PDA

View Full Version : Price of Plateys Out of Control!

chuss
16-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Is it just me....???

Or are the price of plate boats getting out of control?

When I started my hunt for a new boat 2.5 years ago, a 5.5m plate boat with BMT package and some basic options was around the high $30K- low $40K mark.

Now.... that i've got the cash (well I thought I had the cash. The price has sky rocketed to over $50K!!!!

I know inflation exists.. But the pricing on motors has stayed the same, if not CHEAPER..

I've been doing a lot of renovations around the place and building quite a bit of stuff out of alloy and stainless plate sheets.. The price hasn't really gone up that much from my experience...

Are the builders cashing in on urging increase of customer desire for plate boats?

Your thoughts and facts...

finding_time
16-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I think you will find that most boat prices have gone through the roof and yes it is out of control

Ian

JohnCW
16-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I recently saw a Seafarer Viking fully kitted up being advertised for low to mid sixty thousands I believe it was. So it's not just plate boats.

With world metal prices rising significantly over the past few years, and with any half skilled welder expecting to make big money in the mines at the moment, I can see that the plate builders could be under some signifcant upward cost pressure.

Regards,
John

lee8sec
16-03-2007, 09:06 PM
After looking at a Tabs 6.5 new and a seafarer 6.2 s/hand i didnt think the plateys where to badly priced in relation to a glass boat.
Looking at the Jan issue of qld fishing monthly there still appears to be some good prices on 5.5's. Leigh

PS. Dont know what you where looking at / pricing but there are still sub 40k ones out there.
http://www.queenslandpowerboats.com.au/index.php?id=nb_formosa

Homer_Jay
16-03-2007, 09:15 PM
The price of aluminium has gone up about 15% in the last 12 months so I guess this flows through to the end price of boats.

Cloud_9
16-03-2007, 09:23 PM
the price of motors has gone up heaps in the last 2.5 years .done know where you got your info.
just this january the johnson(BRP ) price rise came through up $1500 on a 90hp and a bigger jump the bigger the HP you get.
the price of resine's has gone up about 60% in the last 2.5 years so you'd expect the price of most other thing to go up too.
last year the price was riseing 15% a month as the world oil price went up.
Shite flows down hill bud.

timddo
16-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Mate, i got a quote in april last year and within a week the price went up by $1800 on a boat. Now that is rediculas. Has the cash, but couldn't reach another $1800, The formosa 5.5 centrecab is around $35,000.

finga
17-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Lucky you fellas don't want a big sparky type job on.
Sparkies on big jobs now have a clause for copper prices and is indexed to copper prices for that day.
Apparently the new Ikea ended up over $400k more expensive because of this.
Something I heard. Not sure if it's true. But I wouldn't doubt it.
When I was working my quotes for long underground runs of power only lasted a week. So prices going up isn't something new as I stopped work 10 years ago.
Maybe timddo was just unfortunate to get that week everything went up.
As for aluminium go and price a length of 25X25X2.5mm square tube or 25X3mm pipe or a sheet of 3mm sheet and when you see that you'd wonder how they build platey's so cheap.

Stuart
17-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I can tell you from my experience in building my own plate alloy boat. Alloy may seem cheap at around $6 per kilo but look at the labour involved in welding and fabricating these boats. You also have public liability which is through the roof, holiday pay, loading, super, rent on the factory, insurance, maintain all the gear, ongoing running costs, all the out goings, advertising, painting, trailers and so on. I had my own factory for many years and that alone isn’t cheap at all. People that try to work the costs out back wards will always come up way short of the real costs because they dont include all the costs we have just mentioned. Prices are going up, but I can see the price in a plate alloy, I can’t see the value in glass boats.

Stu

Col_s
17-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks Stu :D

It's not just the alloy that's gone up a lot in the last year it's all the other items that are fitted as well. Petrol prices has forced a lot of these up.
Chuss you will find that it is forced on you buy all the suppliers and the booming mining industry.
BTW I don't think you'll find many millionaire plate boat builders out there;)

Cheers Col

peterbo3
17-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi Chuss,
Some real figures. I got a quote from a plate boat builder in Nov 2005 for $59K. Went back a couple of weeks ago & the price difference was about $500. Needless to say I will be putting my deposit down early next week.

chuss
19-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I can definately agree with the mining industry having an impact.
House prices in South Aus have been affected!

