PDA

View Full Version : upgrade from tinnie to glass

bluefin59
15-03-2007, 06:50 PM
looking for a few opinions on buying a bigger boat for comfort and shade maybe overnighters and occasional runs of shore at the moment i have a 4.5mt bluefin sideconsole thinking of upgrading to 5.5mt cuddy or half cab going to take a look at new at tinnie show r.n.a. But was thininking of spending up to $35000,have seen acouple of cruise craft outsiders in5.5mt around 98-00 models wiyh 115hp for around this sort of money actually 32k with260hrs on it is their anything i need to look out for other than floor rot and transom problems the cruise craft seems like a nice boat any thoughts would be appreciated also i do most of my fishing in the bay.....p.s does anybody know how much something like this would weigh as i would like to be able to tow it with my a.u it has a tickfod 6cyl motor.....8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

tripplenipple
15-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Good choice bluefin. resale on the cruise'es are good and the back up service is on the money.

Roughasguts
16-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Me likes Hooters.
But if she's got a T-shirt on shouldn't the boat be wet.

Tinn
16-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Why not just stick to an aluminium cuddy cabin? Or are you really wanting a fiberglass boat?

SgBFish
16-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Bluefin59.
I looked for ages.
This was the best value for money i could find in glass at around 5.5M. Its a Yalta Triple 5. Tow weight may be an issue.
Have a look at these at the Marine Tune stand at the Tinny and Tackle show or their website.
Be prepared to wait around 4 months for delivery.
PM me if you have any queries.
Cheers,
Scott

bluefin59
16-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I like the look of the yalta i will check it out as well the wait is no problem need to get a few more dollars together i spoke to tweed marine today and they tell me a 5.75 cruise craft is about 1800 kg i can get a 2200kg towbar upgrade as mine is only good for 1600kg at this point in time cant wait for the tinnie and tackle show to climb over some boats and talk business . I was thinking of going glas because they are classie and travell better in chop and swell i think from what i'v seen they aremore stable than a tinnie not that i dont like tinnies i just think over 5mt for abit bad weather they are the go i am willing to listen to all opinions ..... THeytell me they dont make a 5.5mt cruise craft anymore does anyone know when they stopped making them.....;D ;D ;D

Redspeckle
16-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I am a tin can man (plately) I love them always own one no matter what the reason :D ( see my one in photo here 5.8m )
There is less weight to tow in size and less horsepower to push them over the glass boat
My is stable at rest and handles offshore condition's no worries my is old Star Boat and any plate boat comes WA is good but also great bunch of plate boat makers here in QLD Too might be worth the wait to get one build ;)
But on a serouis note out of the glass boat makers go fo one from Cruise Craft or Haines Hunter group can go wrong there::)
Thats my spin on it
Mitch
Go the Cowboys in Tonights game

wheelerdog
16-03-2007, 10:41 PM
i looked for months before i found a 2004 5m CC explorer with 2005 donk. I came up on trading post and i snapped it up. I haven't seen a boat i would buy since.

I was going to buy new but saved about 10 grand for a boat that is as good as new. Be patient and be prepared to move quickly when you find the right one.

Fat Chilli
17-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Fully agree with "wheelerdog" - I missed out on at least three good used buys because I didn't act quick enough. Although in the end I got the best deal of the lot by waiting longer. In mid 06 I picked up my 05 Signature with only 32 hrs and $12k less than new and $8k less than the other two I saw on the market (both had smaller outboards). As painfull as it is, waiting can pay off.

MyEscape
17-03-2007, 03:01 AM
During February I picked up my Cruisecraft Explorer 500 ('06 model with 115 merc 2 stroke) with lowrance 339 combo, radio, on the water for $36k. All new with 2.5 demonstrator hours on it.

The retail price for the outfit was around $45k, or so they said.

But as it had been in the yard a while there was a substantial discount. We were actually looking at a Stacer then looked at the Cruisecraft.

Steve

honda900
17-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Bluefin59,

Mate, i agree with SgBFish, The Yalta is a great boat, with lots of extra's, simple things like a built in esky into the seats. I have had mine for almost a year, It did take 3 months to arrive but it is a great boat, the two things I was looking for were a pod to keep the engine away from the fishing area as well as the space in the back of the boat. The 555hc can fish 4 big blokes comfortably in the back which very few of the late model haines can do and the seafarers while nice are just to dam expensive.

