PDA

View Full Version : How to out fish your Fishing Partner

Tinn
16-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Just wondering what sort of tricks people get up to just to outfish their fishing buddy?

Some of my old tricks where burning their line, putting nicks in their line, adjusting their drag to as loose as possible and whatever else I could do just to out fish them.

Would like to hear some of other peoples tricks. This will be interesting

Jeremy
16-03-2007, 02:12 PM
pretty sad that you would have to resort to that isn't it? Anyone did that to me and they would be swimming home no questions.

I out fish my fishing buddies most of the time by working harder than them or by sheer arse.

Jeremy

84mick
16-03-2007, 02:52 PM
haha this will be a good thread, another one is when your at home, camp etc strip about 15m or so of and cut it. now this is the tricky part, wind the line back on (with out and ends sticking out) and see there facial expressions when the cast out ;)

Mick.

ffejsmada
16-03-2007, 03:08 PM
You must have been pretty desperate Tinn!

Who cares if you get outfished by your buddy anyway?

Egomaniacs!

fish_a_holic
16-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't have to have tricks to outfish my fishing buddy - I do it every time! Well almost every time.

finga
16-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I have my secret bottle of 'Scotty's secret weapon' I put in the bait bucket and on my hands. :)
Doesn't work though :(

shayned
16-03-2007, 04:52 PM
For shame Tinn, you mean to say when T1 thought he was cursed, it was really you all along, just sabotaguing his efforts. Oh man are you in some trouble!

GAD
16-03-2007, 04:55 PM
For us it becomes a competition , but there is no sabotage between mates ,I'm happy to see my mates catch fish even if they do out fish me all the time

hoga
16-03-2007, 05:35 PM
some good ones fishing is for fun as well as being serious some of u guys should lighten up

blaze
16-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I normally give the people I take fishing the chance at the first few fish, some times I just sit back and watch my mates have a good time and dont even fish also been known to had rods over with good fish on the other end. But on the other side of the coin had a deckie dive for his knife in <10 degrees water after I accidently threw it in 3 meters of water, told him if he wanted me to get his knife it was staying there (knife was worth over $150). In it to have fun. I,m easily pleased
cheers
blaze

manchild
16-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I try to outfish them with skill if i can .If one of us onto a good fish we fight together and cheer for each other .Its part of the experience on the water with good friends.
George

Black_Rat
16-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Too keep it tongue in cheek :) I postion the boat to suit my side of the boat ::) I have a sticker on my boat that states "Skippers Corner" ;D

Other than that I haven't been that devious ;D yet !

I'm usually trying to find a feed for them. ::) :-[

webby
16-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Take them to places where the fish only swim past your side of the boat
regards

Mrs Ronnie H
16-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Its all too easy fellas to outfish my partner in crime. I just throw in a line.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronnie

StevenM
16-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I fish alone,

well just me and the voices inside my head

Silent
16-03-2007, 08:56 PM
;D I laught when I see your topic...

Because I have the Golden rule is "Silent"

Be silence and I'm fishing and catch <>< and more <>< <>< <><

;)

el_carpo
16-03-2007, 10:00 PM
My brothers and I don't go fishing enough for me to ever even contemplate playing a prank on them that would cost them a fish.

.......heheheh but that doesn't stop me from playing other pranks whilst fishing.;)

A few of my favorites are:

1. When I see them fishing the bottom, I'll sit down next to them and secretly tug their line near the reel. That causes the rod tip to go nuts and they think they just got a huge hit. When they set the hook into nothing, I say, "Darn! Missed him eh? That's a shame! Looked like a big one too!" After the fifth time or so, they usually catch on and they'll hit me with the nearest rock.

2. My younger brother is terrified of bugs. He's been that way since he was knee high to a grasshopper (which he fears;D). This opens up a whole world of pranks for me to pull on him. The best and easiest is to wait for him to hook a fish. While he's fighting it, I'll pick a blade of grass and tickle the back of his neck with it. He instantly does the "I have a bug on me shiver" where he puts his shoulder to his ear and yells, "Get it off me! Get it off me!" Then, I'll say, "I can't risk it! It's a huge wasp and if I frighten it, he'll sting you! Besides, I have to net your fish!" After the fish is netted, he'll have me check him. I'll say something reassuring like, "I think it's gone--------unless he crawled down your shirt!" After I confess, he'll hit me with the nearest rock.