This is a question for Col or any other plate builders, but how many man hours does it take to build a plate boat?

There is nothing wrong with paying good money for a quality build and after sales service. But I've seen some real shonky jobs and can't justify the cash... I won't mention any names, but it even seems that the standard pressed boats have jacked their prices through the roof.

Either way, I'm gonna have to spend the money if I want to enjoy my free time out on the water!

saurian
19-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Chuss , price of boats going up - labour or lack of it ............good quality second hand rigs are in trailerboat mag all the time.
I put my boat up for sale and withdrew it because for the money I couldn't replace it with half the boat at todays prices.
It's not just boats, houses land , rural land has gone ballistic....
Ta

chuss
19-03-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a friend who recently bought a boat (2 years ago). He only clocked up 30 hours with the boat in that time and washed it inside/out after each trip. Boat looked like it came straight out the factory and with a decent polish job!

Just after xmas time, he was done, family trips were diminishing with his big boat as the kids were moving on in their lives... Just him and the Mrs...
When I asked him how much he wanted, he told me that he had done research, spoke to dealers, etc... and went back to the plate builder for advice on selling price...

Lets just say, after owning it for 2 years, clocking up the minimal hours he did, fuel, bait, insurance/rego etc... He didn't lose any money on his initial investment!!

My only requirement on a boat is that it's brand new! No 2nd hand motors (even demos), or hulls or trailers. I want to maintain my boat to a particular standard (like I do with my fishing reels/tackle) and keep it for many years to come. But it seems i'm paying the price 2nd hand as well.

Thanks for everyones PMs as well! appreciated.

fishing111
18-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I think the pricing of boats is getting rediculous,take for eg the following :Stabicraft 589SC / Honda 4 stroke 135hp outboard

Navman 6600 sounder, Maxwell winch, burley bucket, hard top, windscreen, filleting board Hull DetailsMake /ModelStabicraft 589SCEngine DetailsEngine MakeHonda 4 stroke 135hp outboard with gaugesTrailer DetailsMakeDunbier trailer
Brakes, Jockey wheel, FeaturesAccessories
Bait tank, Bow rails, Dual battery system, Rocket launchers, Underfloor fuel tank, Windscreen wiper, Anchor Winch,
Electronics
VHF Radio, Sounder, CD player,
Safety
Navigation lights, Compass,
Interior
Floor, Bunk cushions, Side pockets, Upholstered Swivel Seats,
$81,000

I know Stabicraft's are well made and beautiful boat's, but c'mon, $81 thousand for a boat under 6 metres is beyond a joke. It dosn't even list hydrallic steering in that price.
AUD$81,000

wessel
18-06-2007, 01:38 PM
For the same price I can get a fibre glass centre console with twin Suz 140 4 strokes, on a trailer, outriggers, overhead rod holders, front and rear bimini off a bermuda t-top (polished aluminium) on a twin axle trailer with full boat covers.

I thought it would be cheaper to hold one and save the money till we get back to Aus one day..... Not so sure about that any more...

Somebody has the cat in a sexually comprised position after dark....

Wessel

PinHead
18-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Lucky you fellas don't want a big sparky type job on.
Sparkies on big jobs now have a clause for copper prices and is indexed to copper prices for that day.
Apparently the new Ikea ended up over $400k more expensive because of this.
Something I heard. Not sure if it's true. But I wouldn't doubt it.
When I was working my quotes for long underground runs of power only lasted a week. So prices going up isn't something new as I stopped work 10 years ago.
Maybe timddo was just unfortunate to get that week everything went up.
As for aluminium go and price a length of 25X25X2.5mm square tube or 25X3mm pipe or a sheet of 3mm sheet and when you see that you'd wonder how they build platey's so cheap.

copper goes up all the time..I had another 9% increase last week...that makes total increases of about 38% in the past 18 months...other minerals have done likewise.

