PDA

View Full Version : Where?

kingtin
17-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Would you like to retire to if given 'average circumstance". ie enough pension/superann to get by without working and enough disposable income for a property at approx (current values) 4to500,000, subject to you selling your current property.

For me, it would have to be near the water with access appropriate to my retirement age/health ie ramp. Access to offshore preferable but not essential although decent creek and estuary fishing a must. Out of town, even better.

What is it that makes your choice attractive to you, and how much would fishing play a part in that choice? If you are happy where you are, then why?

Do fishos all have the same dream? ;D

kev

gone_fishing
17-03-2007, 04:34 PM
some where with a good out look over water or bush about 15mins away from town with plenty of room to move acre or so
so you can relax away from traffic niebhours life in general but still close enough to facilities
some where near port macquire or southern end of lake macquire any coastal town really

blaze
17-03-2007, 04:57 PM
thought about that 25 years ago when I purchased the propety I have now, 500m from the ramp and access to pristine waters, 40km away from the cleanest measured air in the industrlised world, moderate temps and rainful, no water shortages even in drought.
cheers
blaze

choppa
17-03-2007, 05:11 PM
having been a bit spoilt,, and lived near the water, both fresh and salt,, for most of my life,,, i can't beat bribie,,, outside fishing at your doorstep,, with a mirage of creeks and out of the way spots in the passage,,, and of course now with chopr in tow,, its the circle repeating itself,,,

fishing has always been part of the life,, but slowed dramatically when we took crook,,, but now the road ahead is getting brighter we're getting back into more and more,,

haven't ventured down blazes way in a long time,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmm

choppa

gunna
17-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Just about doing it now. I am a tad further ffrom the ramp than I like - 10 minutes to Mooloola - but heaps closer than my last abode which saw me 40 - 50 minutes from the water. I would like a smaller town where I was closer to golf and fishing - something like Tin Can maybe. But there is always a trade-off with things like staying within reach of the missus interests and not too far from the grandkids.

Waiting to see Charleville's response - he is just about doing it also I think ??

roz
17-03-2007, 06:28 PM
No more than 20 minutes from the boat ramp, not negotiable.

Blaze, you must be very gratefull for your circumstances, must get down your way for a look. I havn't got anything to complain about with my places.

It's about quality of life and doing the things you love to do, I would be miserable if I couldn't fish.

manchild
17-03-2007, 06:57 PM
30 minutes to the ramp max,at least a couple acres-cant help it grew up on 76000 acres- definitely out of town but convinient to shops.Finally it has to be in a area that can sustain my business as retirement years are still a long way.Having said all that everything changing so quickly ,went back to cable beach 2 years ago and was shocked by the development going on and all the snobbie places,its seems that no matter were you go it would change together with the people unfortunately.As a migrant i can honestly say the Australia i fell in love 11 years ago is gone, together with the lifestyle unfortunately.Sorry for the rant ,wasnt really helpful as usual::)
cheers
George

PinHead
17-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I won't be moving from where I am now...10 minutes to cut the grass...close to everything but the water...but then again..I have no intention of retiring.

Reel Nauti
17-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi Kev

I think most fishos would want to live right at or close to a ramp. Sue and I, like everyone on here, love our fishing and crabbing. One of the greatest prerequisites she set me as we prepare to move to your neck of the woods was that the house must be within walking distance to the water. Yeah right, easier said then done. But we would both love to be able to see (not glimpse) the water from home, walk along the edge together after work, 5mins to a boat ramp etc etc. I'm not prepared to wait for retirement, maybe I won't make it, so I am going to do my best to have it now!

Cheers and really looking forward to meeting you

Dave

kingtin
17-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi Kev

Cheers and really looking forward to meeting you

Dave

Thanks Dave, yeah, I'm only 5 minutes from deepwater bend ramp and 10 minutes from cabbage tree creek for accessing the bay. Bald Hills, Deagon, Sandgate or Bracken Ridge would have you 5 minutes from water but so too would Deception Bay.

Ideally, I'd like water frontage too, but those kind of opportunities have priced themselves out the last decade. Wish I'd've known what I know now 'cause waterfront was within reach (financially) 12 yrs ago when we came here but not now.

kev

ShaneC
17-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I love it where I am now, very close to the water, can walk or ride the pushy to the pub and have great neighbours. Only problem is that I will be working for the next 50 years to pay for it... but decided a while ago to enjoy it now and pay for it forever rather than wait another 30 years and wish I did it when I was younger.

But my plan to win the lotto will sort it all out :)

Shane

StevenM
18-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Water plays a big part Kev.

