PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the tips!! Pics attached

Reaper
18-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to thank the members who replied with some info on the bay. Went out yesterday and came back with a nice catch of shark, macs and a 15-20 kg Long tail tuna that towed us around for about 30-40 mins:D

Cheers

swano
18-03-2007, 12:37 PM
ya gotta love this place , congrats on the nice haul
cheers swano

QuintrexII
19-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Good on ya Reaper !

It's the same principals wherever you fish.

It's not a bad bay hey !

Can I ask what you were using? was it bait or lure, troll or spinning?

Reaper
20-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Quintrex II

A single hooked (6.0) pillie on 60 lb leader with 20 lb main line

GT_warrior
20-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Well done - love the rig - good insurance ;) Nice fish...

8-)

Sinister_Rouge
20-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Well done. But just to calibrate you, that ain't no 15-20kg longtail. That's you're average garden variety bay longtail, 12kg tops. You'd know about it if a 20 kegger hit you!

SR

QuintrexII
21-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey - how simple is that rig - just goes to show the benefits of keeping things simple.

Love the boat - Nicole & I are looking to upgrade from the tinnie to something in that size - we like the 540 coastrunner (quintrex) and I've seen some similar stacer models and others.

Where abouts up north do you come from?

Reaper
21-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Sinister Rouge,

I'll let you argue the weight with my scales:D !!... but if they get bigger than that I am looking forward to it.

Quintrex II,

I am came from Darwin where I regularly fished the patches 40 kms or so of the coast and the Stacer handled it all in its stride. I got a top end bimini which covers 3/4 of the boat but does'nt get in the way. Fishes 4 people easliy. The only thing that I have found is that the quinnies have the little extras such as underfloor storage etc but you pay for it (about $5000 difference I found for the 5.65 stacer v quinnie). I'll stay on channel when I am out next and if your in the bay come over and see what you recon if it will help u.

Happy fishing

The BeaR
24-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Nice Fish and well done.
We chase these fish all the time and there are a lot bigger fish out in the bay, but I do believe Sinister Rouge is right as this is what a 20kg Longtail from the Bay looks like. Caught on 26th Feb 07 on Soft-plastics.
But like I said well done, as any tuna is a good fish.

Eric&Deb

QuintrexII
25-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Bear,

can You tell me what is the weight (kg) class of the rods that you're using?

and what strengthg line?

Is that braid I see on the spool.

I'm just about to buy a new rod and reel and am still trying to decide what to spool it with.

I am chasing the same thing - tuna and macs and also using it for throwing lures around the reefs.

I already have a reel with 2x spools - one is 6lb braid, the other is either 16 or 20ld,

So I'm trying to decide whether to put on 30lb or 20lb. I've heard it said that the difference in diameter between 20 & 30 is so small that you might as well use 30lb.

Just interested to find out what works for you.

Christian

The BeaR
25-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Christian......

Both Eric and I use our own rodz, called The BeaR S10-H, they are 6-12kg line class rods, lighter in the tip for working soft-plastics with plenty of power in the butt to control the fish. There is a write up in April issue QFM and also in Bush'n'Beach(April issue) if you were interested.
They were specifically dezigned for this style of fishing as well as fishing for reef species.
Because we are always testing the rods performance, we use 30lb spiderwire with 40lb black magic leader. It works very well, and you just never know when you are going to hook the big one.::) ;D

Eric&Deb