PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramps under water

Raesen
14-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Easiest question for all you Guru's.

How do they pour the concrete slab of a boat ramp out past the low water mark????

Fast setting concrete, bunding to keep the water at bay (that is not a play on words) or what.

Thanks and cheers
Pete

Oh and by the way - Go The BLUES

HIGH and DRY
14-03-2007, 09:02 PM
could be wrong, but i think there was a thread on this recently. i just can't remember where. try a search and see what you find. they pretty much barricade off the area with corrogated type stuff and pump the water out!!!

BilgeBoy
14-03-2007, 09:03 PM
There have been a few posts on this one. The pictures I have seen use a retaining wall system, pump it out, poor and dry.

BilgeBoy

Raesen
15-03-2007, 04:16 AM
Thanks guys I'll do a search. Sounds about right to place sheet piling and pump out area.
Regards
Pete

Noelm
15-03-2007, 07:08 AM
easy, there is concrete that sets under water, people think that it sets when the water dries out WRONG!! it is a chemical reaction that takes place, and can indeed be slowed down (as done by delivery drivers who get caught in traffic) they can pour in a chemical and it will delay setting.

Noelm
15-03-2007, 07:10 AM
OH, and if possible, of course you can "dam" the area and use pumps to do the job "dry" that is also done, but not a possiblity in deeper places where conctrete is needed, the biggest drawback is finnishing, you cannot "float" it off under water (well pretty difficult at least)

Sea-Dog
16-03-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.waterstructures.com/Applications/page3.html

This was from a previous thread where all the photos have disappeared in the migration to the new system.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=78630

roz
16-03-2007, 01:13 PM
In a lot of cases they pre fabricate the slabs.

Tinn
16-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Like Roz said some places they just drop in a slab of concrete that is all ready to go just like they build tilt slab sheds

oztrav
17-03-2007, 12:43 PM
high performance concreting as for the finish well look at boat ramps the rougher the finish the better steel troweling an area like a boat ramp is just ridiculous if i was to do one it would be prefab barracading and pumping is just silly and a waste of time and money