PinHead
18-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I can tell you from my experience in building my own plate alloy boat. Alloy may seem cheap at around $6 per kilo but look at the labour involved in welding and fabricating these boats. You also have public liability which is through the roof, holiday pay, loading, super, rent on the factory, insurance, maintain all the gear, ongoing running costs, all the out goings, advertising, painting, trailers and so on. I had my own factory for many years and that alone isn’t cheap at all. People that try to work the costs out back wards will always come up way short of the real costs because they dont include all the costs we have just mentioned. Prices are going up, but I can see the price in a plate alloy, I can’t see the value in glass boats.

Stu

you got it right there Stu..try employing people and see how much it actually costs.

resin prices have increased quite a lot also as it is a product of the oil industry.

snelly1971
18-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Well I was going to put my Plate boat on the market in the next 6-12 months and upgrade to something bigger.....makes me wonder what she will be worth..???

Cheers Mick

Marlin_Mike
18-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Labour is the killer in Australia. I have the same probl;em inscaffolding. LAbour prices are BS.

Workers want more and more for working less and less. Thats why we cant compete with china taiwan etc etc in pricing - our labour costs and demands are outrageous.

Mike

Wahoo
18-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Labour is the killer in Australia. I have the same probl;em inscaffolding. LAbour prices are BS.

Workers want more and more for working less and less. Thats why we cant compete with china taiwan etc etc in pricing - our labour costs and demands are outrageous.

Mike

off topic a wee bit

Mike you would of made a killing in Innisfail just after the cyclone
the prices were 5 to 6 fold than what was ment to be, along with everything else, damn joke

Daz

Marlin_Mike
18-06-2007, 05:14 PM
off topic a wee bit

Mike you would of made a killing in Innisfail just after the cyclone
the prices were 5 to 6 fold than what was ment to be, along with everything else, damn joke

Daz

People should be jailed for profiterring like that after the cyclone............. i didnt go up there and wouldnt have done that anyway

Mike

saurian
18-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Mike at the end of the day it's called supply and demand, not profiteering.
I did the right thing over west after a cyclone and no-one said thankyou.
Anyway snelly , what will you replace your boat with ???
Ta

Marlin_Mike
18-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry saurian,. what alot of trades did in Innisfail was outright profiteering and was wrong

Mike

Wahoo
18-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Sorry saurian,. what alot of trades did in Innisfail was outright profiteering and was wrong

Mike

thats right, labours wage @ $45ph

profiterring

snelly1971
18-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Was thinking alot the line of something like Pete`s boat ..(Grand Marlin)...big cat with inboard diesels..and a lock up cab...that is one option...I also like the theodore Caostal boat as well...

Cheers Mick

saurian
18-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Mike &Crackers , didn't know it was that bad.
I just did the loyal thing and watched others get a pat on the back for helping the
Insurance companies/govt departments at rates 30 % above normal....

Snelly , enclosed hard top sounds good, theodore looks good but to much of a game boat for me (Is that the one like capricorn ???)
Ta

tunaticer
18-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Being in the manufacturing trade for a very long time now the industry is "cashing in" on the demand a lot more now than say 5 yrs ago. The profit margins are definitely higher and every little extra you want are charged out at full price.
Reality is when you purchase the plate for say a 6m platey the bare plate will cost around 6 to 7k depending on style..............

If only all other areas of manufacturing were that lucrative.

Jack

rat_catcher
18-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Snelly , enclosed hard top sounds good, theodore looks good but to much of a game boat for me (Is that the one like capricorn ???)
Yes the Theodore Coastal is very much like what the Capricorn 770 was. I have never been on board the Theodore, but went all over the first Capricorn 770 out of the moulds. Not the prototype, but the first one after the prototype before they pulled the pin on the idea. I thought it was a good concept, but often wonder why it never went ahead.

