PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Advice Please

JoeQ
19-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I own a suzuki DT 115, I went salt water fishing yesterday and didn't notice that it wasn't spitting water until I went to the river this morning to rinse the engine through.

I am getting the odd drip through it, no constant flow, am wondering if I am up for the cost of a water pump, or does anyone have a suggestion about unblocking the pump before I put it in.

Also is it an expensive thing to have fixed?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with some advise.

Thanks 'joeq

Tinn
19-03-2007, 03:38 PM
First thing to do is check that the little hole that spits the water out doesn't have any sand stuck in it. Stick a pin in it and give it a good clean.

Had the same problem with my engine used a pin for a few minutes and unblocked all the sand a nd crap that was stuck in the hole. If that don't work then look and getting the water pump changed but I believe the hole is blocked with sand

Best of luck

mk1
19-03-2007, 03:43 PM
get some wiper snipper cord to unblock the hole

coroboy
19-03-2007, 04:23 PM
The others are right. It is usually the tell tail that is blocked. You may need to pull it apart if poking something in the outlet does not work. Some tell tales have a T section that has a smaller hole where the tell tales Ts off from the main pipe. I have had some insect or bug building a nest in it. They had a homeing instint and kept coming back. I keep a piece of bent over wire in my tell tale when the boat is not in use, which is most of the time, to kkep them out. It is smaller in daimeter than the outlet and the round part at the bend in the wire keeps it in place but will let out water I forget to take it out. If it was the water pump your engine would have over heated and I think the Suzies hav a rev limiting system that kicks in and resduces the rpms when the engine overheats.
Cheers.

Lucky_Phill
19-03-2007, 04:31 PM
That's very good advice coroboy. Same issues with Honda 130. That little T piece can cause problems.

Phill

maxwellson
19-03-2007, 04:35 PM
i had salt block mine once after leaving it in the water for a few days while holidaying at carlo point....pulled it out of water everyday after that episode...

Maxi

JoeQ
19-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I hope you are right (cost wise lol).

Will give it a go tomorrow, will let you know

Cheers

joeq

JoeQ
20-03-2007, 08:21 AM
First thing to do is check that the little hole that spits the water out doesn't have any sand stuck in it. Stick a pin in it and give it a good clean.

Had the same problem with my engine used a pin for a few minutes and unblocked all the sand a nd crap that was stuck in the hole. If that don't work then look and getting the water pump changed but I believe the hole is blocked with sand

Best of luck
thank you 4 your suggestion the pin done the trick
thank you for the hint thers no costnow
joeq

Tinn
20-03-2007, 08:25 AM
No problem JoeQ you learn something new every day my friend good to see it all worked out for you