PDA

View Full Version : Insurance fun

big moose
15-03-2007, 05:23 PM
>:( had the misfortune to capsize the tinnie a few weeks ago. just battling the insyrance company for claim afew things that may help should you share my misfortune. most policies have a cover for personal items in my case $300 try to claim and they ask for proof that you had lures, a fillet knife a scaler some pliers etc. suggest that anyone who has such cover take photos of everything or they will give you the run around. they might win but I won't make it easy for them.
regards b.m

ps to the two gentlemen who stopped to help and fetched the vmr for us a big thank you if you are ausfish members let me know I owe you a beer;D

HIGH and DRY
15-03-2007, 05:54 PM
after i insured my boat, i sat back and wondered whether it would cover loss/ damage to gear/rods/saftey etc. i rung them back up and got it altered so it will cover up to $1500 worth of accecories! only cost me extra $40.

finga
15-03-2007, 06:42 PM
If you reckon claiming for a fillet knife is hard. You should try and be on an income protection claim for 10 years...:'(

Chezzy13
15-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Thats shocking big moose, they are so happy to take ya money, but giving it back, ya got a fight..
I souldnt say this slap my hand ....Take some piccs of a mates gear lol, then stick it to them, insurance companies pip me, they rob people blind..>:(

Poodroo
15-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Just gotta love insurance companies. Here is a beauty. My insurer didn't advise me that I didn't have windscreen cover so I drove around for ages thinking when the crack just gets too big I would simply just pay for a new windscreen. Then one day at work one of my collegues had O'Brien's at work replacing her windscreen and I asked the question "How much is it setting you back?" to which she replies "Nothing, claiming it on insurance!"

Next question was "So who is your insurer?" and she then tells me something that bowls me over. Same insurance company I am with. Turns out that the insurer could have sold me an add on to my existing policy for an extra $4 a month to have windscreen cover and I could be entitled to one windscreen per year. So I organized it and eventually claimed for the windscreen and then almost a week to the day a flaming tipper truck in front of me on the freeway hits one of many bumps in the road and dislodges a shower of stones one finding a headlight and the other cracking my new windscreen. So another year I put up with a crack in front of my face and then finally claim another windscreen which is what I was entitled to do and no worries no fuss it was all organized to happen whilst I was out fishing. Come home and there is the Pajero with a nice new windscreen to look through. It lasted two weeks and another tipper truck heading in the opposite direction dislodged stones and once again cracked my windscreen. I started to wonder about any possible Chinamen that I may have run over at this point. Waited yet another year and had the windscreen replaced which is the one I have on the car at the moment and fingers crossed it has managed to remain chip and crack free for the past six months. But here is the insurance slap in the face. They reviewed my claim history and even though I never made any claims as a result of an accident (Only 3 windscreens in 3 years) they classified me as a "High Risk" customer and send me a letter saying they have reviewed my claims history and have added an extra $100 onto my excess making it $450 now if I make any claims. Now this kind of ruffled my neck hairs a little considering that I pay for the privilege of being able to claim for the windscreens in the first place and now I have been penalized for it. All I can say is sorry you had the misfortune of tipping the tinnie over but I am even more sorry that you have to deal with an insurance company. Good luck!

Regards,

Poodroo

Lucky_Phill
15-03-2007, 08:28 PM
You may find that some of the items you lost in the ' over ', can be claimed back through your household insurance policy. Seriously.

Had that situation just recently, ( to a family member ), mackerel took a rod out of rod holder on boat, boat insurance said ' get lost ' , household paid up !! Go figure. But apparently it is because the items you store at home, and place on the boat are a part of the house ins.

Phill

ps. Scott, I had similar issues with income ins. In the end, they refunded my premiums and refused to payout. was much cheaper for them.

Kleyny
16-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Big moose whos your insurer??