PDA

View Full Version : Eating on the high seas

disorderly
16-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Just about every reef fishing trip I plan,food is the last thing I think of.Consequently,when I stagger out of bed in the middle of the night /early morning to head out I invariably make a couple of quick cheese or vegemite sangas ,grab a tin of beans or spagetti and a bag of chips and a half frozen bottle of coke.
As I often spend 12-15hrs on the water and sometimes overnighters,I often regret my lack of culinary expertise.
So I,m thinking of getting some type of cooker to enhance my future boating meal plans.
I,m after something which can safely reheat a premade meal.
Mmmm,yum...Beef Madras over rice with cucumber and yogurt.

So what do you all eat while out on the boat?

What can I use to reheat a meal safely?

cheers Scott

blaze
16-03-2007, 05:48 PM
have a little single burner gas cooker, so any thing from coffee to bacon and eggs or a fillet of fresh fish. When on extended stays I take things like frozen soup, frozen home made stews, plenty of coffee, fresh water, bread, butter a bit of salt and pepper. You will suprise your self on what you can cook up on a single burner gas stove,
cheers
blaze

Chezzy13
16-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Now thats what I call dedication :) Good Ideas there.

roz
16-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Banana Cake & a thermos of hot tea.. Yumooo

My home made pizza is good cold if there's any left over, I usually take some fried rice as well.

Mmmmm I've just had coral trout for dinner!

r.

2DKnBJ
16-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Stop it Roz you'll make us all hungry.
As Blaze said it is amazing what you can cook on one of the little single burners.
If you don't want to take a frying pan try using a jaffle iron on one.They work a treat.Espessially on a cold winters night.

Cheers Dazza

FNQCairns
16-03-2007, 07:00 PM
All of our family outings occur with one of those little single burners that take a pressure pack can of LP if sometimes just for a coffee break.
Not sure if eating a caught fish while on the reef is still illegal up here?

cheers fnq

Mrs Ronnie H
16-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi
We have a double burner gas stove with grill. Also a single burner that takes the cylinders just for boiling the kettle. We eat all the good things. Bacon and eggs for breaky. last time we were out we sat out on the deck just on sunset having fillet steak and vegies.
You can take simple things like sandwiches. We often make them the night before. A cold chook is always good. Plenty of tea and coffee. Fresh fruit is always good and bickies to have with that cuppa.

Just what we do

Ronnie

Black_Rat
16-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I grab a feed on the way for brekkie usually something from a servo washed down with an Ice Break ;D

I have one of those portable stoves that run off a can, in the black carry case. They work a treat ! but I really don't get that hungry when i'm fishing. Most of my deckies will bring a bag of chips or some Pizza Shapes ! Yum !

If we are heading home from "The Pin" a Yatla Pie is a must ! Steak and Mushroom with peas ! :chef:

blu
16-03-2007, 08:16 PM
we stop at my landlord's shop and get a hot chicken roll 4 brek and grab a salad roll 4 lunch,and if we are doing an O-N trip lots of chocky

Homer_Jay
16-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I got a single burner metho stove.... good to heat things up and safer than carrying LP gas, just takes abit longer.

BAR UP
16-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Food's good but i like to keep up my fluid level. Hmmmm beer!::)

BilgeBoy
16-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Egg plant focaccia with Sun Dried Tomato....Oh sorry that's the in laws 34 Footer :thumbsdown:

My boat, whatever is in the cupboard or whatever the cook brings!! I do like a good Barley sugar, and I am partial to dry 2 minute noodles...just smash them up in the bag before you open!! Last trip I forgot my water and ended up having to drink the bottled ice water that was keepin the bait cool. Squid water...I don't think it is going to take off...but it is wet. Idiot!!

BilgeBoy

Volvo
16-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Carrry a single burner gas stove purchased from Big Dub which takes the pressurised cans of Gas...
Carry a water kettle, you know one of them with the whistle goes off when your water is boiled::) ...
And!!! One good sized plastic container which holds my coffee, tea,sugar, cups, plates, knives n forks, flour, oil, frypan, small pot for making chippies, etc....
Do take some prepped food ie; A solid cooked chook from :Golden Chicken or such along with a Vienna loaf and a jar of large date olives and maybe three four Tomatos, a Cucumber, few spuds, a chunk of fetta Chees or a lump of haloumi Cheese along with a packet of biscuits and some home baked Koulouryia(Bikkies again;) ) Coupla packets of Smiths chips n some fruit just to get me started till i bring some fillets onboard:-[ ..
Hate ta go hungry you know, nuthin worse then an empty stomache::) ...
And if i'm spending more than a day out there????....

disorderly
16-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Looks like some of you guys use fishing as an excuse to eat a bit of junk food.
pizza shapes
chocky
dry 2 minute noodles and squid water,bilgeboy.Mate I just bet you have deckies lining up to sample those delights.

