PDA

View Full Version : knots

craig51063
14-03-2007, 12:51 PM
can anyone give me the name of a decent joining knot to use to join Braid to trace line or tippet .chasing estury speices on soft plastics .

Tinn
14-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Double uni knot should do the trick

Fishing_Freddy
14-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi Craig you could try the albright knot or the improved blood knot or slim beauty all of which can be found in Geoff Wilsons knots and rigs book.Hope this helps
Ken :beer:

SCOTTYGC
14-03-2007, 03:03 PM
if you look in Hints and Tips at the top of the page there is a animated knot section

works well when learning a new knot

i allways use the albright knot

cheers
scotty

TIMMY 666
14-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Try using a stren knot, they're nice and strong plus they're easy to master.

Tim.

tiges
14-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Craig, better get those knots mastered before Awoonga at easter buddy. A big barra will sort out a dodgy knot in a nano-second. Along with the ones the boys have mentioned above, an albright tied with a double in the braid is a good one. And there's an example of a slim beauty in 'Freshwater Chat', in the 'Tackling Metreys in The Sticks' thread, it's another good knot.

If your wondering who this is, it's Tim, your bro-inlaw. That is if you are the Craig Grech I know.:-[ ;)

BilgeBoy
14-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Binini Twist in the Braid then Double Uni to the Leader...use 2 - 3 times your rod length of leader. Painfull to learn but they say it is mega strong. I have just gone from this to a Binin Twist in the braid and then Albright to the Mono....Both knots cast Ok.

BilgeBoy

solaris
14-03-2007, 08:11 PM
5 loop surgeon's Knot quick, easy & strong

craig51063
15-03-2007, 07:50 AM
thanks guys ill look them up
im asking for 2 reasons 1 i lost a very large jewfish of the beach at terigal,[knot slipped were the braid joined the main line ] i was fishin g for chopper tailor as bait for a jewie sesion that night ,i saw the fish 3 times over a 20 minute period and was at least 5 foot long . bbbuuuuggggeeeerrrrr !!!
2nd i want to get into soft plastics fishing
cheers
craig
ps
tim im not the craig you know
but thanks anyway

trueblue
18-03-2007, 12:54 PM
The albright will slip if given enough tension... Doesn't matter how well you have tied it. Improved albright is a little better but can still come undone. Better again with a double in the braid, but can still come undone.

Double uni will not come undone but the disadvantage is the leader tag going through the guides is a bit lumpier.

Matthias
18-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Use the strongest knots avaliable....bimini double with a bristol knot as leader connection. It's the strongest there is. All of the above knots are good but not as strong.

Pete.

Flex
19-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Yep. learn to do the Bimini twist+ a bristol. Bimini is the only braid knot that yields nearly 100% strength. and its pretty easy to tie after you practice for an hour or so