4 Me dont think I would care if it was salt or fresh. WOuld like it to be further north than at the moment

major-defect
18-03-2007, 07:11 AM
My place is a couple of minutes walk over to the beach and I can see Dunk island and the water from my lounge room.There are beach front and creek boat ramps a couple of minutes away though I usually just launch on the beach straight out the front.It takes me 5 minutes to get to Dunk on a calm day once the boats in the water and the other 8 islands aren't much further.I'm in the right spot now I've just got to wait for the retirement thing;) .

nigelr
18-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Great thread Kingtin, full of great replies, such a pleasure to read.
Guess we all would like pretty much the same thing, the continuation of sufficient good health to enjoy the pursuits we all love so much at this present point in our lives.
Proximity to fishing and or boating of some description, as our health and strength allows, plus the time and money to do it. Sounds wonderful to me!
Mrs and I are pretty happy where we are, our little MNC NSW coastal village has managed to escape the white shoe brigade to a large extent, up to now anyway.
We are blessed to have an unspoilt beach within 200mtrs and a river within 300 mtrs, boat ramp 1 minutes drive, couldn't ask for more really.
In our later years might move into Coffs to be closer to medical facilities and shops etc, pretty good fishing available from the harbour ramp, decent public transport if we don't want to drive.
Have to very much agree with the sentiments of Shane C and Reel Nauti, plan for the future but live for the day!
Too many unfortunately succumb to illness before or not long after retirement, why wait to enjoy the good times?
Personally I believe all the money in the world is of little consequence when God decides your number is up!
Blaze, out of interest, which coast of Tassie do you live on? Have to admit the Mrs and I envy you your summer weather!
Cheers and continuing good health to all.

Redspeckle
18-03-2007, 07:31 AM
when I coming towards the retiring age
I like to have Deep Water access to the Bay and Offshore Grounds or live on the Island where clam water one side surf the other no bar to cross can go 4WD driving&camping on the Island and don't need to go on a ferry to get their and have most of the facilities e.g. like Bribe Island and 30to45mins drive to the City and i hope that lotto comes thourgh so make it happen sooner than later
Mitch ;)

dogsbody
18-03-2007, 08:42 AM
I would like to be near a creek for a bit of crabbing that opens into a bay or ocean. Like to be on a bit of land but still close to the hustle and bustle of a town.

But in all reality as long as i'm with my girl i don't care where i live.

Dave.

Barraless
18-03-2007, 06:39 PM
In the country with a decent slab of dirt under my feet enough to run some cattle near a inland river with plenty of wild barra and with enough rainfall to fill my massive barra stocked dam within an hours drive of civilisation

MMmmmmm

blaze
18-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Great thread Kingtin, full of great replies, such a pleasure to read.
Blaze, out of interest, which coast of Tassie do you live on? Have to admit the Mrs and I envy you your summer weather!
Cheers and continuing good health to all.

Far North West
cheers
blaze

kingtin
18-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the replies so far but how about take it one step further? What if anything have you done to realise your dream? ie have you actually started looking for this place of your dreams? Somewhere that you've holidayed that you would like to return to for keeps? somewhere that you've read about?

I've never traveled further south than Coffs or North than Bundaberg but have always viewed my travels as a recce for future living. I was really struck by the beauty of Coffs harbour and was nearly washed off the outer rocks getting a closer look (it was blowing 30).

Liked Noosa hinter also and King's Beach (S of Tweed) area and the coast just north of Ballina

The deckie has been to Cairns and Port Douglas and ruled that out.

I suppose I'm simply getting to the time in my life when I'm thinking that there's got to be more than brizvegas. I certainly don't want to live my days out here...........I need to get away from vermin ;D

kev

insideout
18-03-2007, 07:08 PM
i live in hervey bay and had the great blessing at the age of 30 to buy a house across the road from the water at a good price.This was 6 years ago and every morning i still pinch myself, and think how lucky we were to live where we live, for even though the house is in need of major repairs( knocking over), there is no way we could afford to buy it again today.

shaman
18-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Good thread Kingtin & thanks for the welcome back. I recently sold my Paradise point canal home to be debt free & purchased a dry block home 10 minutes from the ramp (coomera river). Was semi-retired, money ran out had to go back to work to pay filthy mortgage. 6 months later, no fishing, no ausfish, no time for mrs & boys. Sold it, no debt,more fishing, ausfish yeehah.
Waterfront living has it's plusses but it wears off when you haven't got time to enjoy it. Besides I would've been retiring divorced!!!
Family is more important than material possesions.....
Our old age home will be a villa on the water with direct access so I can nick out quick, somewhere around Runaway Bay.

blaze
18-03-2007, 07:26 PM
tassie for you kev

choppa
18-03-2007, 08:04 PM
the wife and i kev were born and raised in the same area,,, gippsland victoria,,,, and i still have family members who reside there,,, after travelling to and fro between qld and vic,,, and also around oz as a whole,,, i'll still call bribie home

fond memories though of the 90 mile beach,,, lakes entrance,,, hollands landind,,, bemm river,,, san remo,,, the old farm,,, trout,,, blackfish,,,, ohh enough is enough,, i'm getting homesick,,,,,,,,,,,nahhhhhhhh

choppa

Shane Boese
18-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Kingtin

Mate, this is a pic of where Toni and myself will retire - this place exists and we have a tangable share in it.

