hooked one or two tiger sharks on a shallow reef in a small boat and tied them off only for the tigers to drag him to the edge of the reef and dive into deep water, if he had not cut the ropes the whole boat would have gone under....miles from nowhere.

I`m surprised no-one has seen the Orcas close up!, this year there was said to be around 40.

Sea-Dog
20-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Have read reports of Makos jumping into boats when near the boat. And they don't die quickly.

If you don't want to keep it for food then don't let it in the boat. If you do, then cut the head off immediately!!! They have a tendency to start kicking again an hour or so later.

Not nice in a 4.5m tinnie!!!!

Brett

Yeah, had an experience with a biggish bronze whaler years ago.
Hooked up to the shark that had been following the trawler around for a couple of hours. Was caught on 10mm rope, 6mm cable, and a hook about 20cm long by 15cm wide, baited with 3 smallish stingrays.

Towed her around behind the trawler for about 30 minutes at about 10 Knots, then winched the shark out of the water, put a solid shotgun slug into her head then up onto the trawler.

Had posed for the photos ::)(you know - arm around shark biting on a pectoral fin )

About half an hour later she decided to wake up. (Must have had a BIG TIME headache)

Started thrashing around whilst suspended on the overhead gantry. This straightened out the finger-thickness hook and allowed her to fall rapidly towards where I was standing.

I didn't know that I could leap backwards so well !

She thrashed about for a while where I had been standing admiring her. She quietened down after about another 10 minutes. I did a post-mortem measure with the tape and she went 12 feet 4 inches. (only one foot longer than the biggest shovellie that we'd had caught on-board.)

The other deckie on board was a qualified butcher. He decided to save the jaws. Cut them out with no problems. He was putting the jaws in the deck box, when we hit a little wave which made him slip. The shark had her revenge as the bronzies teeth sliced into the meaty bits of the first segments of his fingers that were holding the jaws.

A pity really about the shark. These days, I'd rather see them swim off at that size. - But the little ones are tasty :)

el_carpo
21-03-2007, 03:31 AM
:o:o:o After reading the story about the kayaker getting chased by the shark from Lazybugger's link, the only boat I'd get on the ocean with would be this, and if I saw a shark following.......................;D

Noelm
21-03-2007, 08:24 AM
I have had a mako jump into the motor well on my old seafarer viking I had years ago, bit through the fuel line, most of the electrical wires as well, managed to get it out with a gaff and a major effort, THEN we had the drama of not being able to get home because we could not start the moter with all the power cut off (and the fuel line) another REALLY scarey thing happened to my wife, we were cleaning up to go home and we always had a bit of old towel in the boat for wiping hands/boat and other things, my wife leant over the side to give the towel a wash and a medium size Hammerhead zipped by, grabbed the rag and nearly yanked her in the water (as well as close to taking off her hand) funny, she never washed stuff over the side again after that, always have a bucket of water to do that now! Also had a REALLY huge Mako get wrapped up in the anchor line once, not too sure how it did it, but holy sh!t what a commotion to have a few hundred KG Shark doing it's best to free itself about 2 metres from the boat, it ended up unhooking the anchor from the bottom and dragged us along a bit before it came loose.

kingtin
21-03-2007, 09:39 AM
another REALLY scarey thing happened to my wife, we were cleaning up to go home and we always had a bit of old towel in the boat for wiping hands/boat and other things, my wife leant over the side to give the towel a wash and a medium size Hammerhead zipped by, grabbed the rag and nearly yanked her in the water (as well as close to taking off her hand) funny, she never washed stuff over the side again after that, always have a bucket of water to do that now!

That's a good reminder mate, that we shouldn't be too complacent about things on the water, even in places we feel pretty safe.

Had a similar thing happen to me just outside Nudgee. Was clearing the decks and tidying up before steaming into the channel and leaned over the side to wash the bait board. There wouldn't have been 6 ft of water under us but this huge whaler just rose up and knocked the bait board out of my hand. If it had wanted, it could've taken me as well and I sometimes wonder how I'm still in possession of both hands..............The recollection of the size of it's tail as it nonchalantly swam away is pretty scary stuff :o

kev

blaze
21-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Not a shark as such, but was trying to freshen up a fish after tagging one day and just as I released the fish a couta decided he wanted it for dinner, not real keen on swimming fish any more.
cheers
bla

mako101
21-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Must be all those shark movies and books I have read, but you wouldn`t catch me hanging of the side of a boat in the ocean or cleaning anything off the side!.
I would feel safer IN the water!.
Great stories, the mako in the motor well would be rotten end to a good day.

RCG008
21-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Mmmm sharkies....

It always amazes me how quick they really can be. Saw a large Hammerhead earlier in the year, and there is no way you couldve outpaced this thing on land.

They scare the absolute crappers out of me. Saw a large Black fin of a foot high on my second last trip. About 30 metres away. Thats as close as I ever want to get to a real big one. Have fun giving yourselfs nightmares.

ovakil
21-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Mmmm sharkies....

It always amazes me how quick they really can be. Saw a large Hammerhead earlier in the year, and there is no way you couldve outpaced this thing on land.

They scare the absolute crappers out of me. Saw a large Black fin of a foot high on my second last trip. About 30 metres away. Thats as close as I ever want to get to a real big one. Have fun giving yourselfs nightmares.

