PDA

View Full Version : kjmsmith new 5.2 dory quintrex

kjmsmith
15-03-2007, 05:25 PM
i was looking to buy a 5.2 quintrex dory i was told there was some dory guys on this site that had set them up very good
willo was one member that was a dory lover as i have not had a ride in one i would welcome any comments
are they good out at sea and crossing bars etc and what motors do you reccomend cheers kjmsmith

Kleyny
16-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I've got a 460 dory. Quite happy with the performance but i haven't taken it out through a bar before but it handles chop quite well. ( not too much banging)
I'm running a 60hp 2 banger on mine. From memory the 520 is also only rated at 60 so thats what I'd be chasing.
I've posted photos on my half finished setup on the site. if you can't find them I'll repost them for you if you like.
I had to put my 45lt tank up the front to try and even the weight out a bit.( so water didn't come through the back on fast decel.)

Neil

kjmsmith
16-03-2007, 07:56 PM
thanks honky dory will look for the photos could you tell me where you mounted the 45 lt tank please and do you also have another at the back cheers keith

Dory4.1
17-03-2007, 02:37 PM
KJM
I've got a 4.1 m Dory with a Evinrude 20 on it. Its all 1994 build. It has been a great combo. I only run it around the bay and rivers and haven't/wouldn't do any bar crossing, although I think the boats capabilities are far greater than mine. None of the welds have come away after many years pushing through bay chop. It is also fairly stable, so you can walk around while fishing without feeling the boat will capsize every time you walk near the sides. I don't know if the new ones are as solid as the oldies, but if they are, I think you wouldn't go far wrong.

Rgs
Michael (AKA Dory4.1)

Kleyny
17-03-2007, 03:56 PM
thanks honky dory will look for the photos could you tell me where you mounted the 45 lt tank please and do you also have another at the back cheers keith

I've ran ply from the triangle piece of chequed plate to the bottom of the seat and put a low profile tank on that. If i'm going out in the bay I'll carry a 20lt tank in the rear. I dont really require that much fuel in the passage.

neil

have you found the photos yet???

kjmsmith
18-03-2007, 12:07 PM
thanks dory4.1 and hunkdory i am more conifident now armed with this info i looked at your photos and they will help for sure have you tried the consol yet i am wondering about the balance dont want it leaning to one side all the time anyway many thanks for you posts kjmsmith (keith)

lippa
20-03-2007, 09:38 AM
have a look at this one!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=592490#post592490

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 10:15 AM
keith,
I'm roughly 80kg and with the tank up the front on the lefthand side it sits well.
Yours being larger again you shouldnt have a drama.
When you think about it when your tiller steer you are roughly in the same spot as i am but only sitting.

neil

Willo
20-03-2007, 06:02 PM
yeh kjmSmith
Heres some pics of my 4.2 dory took these pics awhile ago when first got it.(this is my sedcond dory)
Top boats for there size had this one custom built with a 3mm bottom and rear and foward casting decks and bow rail with a full grab rail all around.Now have a big icey tek fish box along front seat were the tackle boxes use to be This boat gets a work out as it constantly crosses the Tweed bar and have takin some heavy hits with it and came through unscathed.(or nearly :) )
Willo

kjmsmith
20-03-2007, 07:14 PM
thanks so much willo you have set it up well and fitted a lot in a 4.2 dory i am going to get the sides extruded so i can mount a side console and a tank up the front do you have your tank there or is it under your rear casting platform did you have the casting platforms done by quintrex or is it straight forward to do it your self thanks again cheers keith

Kleyny
20-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Great looking fishing boat there Willo.
I think all Dory's come out with 3mm bottoms now(well the 460 does anyway)
Do you find the seats get slippery as part of your decks?

Good to know they can cop the punishment of what a bar can put out. (within reason)

Neil

Willo
20-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi Keith
Had all the work done by Quintrex,andI have a standard rear Tank, but the foward tank is the way to go

Yeh Honky Dory
The 4.2 comes with a 2mm bottom .
The 3mm bottoms start as standard on the 4.45 up to the 5.20 dory
And got around the slippery seats by putting multiple full lenght strips of that anti slip tape the leght of the seat front and rear seats
Willo

kjmsmith
17-04-2007, 07:29 PM
thanks for all the info guys i went to bris tackle and tinnie show and bought a different boat that had all the extras i wanted 2000 cheaoer than the quinnie i bought a brooker 5.2 metre with 3mm bottom and sides for 6720 on a trailor from marine tune at labradoor on the gold coast i just have to get a motor now cheers keith