Regards Shane

Raesen
18-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Live 15 min from deep water bend, dohles rocks boat ramps similar to Kev. Also have a block (5acres) at Blackbutt (no water views - no water) with shed for a weekender,
Hard call.
Have had great times on the water in boat as well as on the block, especially at dusk around the fire with a beer, rum, red or all the above.
Hard choice.
Cheers
Pete

revs57
19-03-2007, 07:51 AM
I reckon you've almost described Minni Water/Wooli Kev. I'd probably go Minni because it is so quiet and only 15mins to Wooli if you're desperate fro a fix and its rough outside. The beach launch is a breeze - have no problems on the in or out...access to open water easy...no bar.

You can buy into a nice place for $400-500k. I'm sure Brigette would love it too

On some of the most fishy reffy stuff within 3klm off shore to as far as you like, and apart from the easter/christmas seasons, it doesn't get overfished.

40 ins to Grafton for supplies, but the local general store carries just about eveything for an emergency and they are great people.

Wooli has a few more facilities with a pub, bowling club (great chinese) and regular medical clinic in the community hall.... Friday night raffle night at the bowls club and the meat trays are always good value if you win one.

The Wooli Wooli River is pristine...runs through Yuragir National park, all the usual species, bream, Flatties, whiting and mangrove jack plus mud and sand crabs. The launch at Wooli is O.K. great ramp facilities but the current rips if you have a go at the wrong part of the tide.

Plenty of Water...no restrictions down there, there are a string of quite deep spring fed window lakes behind the shoreline..a little like the systems of Straddie and Fraser.

yep, thats we're we are looking for all the above reasons even though we'd prefer Minni we'll probably wind up in Wooli for its affordability.

Cheers

rhys

Mattg68
19-03-2007, 03:07 PM
living on a creek/canal/river or bay would be the go with a ramp out the back & possibly some beach as well at low tide, on acreage, mid north coast (somewhere around Airlie Beach), close to a town with all you need, money won't be an issue. hope to be there sooner rather than later, will have to start looking.

Matt

Synful
19-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Afternoon Kev,

I'm quite happy where I am here in Cairns.
Not sure there is any place in the world as diverse for fish species, do i chase Barra, Jacks, Grunter, Trevally, Queenfish, Salmon or something else today? :)

I agree with the post that spoke about winning lotto - if that was the case, i could quite happily spend the remainder of my days in the estuaries in the 4m boat I'm planning on getting in the next few months.

I've been back to Brisbane once since moving to FNQ and I wanted to go back before I got out of the airport traffic area; the smog and traffic were a joke. I guess we're just plain spoilt here; the odd cyclone every now and then is ok by me for the great part of the world I live in! ;D :) ;D 8-)

Probably the only other place I would like to go live would be Darwin, but the missus doesn't like that idea, so i guess I'm stuck in paradise 8-) 8-) 8-)

Luc
19-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Hopefully in about 10 years time, somewhere in the Rockhampton / Yeppoon area would suit me fine.

As long as it's reasonably close to a boat ramp.

Luc

Luc

PinHead
19-03-2007, 09:08 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:
Cairns..nice but too humid
Townsville - nope
Mackay - yes
Rockhampton - nope
Yeppoon - nope
Gladstone - nope
Bundaberg - maybe
anywhere south of Bundy to brisbane - nope..cept maybe Caloundra way.

South...Coffs area is nice
None of the other capitals do I like.

Oh well..here is where I shall stay for now...after 20 years in the one house..it would take me a lifetime to clean out all the crap,

thedeckie
19-03-2007, 09:29 PM
This is a good thread and really makes you think....I can feel a headache coming on!!!;D

I think Rhys (Revs57) is on the money with Minnie Water/Wooli,bloke I work with owns a cab in Grafton,now lives in Brisbane but leases his cab. He put me onto Wooli,spent two weeks there two xmas' ago,what a beautiful spot and still pretty much undiscovered to a certain degree. (best chinese feed I have ever had at Wooli bowls club)

I live in Rochedale on Brisbane's southside,dont mind it out here,still has a bit of that country feel to it,sure Wooli or Minnie Water would be nice,so close to the ocean but being a born and bred Qld'der I would find it hard when we have so many beautiful places up here as well.

Im at that age where the future is more and more in the back of my mind,life is what you make it isn't it.;D

I would probably be happy anywhere as long as I had my health and didn't have to rely on the government pension and of course could go and have a fish when it suited me.

Probably just take the KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid) and see what happens.

Cheers
Paul

kingtin
20-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. Looks like I'm going to have to take a look at Minnie/Wooli.

I'm not a great lover of the heat but the deckie suffers from Reynards Syndrome so cold climates are probably out (one of the reasons she returned to Oz from the UK). I do yearn for the kind of scenery that Tassie has to offer though.

It's still all a dream though as the deckie is 11 years younger than I and simply loves her work............I'll probably still be here in Brizvegas in 20 yrs time, whilst she's making up her mind whether to retire or not. ::) ;D

kev

revs57
20-03-2007, 07:37 PM
G'day Kev,

The climate in that region of the Northern Rivers coast is the most stable in Aus with the least differentiation between the seasons.

Cheers

Rhys