what do you guys think of floatation in 6m plus plateys

My research show that:
Barcrusher is basic with airpockets
Trailcraft is basic
Quintrex Offshore is level
Stabicraft is level
Noble Super Vee basic
Stacer level

I guess you've got to do something very very stupid to get one of these fine craft into a mess but I guess if you sitting 30 kms off on the shelf......

In this size of aluminium boat is level flotation excessive or it is a bloody neccessity? or is basic good enough?

seatime
15-03-2007, 06:58 AM
scungey,

I don't think the 'level' flotation of a Quintrex/Stacer is the same as the 'level' flotation of a Stabicraft.
The Q/S have foam lined cabins which will give them a degree of positive flotation to keep them in an upright position if swamped. There's no foam in the gunnels or sides.
I've had my Stabi thru a swamp test with the motor and electrics fitted, and it maintained a level attitude, not sure I'd try doing it with a Quinny.

If you're after a production boat that won't roll over if swamped, a Q/S might suit.
You could request the same level of flotation or higher if you ordered a boat from a custom builder like Noble, Riptide, Joshua or Fisher.

Is level flotation excessive or necessary for offshore work in a 6m platey? guess it depends on your degree of risk management.
Didn't really help answer your question did I?, it's not an easy one to answer.

regards
Steve