aido
17-03-2007, 06:12 PM
hi guys,
got home from fishing and the missus managed to spike herself
on this fish. i thought it was a happy moment, but she insisted on
keeping it. she is in agony right now.
can anyone i.d. it for me ???
cheers, aido.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3020&stc=1&d=1174119020

blaze
17-03-2007, 06:14 PM
hot water, bloody hot water now

Poodroo
17-03-2007, 06:18 PM
As Blaze has already suggested you submerse the affected area in hot water. Test the water with an unaffected area first in case it is too hot. Should be as hot as she can stand it before it becomes unbearable.

Poodroo

longtail
17-03-2007, 06:18 PM
like Blaze said hot water now .

it looks like a happy moment to me , but cant be sure with it's fins down against it's body.

Jason.

kingtin
17-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Difficult to ID with fins laid flat but it looks like a happy moment. As Blaze said, hot water, as hot as she can stand it and it will subside.

kev

aido
17-03-2007, 06:25 PM
hot water it is, thanks guys.

INTIMIDATOR
17-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Err
In this case it is one very unhappy moment.
She will be able to identify this fish from a great distance in the future!
Good luck and correct advise.
Next time it will be DON'T BRING THAT ABOARD.
Cheer's Payney!

Poodroo
17-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Here is a thread link of a similar situation.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=78464

Poodroo

dogsbody
18-03-2007, 09:14 AM
We learn something new every day.

Dave. p.s hope she's feelin better

marty+jojo
18-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Why keep a fish if you don't know what it is?
Marty.

shaman
18-03-2007, 04:13 PM
First time i got hit with one I thought I was gunna croak, fair dinkum!!
Drove home from Red Rock one handed and was sh...ing myself so I drank 2 beers (just in case) and went to sleep. did wake up though (or did I, could be an alternative reality)......hmmmmm.........Billy

blaze
18-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Marty.

Had to be someone, didnt there.
Well in this case maybe to id a toxin may well be a good idea to keep it.
cheers
blaze

kingtin
18-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Marty.

He did say he thought it was a happy moment and if that's the case, they ain't bad chewin'

kev

Poodroo
18-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah I also have heard they don't taste half bad. Golden rule is keep the hand digits clear of the spiney bits. I have this rule for all fish because I know what it feels like to have a bream spike snap off in my thumb. So aido, how about a report on your wife's progress. Did she recover well with the hot water treatment? I hope so.

Regards,

Poodroo

kingtin
20-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah I also have heard they don't taste half bad. Golden rule is keep the hand digits clear of the spiney bits. I have this rule for all fish because I know what it feels like to have a bream spike snap off in my thumb.

Poodroo

And this thread seems an appropriate place to mention a pet hate of mine. Those "fish tongues". Please try and handle unwanted fish via some other manner such as a wet rag/glove. It is practically impossible to gauge how much pressure you are applying with these implements. I'm surprised, in these days of conservation, that they are even allowed to be sold. I suppose the thinking is that they will only be used to handle fish that are being kept. I do carry a pair, but they are used solely as a cheaper alternative to the tongues used for handling crab.

kev

charlie bouy
20-03-2007, 10:33 AM
by the way.... they make good tucker if you wanted to get your revenge

have a HAPPY HAPPY TIME ;)

disorderly
20-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Gee ,who would think they could pack such a punch?
They look like pretty harmless critters.
Anybody know if they live up my way?(near Cairns)

cheers Scott

FISHNICK
20-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Looks Like A Happy Moment To Me...i Actually Catch As Many Of These As I Can Around The Picnic Islands Near Fraser As I Find Them To Be Fantastic Bait To Use For Cod When We Go Out To Beaver Rock. Cod Seem To Love Happy Moments. Don't Know If I Would Be Game Enough To Eat One Them But!!!
Cheers,
Nick

Poodroo
20-03-2007, 05:57 PM
And this thread seems an appropriate place to mention a pet hate of mine. Those "fish tongues". Please try and handle unwanted fish via some other manner such as a wet rag/glove. It is practically impossible to gauge how much pressure you are applying with these implements. I'm surprised, in these days of conservation, that they are even allowed to be sold. I suppose the thinking is that they will only be used to handle fish that are being kept. I do carry a pair, but they are used solely as a cheaper alternative to the tongues used for handling crab.

kev

For the records Kev I don't even own a pair of tongs. I do still use my hands but I handle with care making sure I never endanger my hands by going close to spines. Have learned the hard way in the past. Gloves are a great idea.

Poodroo

aido
20-03-2007, 06:49 PM
So aido, how about a report on your wife's progress. Did she recover well with the hot water treatment? I hope so.

Regards,

Poodroo

hi, she had the hand in the hot water for about an hour, went to bed
with a painkiller and was fine in the morning.
thanks for your thoughts.

about being a good feed, she reacons her friend bought some in chinatown
and they were delicious. thats why she wanted to keep the one she caught.

ssab1
20-03-2007, 07:20 PM
they are sold commercially,think they go under the name "black trevally" but dont quote me on that,beer does help but you have to drink heaps,bloody painful alright one got me at inskip, one day i'll meet the bloke who called them happy moments and let him know he got it wrong.cheers alex

shaman
21-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I've seen Vietnamese eat them and I was told by a guy that owned a Thai Food Business that his cooks all love 'em. I've never been game, though if someone who knew what they doing prepared some I'd have a go.
When I used to live in Coffs (the day I got stung) I was told by an old Luderick fisho that thay were Black Trevally and I never knew them as Happy Moments until I moved to Qld.
P.s we were catching them on weed............Shaman