PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo off Gold Coast

Chimo
14-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Had a quick trip out on Monday and scored nice 18Kg Wahoo on the Thannus 1200. After about 15 mins and almost nothing left on the spool finally got it to the boat.
They do go hard before they run out of steam!

Cheers

Chimo

Fishing_Freddy
14-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Good looking fish, it would of stretched the arms a little. Well done Ken:beer:

snapperm8
14-03-2007, 09:44 AM
nice hoo there mate

cheers dave

Pistol_P
14-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice wahoo mate.
You shouldnt give away your location in your photos like that.....
Someone might recognise that kitchen.....;) ;D ;D

Chimo
14-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Pistol_P

Its hard to take a picture and hold the fish when your own your own! Boss didn't focus on the fish and I'm still trying to work out how to do this digital photo stuff.

Re the kitchen, its about the fish, not the catcher or the kitchen for that matter. Anyhoo our kichen guy did do a nice job tho, he likes one off different stuff, gets bored easily I guess like the rest of us.

Cheers

Chimo

Ratman
14-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Nice fish Chimo. What did you get it on?
Mick

Chimo
14-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Gooday Mick

Got it on an unweighted pilly.

Cheers
Chimo

Burley_Boy
14-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Cool I was out the other day on the 36's and got 0 from1 on a black but no other action on the pakulas. How far out were you?

iank
15-03-2007, 02:25 PM
I was also out on Mon, trolled the SE 24s for 3 hoo in the 8-10kg range, dropped one and finished with my first ever striped tuna, it was a lot of fun doing it by myself, if I stuffed up and lost a fish I couldn't blame anyone but me::) ;D Caught 2 of the wahoo on a 20 foot x-rap in mackrel pattern and the other on a 6inch classic barra in gold with red stipes.
Cheers Ian

Chimo
15-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Burley Boy

Got it on the 24s while I was also fishing for snapper. Good to have an alternate just in case, although as ianK commented by your self is fun but it does get a tad exciting when it happens.

Cheers
Chimo

jackson4300
15-03-2007, 09:14 PM
woulda got the heart rate up in an instant :D

great fish, bet it tasted great as well :D

Ninja
15-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Iank....I was talking to you at the ramp.....thanx heaps for the report. I headed just wide of the 24s but literally minutes after a spread of lures was set out the winds turned from 7 knots to 28-32 knots and the seas where a white mess:o . Now considering it was my wifes first trip offshore in the new boat and being only a 3.7 mt tinny....I quickly opted to do my best to smash my way back home. No fish to show but least the prop got a good test::) .

BTW....I didn't know rapala make a 20foot x-rap. Now that is a serious lure;D .

Snapsta
16-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Nice work mate, good to see a few bigger ones starting to be caught. Great chewin too !!

Fat Chilli
16-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Well I took Chimo's hint about the Wahoo off the Gold Coast and having never caught one thought I'd give it a try, bought a teazer etc, some skirts and ventured out this morning at 3 am, gave the Trag ago first and had no luck, just before sunrise the Hooded Warrior - Brett and myself re-rigged and set out the teaser.
So we started putting along at about 10 - 14 knots and within 5 minutes Brett yells out "I think our on", the adrenalin pumped and I was nearly spooled, I finally got him along side, then he took another dive and wrapped the line around the prop (yes I'm a learner ::) ) but he was to knackered to go to far and gave up on the fight, in the boat he came.

Not as big as Chimo's but I'm happy with it for my first Wahoo - 9.5 kg ;D .

No kitchen shots for me, I even smiled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ausjeep/WahooSmall.jpg

Chimo
16-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi FC

Well done, nice fish.

They go like a train don't they, that was my first on Monday and I too thought there is no way I have enough line on the spool. Then again when it was wrapped around the snapper line and the anchor warp I figured it was long enough.

Good that you had a photographer with you, as you saw I had to get home to get a photo and to get out of the heat as my bins were not big enough................

Also I really do think you need to have a look at the sunscreen your using tho, its very hard on your skin!

Cheers

Chimo

Fat Chilli
16-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Chimo - Sunscreen, what sunscreen. I went to the Chimo school of photography! (Fishermen Anonimous)

They go like a train don't they? They sure bloody do, took over 200 metres of line by the time I got onto the reel, next time I'll ensure the clicky sound thingy (whatever it's called) is activated so I can hear it peeling off.

I would have thought a well rounded fisher folk person such as yourself would have been prepared, i.e. huge bins ;) . I had nothing onboard even close to fitting it in, the small esky's just didn't come close, in the end the cabin foot well was converted into a slurry filled kill tank (it worked).

I'm still going to have take you up on the offer to go out deep, which you made when I bought the stainless anchor bouy ring off you (just a reminder ;D ).

Now I have a pefect reason to go buy a chest freezer for the fish and bait. coz it don't fit in the house hold one 8-) .

Thanks for the inspiration, awesome fish - on the way home I called in to the tackle shop and stocked up on more Wahoo supplies, loved it.

FC.