I'll also take some junkfood,particularly if the kids are on board.

Blaze,a very impressive menu there.Plenty of food for thought!ha ha.
Roz,there's nothing like homemade pizza.Unfortunately,seldom are there leftovers in this house.

So for you guys with the gas and metho burners,do you place this on a fire retardant surface.?
What other precautions do you take?.
I am a bit tentative about starting a fire on my little boat.

cheers Scott

Rod Fishing
16-03-2007, 11:56 PM
water and sangas thats all you need
its bull shite that you need anything else

disorderly
17-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Rod,
I used to be satisfied with a few meagre rations also.
Since i gave up smoking last year,though,I seem to have developed an increased appetite.

Volvo,
I,m in awe.It sounds like fishing is just an excuse for you to
have a feast.

Thanks for contributing guys.
I,m reading some great ideas here.

Keep them coming.
cheers Scott

Homer_Jay
17-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Geez Volvo...... You need a deckie????

Thats better than I eat at home!

supertinny
17-03-2007, 08:29 AM
my fav. is chilli trout benders
fresh caught coral trout piece on a single slice of buttered bread, sloched with sweet chilli sauce and folded
still leaves a hand free to fish with :D

kingtin
17-03-2007, 09:40 AM
The deckie always makes me some sangars, and unless she's with me, I'll come home with 'em still intact. If she's with me, she nags me constantly to eat, and seeing as a sangar in one hand and a coke in the other is a sure fire way to have your ratchet scream, then I comply with her wishes.

Alone, I can go all day without food ever crossing my mind..........I get too wrapped up in the fishing/environment. Family trips are different. Single burner gas stove, kettle and pot noodles as snacks for the kids. Fillet steak sangars for later/evening with cold cooked chooks for the kids to rip into when they feel like it. Plenty of diet coke, tea/coffee and some dorritos and hard jubes before settling down for the night.

From experience and having seen a few disasters in both tents and boats. Stay away from individual metho stoves and stick to the single burner with the small gas canisters. Knock one of them over and you can contain the fire, knock over a liquid fuel stove such as a Trangia or the cheap copies they have nowadays, and you're in deep shit.

I've seen it happen too many times by folk who thought it could never happen to them. It didn't just cost 'em a new tent or sleeping bag, it nearly cost 'em their lives. One incident was as simple as someone cooking brekky and some idiot nearby threw a ball for their dog. The dog ran past sending the metho stove flying. The poor bugger cooking brekky lay in the creek in agony for 2 hrs whilst I sent a team off for a helicopter casevac. Seeing how hot nylon clings to flesh ain't pretty, and boats are less stable than tents.

kev

Poodroo
17-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Those little single burner butane cookers are great and simple to take. Quick and yummy snacks like Sui Min noodles make very quick meals.

Poodroo

davez104
17-03-2007, 02:30 PM
I also take a single burner stove that uses cartridges. I fish around the islands out from yeppon so I generaly tuck in behind an island at dinner time. I just put the stove on top of the ice box, works allright and the fire extinguisher is just over my left shoulder, just in case. I take a couple of cans of spaghetti, some bread, butter, salt & pepper. Most times the spaghetti comes home as a fresh fish sanga is hard to beat I reckon.

Roz & Supertinny. the old coral trout is hard to beat, almost took some out for tea tonight, but my mum wants me to save it for when she comes to visit, so I've lowered myself to a feed of hussar instead :)

Dave.

INTIMIDATOR
17-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Pizza hut man!
Don't they deliver? ::)
Payney!

Horse
17-03-2007, 09:17 PM
It all depends on which boat I'm on

On the big girl I normally start with a coffee ( often resorting to instant if the gennie hasn't been kicked over) and toast before heading out for a fish then back for a nice cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs with a few mushies, tomatoes and a bit of toast. Morning tea usually sees the espresso machine in action with some bikkies or freshly cooked muffins
Lunch will normally be a chook and salad or toasted sangas
Dinner can be anything from a full roast with all the trimmings to fish of the day
I normally give the ice-cream a miss but the kids go for it.