3. This one was evil and I'm not going to repeat it in this lifetime for fear of being sent prematurely into the next. I got into a snag and pretended to have a big fish on. I called to my brother, "Get the net! I've got a big one hooked!" He comes running over with the net. I said, "The water is awful shallow, I hate to ask this of you but do you think you can wade out a little and net him in the deeper water, I don't think I can get him close enough to shore." He reluctantly agreed and went out soaking his feet. Then I said, "Aw heck, he ran me into a snag! I lost him! Can you unhook me since you're feet are wet anyway?" He did. On his way back to shore, he looked at my face to see if what just happened to him, had indeed happened to him. I tried my best not to laugh but alas, I failed and gave myself away.
I can't remember his exact phrasing but I think it was, "I'LL KILL YOU!!!" That time, I got hit with the three nearest rocks (also the biggest).;D

There have been many others but those stand out. And just to clarify, the pranks go both ways between my brothers and I. They've got me PLENTY of times. Believe me. I still have the scars.;D

I wouldn't ever cost them a fish with a prank. I enjoy watching them catch a fish as much as I enjoy catching one myself to be honest. That's a good thing too because I rarely catch as much as them. Spend to much time thinking of jokes to play on them.;D

Barraless
16-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a mate that I rarely fish with because if he catches the first fish it will be the only fish that either of us catch. Its turned into a bit of joke because he started to wait till I caught a fish before he casts out, which is usually a long time

Black_Rat
16-03-2007, 10:27 PM
LMAO, your an evil man el_carpo, ;D ;D ;D

Raesen
16-03-2007, 11:08 PM
My partner is my wife who I fish with 99% of the time and she usually "out" fishes me. So she's always comming. "Check the spelling guys its all good!!! and with me that is !!!!!"
I will be at Tweed in late march to do a charter off shore (Sat) and taking our camper trailer down ther for a few four days with my fishin mate (Jan).
Can't wait!!!! Except that whilst I am 20 odd K off shore she will probably "out fish me" for the day -- who gives a s#@t !!!!
Doesn't matter - male female. brothers sisters, husband and wife--- --- it's all about being there.
Boats, landbased, creerks (off shore and creeks) who cares. Being there to do it with your mate(s) and don't cheat (however) is what it's about.
Just like a game of any description - if you cheat you only cheat yourself!!!!!
Cheers and have a good one.
Pete

Rod Fishing
17-03-2007, 12:21 AM
who cares, the rule on my boat we share the fish we bring home doesnt matter who catchs them.

disorderly
17-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Tinn

Surely you jest?

Burning or nicking their line!

Its not even funny ,ya clown.

I mainly fish alone,but when someone else is aboard as long as fish are hitting the deck,I'm happy.

cheers Scott

theoldlegend
17-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm afraid I've never outfished anyone!

To me, a day on the water with good company, solving political problems, both state and federal, is what it's all about.

Any fish that I (might) catch is a bonus.

TOL

Luc
17-03-2007, 08:14 AM
NO NO NO>:(

You tell them as they're your gest, you'll try hard to put them on to good fish.;)

That way you're the good guy, hero, great bloke, buddy, pal, mate ........

Sickening isn't it;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Luc

sarg
17-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Next time you post something thats supposed to be funny Tinn, ask some people to remove the pole before they type!!! Its supposed to be fun too. El carpo very funny I bet you do have a few scars. The only thing iv'e ever done is when someones drifted away rip on there line so they think they've had a big hit. Very funny if there just about asleep they wake up with a shock striking the rod curseing that they just missed a big one, until they see me laughing.

Andrew

kingtin
17-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Despite having to constantly tackle up, rebait, or unhook fish from the kids' and deckies tackle, I amaze myself by the fact that despite all the time and effort that I put over to seeing that they're fishing correctly, I still outfish them.

It could have something to do with the fact that I position myself so that I am always nearest to their rods when they go off, or somehow manage to get in their way when they reach for their rod ::) ;D I suppose that in itself can be considered an angling skill ;D

kev

Tinn
17-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I thought this topic would get peoples blood boiling ;D ;D excellent stuff

Its meant to be half joking guys comon not so serious. Anyhow if I use dirty tricks to out fish partners how come T1 always outfishes me. Like today 7 for T1 1 for Tinn :'(

Tinn
17-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey just thought of something maybe T1 is using dirty tactics against me hmmm might have to investigate. Have had major problems with my reel and constant bird nesting >:(

Black_Rat
17-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Tinn,

The majority know it is a light hearted post ;) ;D

Unfortunately the keyboard heros will have a stab at ya !