By the way the hull weight of the yalta is 720kg which is pretty comprable to most same size tinny's so my boat is approximately 1.3 tons (including trailer and gear). Can probly arrange a spin if you like. ;D

Regards
Honda

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/honda900_uw/Boat_Full.jpg

bluefin59
17-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Very nice boat honda900 did it come withthe with everything i see at that price i will definately have a look at oneat the t&t show in brissy who is the dealer for them in say brisbane or goldy theycertainly look the goods i may take you up on the offer mate thanks ...;) ;) ;) ;)

bigbrian47
18-03-2007, 09:20 AM
have a look at SAMADAS boats made in woodford
recent ads in bushnbeach they look interesting
apparently the builder has plenty of experience
certainly priced well
cheers brian

Alex9797
18-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Hey Bluefin,

mate you may be a bit underpowered with the 115 on the 5.5 CC. I have a 150 efi on my CC 575 ( which I suspect is the same hull as the 5.5 ). Got to agree with the value for money aspect of the Yalta. Build quality with the CC is right up there though.

cheer

Alex

bluefin59
18-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I have looked everywhere to try and find a link to yalta boats does anyone have a clue who sells them ????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Hamish73
18-03-2007, 03:41 PM
I have looked everywhere to try and find a link to yalta boats does anyone have a clue who sells them ????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
I couldnt find a manufacturers page either, but marinetune sell them:
http://www.marinetune.com/new-boats/new-boats_list.asp?CatID=15&ManID=6

Here is a review on boatpoint:
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/portal/alias__boatpointau/tabID__200530/ArticleID__117849/Default.aspx

Cloud_9
18-03-2007, 09:00 PM
i wouldn't buy cruz craft.
too much masonite in them.
have seen 3 year old 65k version condemed and unseawurthy.
i have owned 1 too but an old one.
your bluefin should be called a sub cos there so wet in the side console.
just about any glass boat will give you a better ride and fishing platform.
cheers cloud 9

bluefin59
19-03-2007, 04:17 AM
:-X :-X :-X :-X Cloud 9 thanks for your knowledgable imput once again you have proven youre 2 bobs worth is just that ...

yalta
19-03-2007, 05:38 AM
mate there made in gympie
i will get number later.

bluefin59
19-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks yalta the number would be appreciated could you tell me who the dealer is in the brisbane area.....8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

navlight
19-03-2007, 04:56 PM
you should vave a much smoother ride in the chop

honda900
19-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Bluefin,

Marine tune at burleigh heads, follow the link below, new boats..

http://www.marinetune.com/

I optioned my up a by 3k, with an upgrade to the 115 to a 130 for (1k), the boat performs really well with the 130 really no need to go bigger, Spare was extra, and I spent some xtra on the electronics, plumbed bait tank, dual batteries and a few other bits and pieces.

I have also added 2 sets of rollers to the trailer as I found that when the wind was up a little and it would turn the boat on the trailer, took a scratch out of one of the chines.. :'(

But was a pretty good package all in all for the money, eveyone who has been in it loves it.

PM me if you want to go for a spin and we will work it out..

Regards
Honda.

bluefin59
20-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda900 thanks for the info that sounds exactly what i am after twin batterys and that more hp was also on my mind i dont quite understand the rollers on the trailer thing any chance of you posting a picture so i can get a better idea thanks mate ...bluefin598-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

honda900
20-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Bluefin59,

as per the following picture, the boat could go on the trailer guided by the rea rollers, however when it is windy the back of the boat can screw around and drop the front off the centre rollers. (hope that makes sense). So I have added two further sets of wobble rollers so that all the cross members now have a set of rollers. I have found this to make a huge difference in getting the boat in and out of the water and has been worth the investment.

Regards
Honda

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/honda900_uw/IMG_0915.jpg

yalta
20-03-2007, 06:48 PM
mate sorry for late reply ph number and address for yalta craft.
1 bonnick road gympie. ph 54836322.mate they will go any where.
any other boat will go..

armoz
20-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Was that Yalta or Yatla boats - I am a tin man myself so good luck with the purchase.
What are your plans for the BlueFinn? looks a nice rig?

scotty

Seahorse
20-03-2007, 07:55 PM
good luck bluefin. i looked at them before i bought my stacer. stacer is ok but wish i stuck to glass for more of comfort ride. the yalta looked good.

cheers
greg

bluefin59
21-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks honda900 i see now no problems great idea and yalta thanks for the number i will give them a call and armoz i will be regretfully be selling her i would love to be able to keep it as well i will see what i get as a trade th en i may post it here to see if i get any bites but it wont be happening for a couple more months as i have to save a few more dollars and of course make up my mind what i want see what happens i guess.....8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)