Shane Dyer
18-06-2007, 08:56 PM
gday chuss,i have recently purchased a new plate boat , trailer , and outboard motor. i was very happy with my purchase and with the price. The price worked out good for me because i did my homework and didnt buy as a package.

snelly1971
18-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I think the Theodore coastal either won or came second in its class for boat of the year a few years back....I recently seen a 6.4 meter Bar Crusher ...New Price 99k....Now that is alot of money for a little boat like that...I couldnt justify spending nearly 100k on a boat that i couldnt even sleep on....

Cheers Mick

saurian
18-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Snelly makes the theodore look cheap for what you get...
Man 99 for ......
How high can it go ?????
Ta

snelly1971
18-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Well i had a fellow Ausfish member interested in my boat when he seen it a couple of months ago....makes me sort of stop now and rethink how much i should sell it for when i am ready to sell...Maybe i should ask you`s fellow members for your opinions....

cheers Mick

saurian
18-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Snelly , Could get a mixed bag asking for that snelly.
Anyway makes you think a bit more about real replacement costs.
I"m going to have to keep mine for a while....
Ta

snelly1971
18-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes thats the main point isnt it...replacement cost....I know what exactly to the dollar what it would cost me to replace this rig if i had to start fresh...and i know that i am not going to get anywhere near that when i decide to sell...

Cheers Mick

Reef_fisher
20-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Decided to keep mine for the very same reasons here. Couldn't justify the cost to by a bigger rig just so I could lie down and have a snooze.

bastard
20-06-2007, 06:22 PM

MikeHow much does a scaffolder get paid.

Wayne_Red
20-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Plate or pressed boats may become cheaper in the future but they will come with "made in china" sticker on them. Only a matter of time. I spent 2 months working there last year, mind boggling whats happening there. If they decide to make something, no one can compete.
Probably the only thing stopping them from making boats is the demand.

All boat prices are increased in recent years, glass and ally. My brother was looking a 2nd hand seafarer victorys recently. 10 years ago you could buy a new one for @35k today those same 10 yr old boats are selling for 35k, new ones 65k plus.
If the trend stays the same spending big $ on a boat is not a bad investment. Buy it enjoy it get the same money back when you sell it.
Regards wayne

Lovey80
20-06-2007, 10:43 PM
On the profitiering issue, at the end of the day if those skilled tradies weren't getting paid those big bucks theres no way in hell they would be driving so far up north to do that work. Which lets face it had to be done strait away. With the building trade doing so well at the moment why would a roofer, chippie, plumber or sparky go 1000km for a month, or so, if there wasnt anything in it for them. Who's really getting hurt here? The insurance companies? Like they cant cop it. They've been making us copit for ever why not?

Just my thoughts.

Cheers Chris

WOOPI
21-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Chuss,
Buddy, The price of land has gone up at the same margin, its a no win opition, all I can say tak to your local pollie, they are doing it tuff, they just gave themselves a 6% pay rise for putting up with stupid people like you and me, so what are we doing wrong.

Woopi

snappa
21-06-2007, 10:03 PM
exactly why i never sold the "haines"....

when ya on a good thing ..stick to it ....

like today looked around to upgrade my caravan .. 60k plus gee a bloody caravan for what u get
maybe more cost ly than boats ...

i will keep what i got ..thank you...

Far side
22-06-2007, 05:49 AM
Makes you wonder about insurance

Say you pay 60000 for your boat replacement in 5 years 80000

someone back doors you and writes it off at 4 years insurance says its only worth 35000 good luck replacing it

FNQCairns
22-06-2007, 06:19 AM
I almost fell over when less than a year ago I found a 5.8m - 6.1 overall aluminium boat with pod, underfloor fuel tank, transom door sold for the everyday price of little more than 9K, it meant I could own it outright and get it onto the water without going into any debt for what I had always considered a depreciating asset, may not even be a depreciationg asset anymore reading above!

Everything I see has doubled in price in the last 10years (new and secondhand vehicles excluded, also handyman tools), yet the 'official' inflation rate is something like an average of 5% (I understand) over these years. Possibly the GOVT uses the depreciation/lack of inflation from fords, holdens and GMCs to offset the true numbers:)
Pricing in Australia today reminds me on the long held japanese multi-national model. The price is based in each country on what they think is the absolute maximum the people will pay (the same as drug companys do), not the value of the commodity/product + honest profit in days of old, suspect new boats are today priced the same.

