PDA

View Full Version : How do I replace an impellor?

tin tin
19-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi all,
Evidently I need to replace the impellor in my 1983 Merc 18hp outboard. How do I go about it, and can anyone recommend a website which has a good diagram of an (preferrably the above) outboard motor? I'm about as qualified as a mechanic as Robert Mugabe is as a champion of human rights, so should I just take it in and get it done?
Thanks
Tin tin

marco
19-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi all,
Evidently I need to replace the impellor in my 1983 Merc 18hp outboard. How do I go about it, and can anyone recommend a website which has a good diagram of an (preferrably the above) outboard motor? I'm about as qualified as a mechanic as Robert Mugabe is as a champion of human rights, so should I just take it in and get it done?
Thanks
Tin tin

get it done by someone if your not real good mechanically , hardest part is dealing with corroided bolts . in short you drop the lower leg and remove the water pump housing to gain access to the impellor .

there is a guy on here called grand marlin (pete) he is a mobile service who is good to deal with .

mark

Noelm
19-03-2007, 09:22 AM
yep easy to do with basic hand tools, BUT in an old Merc, you will become real good at drilling out broken bolts (which will be your next topic) best off if the motor has not been pulled to bits recently, heat the bolts up first, trust me on that, they WILL break, then you will break off a drill in a bolt, and that is a whole new experience, but a mechanic will have the same trouble, but he will be charging you by the hour to drill them out (and so he should by the way)