In the small boat a bottle of water and a tube of Pringles can last all day

Cheers

Neil

major-defect
18-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah I take some home made mini pizzas and ya gotta take some shapes and smoked oysters;) .Those little cookers in the plastic case are great reallt handy.

BR65
18-03-2007, 09:37 AM
you still eating those smoked oysters major defect????.
I havent touched one since those Moreton camping days

cheers
Brian

Dory4.1
18-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I usually cut a few sangers, this is quick and easy, plus , if your hands are a little on the smelly side from handling bait (I know, I should use SP's), you can eat them whilst holding them through the cling wrap

Cheers
Michael

shaman
18-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Cold tin of spaghetti & a 6 pack.
Been gunna buy one of those cartridge burners, after this thread I will.........
even if it makes me look a bit civilised.

insideout
18-03-2007, 07:36 PM

My home made pizza is good cold if there's any left over, I usually take some fried rice as well.

r.

you risk banana, even in a cake,on a boat?;D ;D

sandbankmagnet
18-03-2007, 07:54 PM
what's wrong with cold food,,like a kilo of prawns? Shells are good burley. Couple of bread rolls and away you go. Bit of your favourite fruit. Not bananas though. Not because of the luck thing...... just what it does to the people I fish with.....

major-defect
19-03-2007, 06:28 PM
you still eating those smoked oysters major defect????.
I havent touched one since those Moreton camping days

cheers
Brian
Still love em BR got to fight Holly and the kids for some though.

PinHead
19-03-2007, 07:03 PM
anything you want to take along.

onerabbit
19-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Totally amazed by the people who have a gas stove on board............

Either you guys fish a bit calmer water than I do , or I need a magnetic kettle.

For me, bbq Shapes are good, or Snackata's,

or what ever the deckies wife makes for us,

Muzz

Dignity
19-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Offshore, make some sangers beforehand, usually at least 6 slices of bread and bring at least half home. Packet of corn chips etc never goes astray, also always keep some dark chocolate aboard, never comes home. Usually have plenty of greasy chicken chips at the servo on the way up.

Inshore- missus always likes to take the one burner gas stove (about $20 these days) and she always has in the deep freeze some meat either beef, pork or chicken already cut into strips and fried. Takes along a jar of dolmios something or other and for rice she buys the packets of microwave rice - costs about $1 per packet, serves 2 comes out nice and soft and the beauty is by the time the meat and the sauce are simmerring the rice is ready also. Quickest meal to make.

The worst part is the heat control on those little gas stoves - they cook too hot.

sam

Feral
19-03-2007, 08:58 PM
You can spend thousands on gimble mounted stainless steel things that would not look out of place on a Jamie Oliver show, but a mate swears by those little single burner units that take the disposable cartridges, I reckon he might be right. I thought about a metho stove, but flamable liquid and a underfloor area you cant get to, but the spilt metho can, made me think twice about that idea!

Of course there is the bushies stove, your fire bucket, (if its steel) half full of sand with a couple of cups of fuel thrown in, toss in a match and the fumes will burn, cooking with a nice slow heat (and probably toxic fumes using unleaded!)

Kiktz
20-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Hey Scott,

One of my mates have like a lil reheater box that plugs into a cigarette lighter
point. We buy frowen pies, chips and just re heat it out on the water. I find these great as I am not a huge fan of gas on boats,( a personal Thing)

Aj

disorderly
20-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Finally, a man after my own heart!

Pies....yum Also sounds like you could reheat pizza.

Kiktz, This reheater box sounds like a safe and practical solution.

what are they and where do you get them?

Might be a good alternative to the gas burner.

Like onerabbit states above,it has to be pretty calm weather to safely use a gas burner(doesnt it?).That's rare up here.

Some of the menu plans above sound first class,dining in style.

However it could get a little crazy when the floater goes off and i,m in the middle of preparing a three course meal.

Guess it would be a choice between burning the main course and possibly losing a good spanish mac.

Scott

Brett1907
20-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I stop in at Dominos, my inlaws own some of the shops on the coast, and get a pizza, garlic bread, sofdrink and now the brownies. Needless to say, whoevers boat I go on are glad to have me.

Brett

Phoenix
20-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Personally I take a couple of Power Bars + a 1 litre bottle and 3 liter hydro bladder with water - as I am on a kayak, I don't exactly have time for a white table cloth meal.