This is my last boat due to being an observer of what is going on in the industry,it had better bloodywell hold up for a lot of trips.

cheers fnq

Big G
23-06-2007, 04:00 AM
GUESTIMATED COSTS
AUSTRALIAN MADE.......................................... MADE IN CHINA
alloy...................$4500..................... .................$1200
labour wages.....$6000.(5 weeks).....................$1500
windscreens......$1000............................ ...........$ 150
painting ............$4500................................. ......$ 250
apolstery............$1000........................ ...............$ 180
outboard............$9000......................... ...............$3000
trailer.................$3500..................... ....................$ 800
fittings................$1000..................... ....................$180
overheads..........$2500.......................... ...............$ 100
builder profit 25%.$8250......................................$ 5000
dealer mark up......$5500..................................... .$24,720

i'M AN ENGINE RECONDITIONER SO I WILL HAVE A GESTIMATE OF WHAT POSSIBLY GOES INTO AN AVERAGE 5.5 PLATY CENTRE CONSOLE.
SEEMS EASY TO GET TO $45 TO $50K.
CHINESE IMPORTS WOULD BE ABOUT $10,000 CHEAPER.
IF ONLY WE COULD FIND A DEALER AND A BOAT BUILDER WHO DID NOT WANT TO MAKE A PROFIT.

CHEERS

Far side
23-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I am proud that I bought an australian made product

In melbourne there is a factory with employees that get paid buy food raise children pay taxes and generally keep the system working.

If the bucks went overseas then none of this would happen. China is a fad at the moment but it wont be long before the people getting paid bugger all in the factories start to demand the standard of living that we have. They will demand more money super cars etc and eventually the cost of goods will rise to a level that is comparable with our country. Unless their government surpresses them
As for boat building I would rathe have a welder that is educated in AUS trained properly and knows his job building my boat. In respect to materials I would rather have alloy that is the right temper grade and quality and not comprimised because it is cheaper.

PinHead
23-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I am proud that I bought an australian made product

In melbourne there is a factory with employees that get paid buy food raise children pay taxes and generally keep the system working.

If the bucks went overseas then none of this would happen. China is a fad at the moment but it wont be long before the people getting paid bugger all in the factories start to demand the standard of living that we have. They will demand more money super cars etc and eventually the cost of goods will rise to a level that is comparable with our country. Unless their government surpresses them
As for boat building I would rathe have a welder that is educated in AUS trained properly and knows his job building my boat. In respect to materials I would rather have alloy that is the right temper grade and quality and not comprimised because it is cheaper.

great sentiments but I doubt that wages will get the same as ours..as for the metal, is it inferior quality or the same quality but at a lower price? What is the difference between a welder educated here or one from somehwere else?? I can remember when I was a kid that everything that came out of Japan was labelled as rubbish...I doubt anyone would say that now.

as for fitting out a tinny..I guess it is the same as buying a boat...all comes down to personal preference as to what is required.

timddo
23-06-2007, 12:57 PM
GUESTIMATED COSTS
AUSTRALIAN MADE.......................................... MADE IN CHINA
alloy...................$4500..................... .................$1200
labour wages.....$6000.(5 weeks).....................$1500
windscreens......$1000............................ ...........$ 150
painting ............$4500................................. ......$ 250
apolstery............$1000........................ ...............$ 180
outboard............$9000......................... ...............$3000
trailer.................$3500..................... ....................$ 800
fittings................$1000..................... ....................$180
overheads..........$2500.......................... ...............$ 100
builder profit 25%.$8250......................................$ 5000
dealer mark up......$5500..................................... .$24,720

i'M AN ENGINE RECONDITIONER SO I WILL HAVE A GESTIMATE OF WHAT POSSIBLY GOES INTO AN AVERAGE 5.5 PLATY CENTRE CONSOLE.
SEEMS EASY TO GET TO $45 TO $50K.
CHINESE IMPORTS WOULD BE ABOUT $10,000 CHEAPER.
IF ONLY WE COULD FIND A DEALER AND A BOAT BUILDER WHO DID NOT WANT TO MAKE A PROFIT.