Bloody ants !

If they took the time to attend a M&G there replys would be different !

SERIOUSLY !!!

It has to be said. If you want to say something then say it !

However dont make a post here if ya haven't got the balls to say it face to face ! :stare:

ShaneC
17-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Simple for me, anything I catch is MINE, anything he catches is OURS..... I always win!!!! Although I did miss a gaff shot on a big Spano at Xmas, hit the lure instead of the fish thus pulling the hooks (first time in a long time mind you), just waiting for the revenge..... what goes around comes around!!!

Kev, wish your theory worked in my boat, when a good fish is on its elbows, fists and knees in all directions to get to the rod first!!!!

Good post Tinn, love it!

Shane

major-defect
18-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Many years ago while fishing the reef my mate hooked my line from the other side of the boat.I thought I had the coral trout from hell.He kept me fighting it for about ten minutes till the rest of the crew couldn't control there laughing any more.They were yelling keep ass to coral Freeby,22 years later and whenever I hook a fish while with him he still yells keep his ass to the coral Freeby and cracks up laughing.

T1
18-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Gee some you guys really need to lighten up! I think most of you (with fork tongues) will have seen enough posts from TINN and myself to know that we take our fishing seriously and thoroughly love what we do, including having a great time doing it!

JEREMY, mate, you really need to take out that link for the Brisbane Sport Fishing Club as at times, you really seem to lay into people without thinking - and then when things come to a head or get tough, you want to meet them face to face to sort it out... I simply wouldn't join the club because of the image you've portrayed at times! Just remember, there's always someone better/tougher out there than you - that's just a fact of life!

If anyone hasn't got anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT!!!

Take Care T

kingtin
18-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Gee some you guys really need to lighten up! I think most of you (with fork tongues) will have seen enough posts from TINN and myself to know that we take our fishing seriously and thoroughly love what we do, including having a great time doing it!

JEREMY, mate, you really need to take out that link for the Brisbane Sport Fishing Club as at times, you really seem to lay into people without thinking - and then when things come to a head or get tough, you want to meet them face to face to sort it out... I simply wouldn't join the club because of the image you've portrayed at times! Just remember, there's always someone better/tougher out there than you - that's just a fact of life!

If anyone hasn't got anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT!!!

Take Care T

Therein lies the problem mate.........not everyone does know you and Tinn. I think I have a pretty good grasp of who is who/what at most times but not everyone reads all the threads as much as I do and may not be able to determine the "man behind the pen"

The typed word can often be misconstrued/misunderstood either by the reader's lack of knowledge of the writer or by the writers inability to say in print what he means. Emoticons go some way to helping but unfortunately in this case, they weren't used and I have to admit, that at first glance, I thought Tinn was sticking his neck out posting as he did.

Some folk, shoot from the hip, and some may see these folk as obnoxious or confrontational, and others may admire their frankness and straight talking. We are all different in how we view others but it is our diversity that makes this site such an interesting place and irrespective of how you view Jeremy's response, others may view it as being a frank and honest appraisal of Tinn's post.

I am not attacking you personally here, but It is a cliche to say, "If anyone hasn't got anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT!!!" Sometimes we see/hear something that we see as an injustice or something that is in some way offensive to us, and it is only right that we speak out against those we see as a "perpetrator".

The fact that we have our wires crossed and have misinterpreted something that isn't offensive, is irrelevant. If we hadn't spoken out then the situation would never have been clarified. ie if those who thought Tinns post offensive had said nothing, then posts such as yours stating that it was only a joke, would not have seen fruition and the aggrieved parties, through remaining quiet, would continue to think that Tinn was a bit of a ######, saying what he did ;D

Words can be honest purveyors of truth and knowledge but they can also betray the reader and the writer, in that the reader may glean something different from them.

The web is a wonderful place as it gives those who have been betrayed by their own words in the past, time to think about how best their words can be used in the future. We all have the ability to just stop, re-read, pause, and think ,before we hit the send button as to just how those words we write can be misconstrued/misnterpreted, even by those who we think know us.

It was all a misunderstanding and nothing more.

kev

PS Even though I follow my own advice ie "We all have the ability to just stop, re-read, pause, and think ,before we hit the send button" and I think this may be misinterpreted, I'm hitting the send button anyway ;D ;D

T1
18-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Gee Kev, you must be bored this arvo huh! Kev, I completely understand what you're saying but all too often on this site, people can't wait to jump on others!