Similar thing happen with me & buddy as we were jumping in for a dive,didn't see it underwater.Another dive site haven't dived it,you are sure to come across some tigers

shaman
21-03-2007, 08:02 PM
I used to fish out of a canoe and was bumped once by what I guess was a Bully (was in a canal) and the missus got bumped about 2 weeks later in the same canal so we decided to sell the canoe.............BUT as it always happens I was telling the missus on sunday that we should buy a couple of kayaks to go cruising in and for me to fish out of in the Coomera but thanks Lazybugger you just scared the crap out of me and reminded me of just how vulnerable I felt that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll probably still buy the Kayaks, I just won't remind my missus.......... Shaman

Rookie
21-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I was up at waddy last year just after the expo got pizzeld by the sharks at one stage had six tigers under the 4.2 dory all about 16 foot long. I turned to my brother and said think we should go!!!! looked over my shoulder a few times as I drove off verey scary stuff.

Lazybugger
21-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Shaman,

If it makes you feel any better I actually picked up a kayak today. How stupid must I be! ;D

Cheers

sarg
21-03-2007, 10:46 PM
My father in laws friend lives up in the NT and fishes all the time. One trip after landing a fish, without even thinking I think we all at somestage get a little complacent, he put a hand over into the water for a clean and as he lifted it up a croc smashed the side of the boat just missing it. Not a shark but just as bad!

Andrew

Brett1907
22-03-2007, 10:41 AM
The nightwatchman is scare silly of sharks. She did her dive course so she could dive with me on holidays. First outside dive and she is told there are only wobbygongs at this site and they won't go near you.

So there she is, 15m underwater and a 7ft wobbygong lifts off the bottom and steams STRAIGHT FOR HER!! My father was one of the instructors but didn't have her group. He reckons she was just running backwards underwater. He was really impressed she kept her wits and didn't pop to the surface. One of the other instructors gave it a whack on the tail and it turned and took off.

She still gets in the water with me every now and again. I love it when she does because we are GARAUNTEED a shark sighting. She hasn't gone under without seeing one yet!!

Brett

ashh
22-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Remember that old guy that was attacked by a shark in the burliegh canal system bout 2 years ago? my mum was the one that pulled him outa the water......

My mum is in the nerang river canoe club, and they do a bit of paddeling on the burliegh and currumbin canal sytems. It was a saturday morning around 11am I got a call from her and this is what happened.

They started of in the sandy bay near the corner store on Burlegh street, and as they set of she noticed an old guy getting into the shore to go for his daily morning swim and his small dog was with him on the bank.
They were paddling for around an hour or so and decided to head back ( most of them are in there 40s and 50s so they cant go for to long).
Mum was straggling at the back of the group and was just taking it easy as she really just does it for the social side of it, anyways, when she was coming into the bay, she noticed the small dog was running up and down theshoreline barking madly and carrying on, whilst she was looking in that direction she noticed something floating in the water, which looked a bit like a plastic bag from the distance she was away from it.
She paddled over to retrieve it to put it in the rubbish bin.As she got closer she noticed it was a body, face down and not moving.
By this time the rest of the group had reached the shoreline and where getting out of there boats about 100 meters away.
She screamed for help and jumped in and rolled the guy on his back. She said he was a very pale blue colour and started swimming him back to the shore.
As she dragged him up on the bank it wasn't untill she saw the chunk of flesh bitten out of his thigh that she knew it was a shark attack.
The others from the group arrived but there was nothing that could be done for him. So they covered him with his towel that was on the shore, untill the ambo and police arrived.
Ambos said he most likely died from heart attack due to shock of the attack.
Whilst the TV crew was there, two bull sharks around the 2 metre mark actually came along the shore obviously drawn to the area by the blood, but no-one was to know if it were the sharks that did it. They got them on film as they swam along the shore.
Mum was quite upset to say the least and it had only been a year since we lost dad, so it brought alot back.
One of my mates from school was attacked in the mermaid system about 7 or 8 years ago, I wasn't there, but he managed to get away with it just getting a good grip on his calf muscle and not actually removing anything, he got plenty of stiches and a nice scar to boot. His name was Kristopher Fredriksen, some of you may remember that one also.

Needless to say,I never have and will not ever swim in the gold coast canal sytems.

disorderly
22-03-2007, 08:53 PM
When you think that they are surely the ultimate marine predator,why are there so relatively few attacks each year?
And as they are such hunting,killing machines how does anyone actually survive an attack?

I used to do a bit of scuba diving and commonly saw sharks(even patted and stroked the grey nurses at Julien rocks,though admittedly grey nurses are very placid).
Point is ,I think most attacks are either out of curiosity or mistaken identity.
I,d much rather swim in the open ocean then a dirty water canal,though.

However,knowing that they aren't actively seeking me out for a meal doesn't stop me getting a shiver up the spine when I see a big Tiger or Hammerhead smash into a hooked spanish mackeral out at sea!

cheers scott

shaman
23-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Lazybugger, if I see a shadow or feel a tiny bump I'll leave a bow wave that will put a tsunami to shame, at least I wont need an outboard...............heeeelp!

mako101
24-03-2007, 05:39 AM
I remember those attacks and the one you mentioned was not the only fatality there was another at night in burleigh I remember.
I used to live on a canal in Mermaid for years and swam there all the time but the canal system is infested with bull sharks these days.
There were sharks in the canals back in the 80`s too of course and I remember a few times getting out, when I just felt a presence in the water.
Only ever seen a few big ones from the shore.

ffejsmada
24-03-2007, 08:57 AM
This would be scary!:o

ffejsmada
24-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Photo didn't attach to last post

Reel Nauti
24-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Personally I don't think shark attacks have anything to do with mistaken identity. I think if you are in their environment, and they are hungry, then you are food. You are alive, with a body heat, and moving, that makes you fair game in my opinion.

Cheers
Dave