CHEERS

Motor prices $3000, where do you get your figures from.

boat prices really depending oh where you buy your boat from..

I got quotes from$36,000 to $45,000 for a rebuilt engine , new boat..
thats for a plate 5.45 boat.

Price of materials are world prices. so they are the same where ever you are. The major different is Labour Cost.

Besides we mine the metal ores and send them overseas for processing.

Boat prices have gone up along with world prices --- just like the oil companies.
a 17% rise in aluminium. does not mean a 17% rise in the overall price. wages do not go up by 17%, ( now do they)

It's all got to do with profits and more profits.

Big G
24-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Timdodo,
The list of prices out of China are just an estimate based on the prices of goods currently coming out of China. ....tim.doe doe, the next time you purchase an air conditioner or such like that is made in China get on the net and punch in the brand and model and email the factory in China and ask for a wholesale price.
what you paid $1750.00 for in Australia they will offer you for around $350.......thats where I got my prices from. It will be up to 4 or 5 times cheaper.

as far as alluminium sheet prices go....China controlls that as well... funny these alloy sheets are not just dug up out of the ground in Australia they are manafactured in China. Prices of materials are not world prices only the raw material.... read this extract:China swings aluminium market

G. Chandrashekhar

Mumbai , May 30
LATEST data from the International Aluminium Institute and other sources show that aluminium production grew by 3.5 per cent year-on-year in the first four months. It was China driving the growth, accounting for as much as 2,72,000 tonnes of the 3,34,000 tonnes year-on-year increase in global growth.
Chinese aluminium production was up 12.9 per cent to 2.377 million tonnes (mt) in January-April (2.105 mt). Will China's production grow or level out?
Despite the impact of high alumina prices, power shortages, enforced closure of some capacity and changing tax treatment of exports, Chinese aluminium producers have not only maintained production, but have also actually been able to raise output.
However, there are signs that this is starting to get more difficult, according to Mr Adam Rowley, metals analyst with Macquarie Research (Metals and Mining), who pointed out that although Chinese aluminium production was up year-on-year in the first four months, a comparison with the final four months of last year shows production was actually down modestly over that period.
Aluminium production during September-December 2004 was an estimated 10.007 mt that declined to 9.919 mt in the first four months of the current year. Interestingly, the decline of 88,000 tonnes in output is almost entirely accounted for by China where production fell to 2.377 mt from 2.463 mt.
Meanwhile, a drop in alumina - aluminium prices has hit the spot market. LME aluminium prices have retraced from a high of $2,000 a tonne in mid-March to just above $1,700 a tonne. Aluminium smelters have reportedly withdrawn from the spot alumina market, resulting in a pullback in spot prices by about $50 a tonne.
While the underlying demand/supply fundamentals of the market remain tight, the key issue for the spot alumina price in the coming months will be the aluminium price (determining ability to pay) and Chinese aluminium production growth.
China dominates the spot market for alumina (with most other aluminium producers largely locked-in under long-term contracts), and anything that impact on Chinese aluminium production growth, will affect the spot alumina market, the analyst pointed out. Like with many commodities, China remains a critical swing factor in the aluminium market.

Article E-Mail (http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/pgemail.pl?date=2005/05/31/&prd=bl&) :: Comment (blfeedback@thehindu.co.in?subject=) :: Syndication (http://www.blonnet.com/cgi-bin/blstord.pl?storyid=2005053100031100.htm&prd=bl&title=China swings aluminium market...) :: Printer Friendly Page (http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2005053100031100.htm&date=2005/05/31/&prd=bl&)

so if a plate builder pays $9000 for an outboard as his cost it only stands to reason that the cost for "made in China" version would be around $3000 or less.

The mark up in Australia for Chinese manafactured goods is around 300%...so that is how I put together the comparison..... it is not only that the wage component would be cheaper in welding the alloy, all the components used would be dirt cheap.