There's ways and there are ways and there is nothing wrong with being a 'straight shooter' whatsoever! I admire that in people and aim to be that way myeslf - but only when they/I do it with integrity and tact!

Take Care T

PS: In saying that TINN is a bit of a ######...:o :P

shaman
18-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey guys have been offline for 6 months and as I read the first thread I am overjoyed to see that nothing has changed . Sensational stuff. Billy

kingtin
18-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Gee Kev, you must be bored this arvo huh! Kev,

I suppose I am. Had just taken a break from the berley mincer, or rather the kids had taken it off me ::) ;D

Just didn't want things to get out of hand, and I hear you T. :-X ;D

Change of talk/tack ...............I'd been putting my returned bait into the freezer to turn into berley bombs at a later date..........those 3 shelves of bait and 1 of berley turned out to be 4 shelves of returned bait ::) ;D

2 hrs later I have 4 piled baking tins of freshly minced pillies, squid, pike, herring and whatever waiting to be turned into bombs..........just gotta do it before the deckie gets home from work and sees her mincer, although the smell is a dead giveaway ;D

kev

kingtin
18-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey guys have been offline for 6 months and as I read the first thread I am overjoyed to see that nothing has changed . Sensational stuff. Billy

Welcome back Billy :D

kev

Poodroo
18-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I once went out with Pinhead and we kept the scores even at all times. We both caught nothing. :P
When with Scalem the golden rule is never outfish the skipper. ;)

Poodroo

insideout
18-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Too keep it tongue in cheek :) I postion the boat to suit my side of the boat ::) I have a sticker on my boat that states "Skippers Corner" ;D

Other than that I haven't been that devious ;D yet !

I'm usually trying to find a feed for them. ::) :-[

love that idea!! going to get a sticker the same this week!! forever trying to get crew out of my corner . Execpt for one deckie, who comes out with me somtimes and defiantly stands there and glares at me if i say something but does not move! Scary ,scary person! And always outfishes me,( even if they dont!)and i never can win a fight with....

yep, i love my wife...

sandbankmagnet
18-03-2007, 08:00 PM
When we go out it's divide the catch in half at the end. So I want fish in the boat.

But I could see this as a pretty funny topic on our annual boys houseboat trip.

blu
19-03-2007, 03:07 AM
I try to outfish them with skill if i can .If one of us onto a good fish we fight together and cheer for each other .Its part of the experience on the water with good friends.
George

There is nothing wrong with a bit of comp with ya mates when on the water
but in my boat everything is 1/2ed (fuel,bait,ice-and the fish) it don't matter if I catch 10 and the decki for the day catches nil and vice-a-vercea we still go 50/50
with the catch, half all the way;D

Jeremy
19-03-2007, 06:53 AM
My original response was:

pretty sad that you would have to resort to that isn't it? Anyone did that to me and they would be swimming home no questions.

I out fish my fishing buddies most of the time by working harder than them or by sheer arse.

Jeremy

JEREMY, mate, you really need to take out that link for the Brisbane Sport Fishing Club as at times, you really seem to lay into people without thinking - and then when things come to a head or get tough, you want to meet them face to face to sort it out

I didn't "lay into" anyone there. The "swimming home" bit was purely hypothetical and was not directed at TINN. I reckon the whole statement is pretty benign really. Do you really have to jump to TINN's defence over that?

I have made a comment about meeting someone face to face once. I don't remember the context at present. You don't know me, nor I you, although I think we met and chatted for a few minutes at the river to mud last year. I am not a violent person and such talk is out of character for me.

Why don't you mind your own business and I'll mind mine. We both know where you are coming from and what side of the fence you are on.

Just remember, there's always someone better/tougher out there than you - that's just a fact of life!

That is the truth!

Jeremy

Tinn
19-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Definately a blood boiler topic. This is gold excellent stuff guys ;D

T1
19-03-2007, 08:08 AM
No problem JEREMY!

We can all get a bit 'out of character' occassionally! Just like me jumping to TINN's defence...:P

Take Care T

PS: Don't recall meeting at the River to Mud last year but perhaps this year...

Tinn
19-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Be Nice T1 8-)

abbot_86
19-03-2007, 04:58 PM
this is a pointless thread , thats going round in circles, i dont care if my mate is catching more fish than me, as long as there is fish being caught .

Tinn
20-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks abbot_86 for your opinion ;D