That said - there are a couple of good options you might like to consider;

There are some great books in various camping and book stores about one burner cooking. Anything over 8-10 ingredients I wouldn't bother with
A metal flask filled with soup or casserole is possibly your best option.
You could try some of those meal shakes, not necessarily diet ones, but a liquid meal stores easily.
Some camping meals - or boil in the bag meals are very good ideas. But can be expansive.
Lastly - there is always take away pizza.Hope this helps.

Dirtysanchez
20-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Be careful with those gas stoves, thats all I can say.. I took my son to a park once and this moron had obbviously not put the cylinder in properly because when he lit it the whole thing went up including the park bench !

I grabbed the extinguisher from my car and put it out, but he just looked at me like it was somehow my fault.. never mind geez thanks mate, or can I reimmburse you for the extinguisher..

My 6 year old son now wants to be a bloody fireman !!

For me sangas will do, or as said a cold chook, or prawns... and a thermos of coffee, and a six pack :)

disorderly
20-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Dirtysanchez,

I've been waiting for the inevitable fire story.
Seems a lot of people use gas stoves on their boats.
Haven't heard a single horror story of a boat catching fire yet though,thank god.
Looks like the park bench drama has put you off the stoves though,Dirtysanchez.
Enjoy those soggy sangers,mate.I'm pretty much sick of them.

Brett1907,

I guess there's no arguing over who makes dinner in your house.
Worst case scenario, yummy pizza's home delivered !

Phoenix,
I dont no anything about yak fishing, but I would assume there would be no margin for error.You would have to be totally organised.
BTW what is an average day.How long do you spend on the water?

Cheers Scott

oddbudman
20-03-2007, 08:46 PM
pizza shapes and a pepsi

Phoenix
21-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Scott,
An average day for me is 4 - 6 hours. But I have been out for a lot longer. Yes kayak fishing does take a lot of organization, and you do limit your options in some ways (can't take as much gear with you) - but planning helps.

Results are limitless. I know plenty of kayak fisho's who take home 20-25 kg tuna, or 20 kg Spaniards etc. I personally target Snapper at the moment.

Phoenix
21-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah - I don't target crabs, just don't fancy them large claws running around a kayak.

fishing_addiction
21-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Mars Bars, Mars Bars and more Mars Bars. Anyone who knows me, knows that I would have at least 6 bars in my boat.

I take out heaps of water and 6 Mars Bars. I never plan on sitting around all day eating. I want something that is full of energy, easy to eat, tastes good and is cheap. A good fed b4 i go out and a good feed when I come back.

Been doing that for years. Probably explains my unreal dentist bill.

Till next time

disorderly
22-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah - I don't target crabs, just don't fancy them large claws running around a kayak.

Phoenix,

I would be surprised if this was not Rule No. 1 in the Kayak Fishers Almanac.

Cheers Scott

Phoenix
23-03-2007, 06:10 AM
LOL - that's funny.

PinHead
23-03-2007, 04:09 PM
light the barbie...steak, eggs fried tomato and onion..mmmmmmmmmmmm

disorderly
23-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Pinhead,

Do you really have a barby on the boat?

Sounds more like a holiday than fishin'!

Cheers Scott

Brumby
23-03-2007, 05:43 PM
water and sangas thats all you need
its bull shite that you need anything else

Who said anything about need? Most of us enjoy a good feed and cold chook with some salad and a good roll can taste like a million dollars out there. Oh yeah and some of those little cappucino sachets that Webster just "discovered" - very civilised!

PinHead
23-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Pinhead,

Do you really have a barby on the boat?

Sounds more like a holiday than fishin'!

Cheers Scott

Scott,

single element stove. microwave and gas barbie on the boat.

snasman
23-03-2007, 07:34 PM
::) I grab a Subway sanga without tomato the night b4 and bring that along , not that it happens to often these days but also a loaf of bread and a cooked chook if doing an overnighter always kept the hunger bug away ,And dont forget theres a steak in every beer;D Cheers Snas

nonibbles
24-03-2007, 10:40 AM

r.

NO BANANAS! (I won't even use banana boat sunscreen)

disorderly
24-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I dont understand this banana thing,I'm afraid.

Is it just a Qld superstition.

Or is it just a fear of some phallic symbolism that we grow much bigger bananas up here in the north?

Comments welcome!

Cheers Scott

SCOTTYGC
24-03-2007, 11:00 PM
i use a thermos
fill with hot water
place hot dogs in
take some rolls put the sauce on them before you leave

also the BBQ shapes

water
coke
beers