You are welcome to show us your idea of cost structure of futuristic Alloy boats out of China. looking forward to your version.

Cheers
Big G.

PinHead
24-06-2007, 04:13 PM
seems you forgot freight to Australia...plus..on the air conditioner side of things..maybe they would sell to you at that price for a container full..then you have to add freght and duties etc.

seabug
24-06-2007, 04:51 PM
seems you forgot freight to Australia...plus..on the air conditioner side of things..maybe they would sell to you at that price for a container full..then you have to add freght and duties etc.

Hi Pinhead,
Your comment is very true.

I wanted a low profile 4 stage hydraulic car jack and after extensive internet search found a company in China that made them.

I asked for a quote and gave the model number.
Pleasant surprise when they quoted $11.80 each.

Catch was that was only if I took a 800 lot container shipment.

Ended up it cost approx. $170 for a single order airfrieghted.

Regards
seabug

MyWay
24-06-2007, 05:08 PM
is that mine now whan u seling 2nd hand boat (Plateys)in trading post if not sold in few weeks u can put price up instead droping down

no_luck

Sailing Breeze
24-06-2007, 05:55 PM
I feel the increased price of plate boats has coincided with manufactures unable to secure quality tradesman ( like many businesses)and this shortage has put the cost of labour through the roof. Secondly, it appeared a while back, every boy and his dog who could weld was having a go at manufacturing. I think it has settled down a little now and the quality available accross the board has also increased with the price.
I think you will find most good quality manufactures are a small organization employing only a couple of staff. Look for quality.

Big G
25-06-2007, 10:35 PM
-How much does ocean shipping and air shipping cost from China?
Estimates of China freight shipping costs for air and ocean are shown below. These costs are to be used as estimates only and can vary depending on the season and oil prices.
Air5-40lbs $8.50/lb40-100lbs$6.50/lb. 100-150lbs$5.00/lb. 150-1000lbs$4.50/lb. >1000lbs $2.50/lb.
Ocean20’ container $3800 40’ container $5000*LCL 1 Pallet$750 >1 Pallet$550/pallet

fit a lot of 5-6mt alloy boats in a 40 ft well packed container....double the freight price and it would still be cheap per boat. the dealer would not mind a little coming out of his $24,000 mark up.(per boat)

Big G

saurian
26-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Got to agree with you Big G , won't be long before it happens .
Imagine - " wingtrex", made in china with australian materials for Australians.
Ta

Col_s
26-06-2007, 10:37 AM
My two bobs worth........

There are plate boats and plate boats.::)

Off topic........Having no regulations on the manufacture of boats, besides the ABP, is wrong imo.

The plate we use in our hull is 5083 grade and as far as I have been told comes from Europe and is DNV certified.

The cost of aluminium to us has risen around 30% - 40% over the last year or so.

Skilled labour that is required to build a custom quality platey is hard to get so naturally the wages have increased quite a bit over the last couple of years along with the chandlery items that have increased, which I blame fuel prices for.

I think if you can compare "plate boats" one on one ie. apples against apples you will find that the price of a custom built platey is not out of control, but maybe the more production style ones are.

Cheers Col

fishing111
26-06-2007, 11:37 AM
I think the pricing of boats is getting rediculous,take for eg the following :Stabicraft 589SC / Honda 4 stroke 135hp outboard

Navman 6600 sounder, Maxwell winch, burley bucket, hard top, windscreen, filleting board Hull DetailsMake /ModelStabicraft 589SCEngine DetailsEngine MakeHonda 4 stroke 135hp outboard with gaugesTrailer DetailsMakeDunbier trailer
Brakes, Jockey wheel, FeaturesAccessories
Bait tank, Bow rails, Dual battery system, Rocket launchers, Underfloor fuel tank, Windscreen wiper, Anchor Winch,
Electronics
VHF Radio, Sounder, CD player,
Safety
Navigation lights, Compass,
Interior
Floor, Bunk cushions, Side pockets, Upholstered Swivel Seats,
$81,000

I know Stabicraft's are well made and beautiful boat's, but c'mon, $81 thousand for a boat under 6 metres is beyond a joke. It dosn't even list hydrallic steering in that price.
AUD$81,000

I stand by what i said here, 81K for a boat UNDER 6 METRES is just about getting to the point where its ridiculous. I know material prices have gone up, but my wage sure as hell has'nt kept up. not by a long shot. (yeah i know get another job:D )
I know a lot of plate builders are extremely busy at the moment, but if the prices keep going up i wonder who they'll be selling to in the future.

