PDA

View Full Version : canopy on a tiller???

HIGH and DRY
14-03-2007, 06:18 PM
hi there!!

i have a quintrex 4.2 and its a tiller steer. as i spend a LOT of time in this boat, as does my sun wary girlfriend, so i have decided to get a canopy/bimni. after looking at the off the shelf items, i have concluded that they are a little restictive in thems of fishability and height.

having a good mate in the stainless industry has its bonuses however. i have asked him to make me a 'fixed' canopy top, that has two posts either side more foreword mounted, but still has the shade covering back a bit, if you know what i mean!!! it will also house 4 rocket launchers and have an arched canopy, of canvas. i have seen a few boats like this, with custom tops, however they were all center consoles.

i do a lot of standing when fishing so it will be high enough to walk under, and throw out enough shade fo half the boat.

will it look a bit silly having a tiller with a ceter console type canopy, and does anyone have any input/photos they care to share?? all coments taken on board! people who i have asked have paid upwards of $2000 for similar setup, but it will cost me nothing, hence the effort for small boat;)

thanks
pete

stevos
14-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Cant agree with you more about the need to get a canopy that is has minimal straps yet still covers a fair bit of the boat. I also know what you mean about the sun-wary girlfriend, I have one as well. I think of it as a good thing since she stops me getting too sunburnt - plus I always catch fish when we go out.

I think you are getting something along the lines of a 'T' top - very smart solution for shade in a centre. Prob not quite as efficient use of space on the tiller but shouldnt look too funny - just watch out the poles dont get in the road of your rod holders

I have found that a 3 bow bimini with 2 ropes on either end to hold her down just gets in the road when fighting fish and especially lifting them onboard (not to mention when the bait board is on the back).

Would also be interested to know what others are doing to get out of the sun in their open boats?

HIGH and DRY
14-03-2007, 07:17 PM
i havn't used front holders since my mate dropped a TLD 25 on a backbone rod out of one!! (dodgy kmart thing!). But i will look at getting some new ones that clip on to the poles.

Ive seen blokes out that look like they are dressed to cross the arabian desert, but it must be hot. being a surfer/wakeboarder, i don't mind a little sun, but sitting in a tinny all day and not getting wet starts to warm the blood a little8-)

finga
14-03-2007, 08:39 PM
My little tinny came with a canopy with windscreen and sides and I used it once. Straps and crap everywhere getting in the way.
I have toyed about a canopy and haven't got there yet but I wanted the canopy to fold flat against the gunnell when I bung it on the trailer just so there wasn't as much wind blowing the canopy abouts. It could aslo serve as a cover as well.
My thoughts were to make the posts with a double folding action (like a bi-fold door) so the canopy basically falls straight down against the gunnel.

disorderly
14-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Gee mate if it comes down to either "looking a bit silly" or coming home looking like a fried lobster,with a headache and dehydration I wonder which I would choose.
A fixed stainless job sounds the go.Less intrusive and more solidly constucted than aluminium tube.
Got to keep the lady happy!

cheers Scott

HIGH and DRY
14-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Got to keep the lady happy!

cheers Scott[/quote]

ha ha not wrong!!!! hard to keep good deckies at the best of times!:P

finga: mine won't fold down as such, but the front post will bolted with a wingnut, so the whole lot can pivot on the back post and lay on the floor. this is more so i can get it under my car port, rather than travel. it is hoped i can tow with it up!

Tinn
15-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Best not to get a canopy if you fish with plastics it will be in your way if not then go for it. It will add value to your boat

Charlie
15-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Boatowner Magazine had an interesting canopy feature about three issues back,it's not on the seamedia website yet but they indicated the would put it up.
My high bimini looks a bit silly but when I'm out fishin,the sun or rains off my head who cares.

HIGH and DRY
15-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Boatowner Magazine had an interesting canopy feature about three issues back,it's not on the seamedia website yet but they indicated the would put it up.
My high bimini looks a bit silly but when I'm out fishin,the sun or rains off my head who cares.

you don't have a pic at all do you????

Luc
16-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Nothing wrong with a canopy on a tinny.

IMO, shade is a must. The first extra on my tinny was the bimini. I would not do without one.

The strapping can be a pain, but I just lear to work around it. An upcoming mos is to get rid of the strapping and use alum. spreader to brace the bimini.

Luc

sjp2
17-03-2007, 06:50 AM
i just use a big beach umbrella with a couple of spots around the boat to stick the pole in ,unless its around lunchtime a high canopy will give stuff all shade

stevos
17-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Good pics Luc,

That was exactly what I was describing - only ours has a large bait board over the outboard. I find the only decent place to cast lures for extended periods of time is the is on the forward cast deck which is still strap free.

This however doesnt always prove that easy with 3 blokes in the boat.

I think your on a winner High and Dry with the cantilever type cover. By the way how did your mate manage to loose the outfit - was it a clip on holder of fluch mounted gunnal number?

Luc
17-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I've seen umbrellas used to good effect on a tinny.

BUT make certain they're very well anchored. When you start to move or the wind picks up, a wayward umbrella is a dangerous thing.

I saw one get lifted out of its holder at the front of a tinny and the pointy bit only just missed the skipper on it's flight over the back of the boat.

Luc

HIGH and DRY
17-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Good pics Luc,

That was exactly what I was describing - only ours has a large bait board over the outboard. I find the only decent place to cast lures for extended periods of time is the is on the forward cast deck which is still strap free.

This however doesnt always prove that easy with 3 blokes in the boat.

I think your on a winner High and Dry with the cantilever type cover. By the way how did your mate manage to loose the outfit - was it a clip on holder of fluch mounted gunnal number?

nah. it was one that bolts on through the rowlocks. it looked like a corkskrew where one end had a loop and the other a cradle. he put the but in the loop, but missed the cradle when he let go of it.:-[ need less to say they are no longer in service;)