PDA

View Full Version : It Was There This Morning.....

ON-THE-CHEW
19-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Went for a fish friday morning, on arrival to the boat ramp at whytes island realised that my dual axle trailor now only had three wheels instead of four. It was still dark when we left to go to the boat ramp and very little other traffic so I was none the wiser of where and when the wheel decided to go it's seperate ways. All was left was the nut on the axle, no hub, bearings, rim or anything. We decided to go fishing any way and sort it out once we got back.

Once we got the boat and trailor home, checked another wheel and the bearings weren't to flash in them so changed them all over. I have put bearing buddies on all four wheels, has anyone used these before? What do you think of them and how long on average do they usually get out of them before they need refilling or replacing?

Andrew

Angla
19-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I think a good two years or less between checks. Pull the whole lot apart at that time and inspect clean and repack the bearings using your palms to get the grease right into the bearings. Ditch anything that looks remotely poor.
Top the grease up everytime the nipple goes in a little. Oh yeah, keep a dust cover on them.

Mine is a tandem trailer and I hot dip all the time. After 2 years I replaced 1 x bearing as it looked a bit suss.

Chris:)

STUIE63
20-03-2007, 08:09 AM
I repack or replace bearings every year when the trailer rego is due.That is an easy way to remember when to do it. only ever had trouble once with a four month old trailer. So I suggest doing new trailers straight away as the use cheap bearings and seals.
Stuie