Mozza
26-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Guys,

My quick 2cents worth.

Prices go up not just if the resource go up. There's also demand - more demand inevitably leads to higher prices. Courtesy of low interest rates people are happy to fork out for extra repayments. Same with the ridiculous housing market at the moment.

I pray every night that interest rates don't up any time until I retire because when they do, Aus is in for interesting times indeed.

Mozza

saurian
26-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeh, col , whats a plate boat nowadays???
Most manufacturers seem to think 3mm plate or above ( not clinkered )
Designates the boat as a 'platey' , sad really that the consumer thinks they are getting a 'platey" when really it's a hulk with a few ribs , and smooth sides.
I never like talking about real plateys versus plate sides & bottom of a questionable grade, as to many people would get upset or not understand.
And custom is custom not trailcraft or similar etc ....
But still think Big G is not far off the mark when it comes to mass produced tinnies.
Ta

snelly1971
26-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Well I will ask for other Ausfish members Opinions.....I am thinking of putting up my rig for sale and buying something bigger in the near future....As this post is about Plate boat prices then i will ask other Ausfish members for there honest opinions on what price i should be asking for the old girl....

6 Meter Tri-Star..Aluminium
5mm Bottom..4mm sides...5mm self draining deck with scuppers.
98 200 v6 Mercury EFI approx 300 Hrs..300 liter fuel tank
Lowrance X15MT Gps and 1 KW sounder. Underfloor Kill Tank.
Raymarine ds500x Sounder.
Rocket Launcher...Tandem Trailer...All Safety gear...
Will be in 2c Survey...ect....

This is just a brief overview....as I will be advertising it on Ausfish in the for sale section when the time comes...

Cheers Mick

Shane Dyer
26-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Mick,wouldnt like to guess and would surely be scared of replacement price.Maybe some bigger boat owners can help you.

snelly1971
26-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks Shane...yes it is scary when looking at purchasing something newer...especially in the bigger classes...I have my eye on a 8 meter Clayton...17 years old and it is 80 k

Cheers Mick

Dunco
27-06-2007, 08:40 AM
I have recently being shopping for a new plate boat and comparing prices from major manafactures and local small builders. Found prices to be very close for what you get.

But when I asked around about a certain brand that is from Darwin. A couple of people informed me that the hulls were made in Darwin, but are now MADE IN CHINA. Sure enough the prices have not changed a bit ???????

Guess somebody is making a bit of money :-X

Far side
27-06-2007, 09:15 AM
great sentiments but I doubt that wages will get the same as ours..as for the metal, is it inferior quality or the same quality but at a lower price? What is the difference between a welder educated here or one from somehwere else?? I can remember when I was a kid that everything that came out of Japan was labelled as rubbish...I doubt anyone would say that now.

as for fitting out a tinny..I guess it is the same as buying a boat...all comes down to personal preference as to what is required.

Mate what I like about you is there is always another side to the story
I have worked with chinese imported tradsmen Electricians were great on mundane repetative tasks such as join 100 wires anything else was a challenge. A good mate of mine is a specialist welder eg repairs jet turbines etc he also at times welds aluminium boats for mates With his experience I sure he would have something to say about the quality of Aus tradesmen. With respect to Japan
yes the early product was crap but a japanese worker earns and lives at a much higher standard of living than in the post war days hence the price of Jap goods is so high Its only human nature to want a better standard of living and this will happen in china.

All I need to know is what I am standing on in 80 meters of water is going to stay afloat and get me home

Stepping off the box and back to fishing