PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean my tinnie?

tin tin
14-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi, I've just recently bought a 3.7m Stacer tinnie (my first boat), and have had to renew the rego. As a result I need to clean the marks where the old rego numbers have been removed by the previous owner, before I can place the new stickers. I've tried turps but the tinnie just laughed at me... Any suggestions? Thanks.

finga
14-03-2007, 07:47 AM
First of all... welcome to Ausfish TT ;D
Is it the glue marks or are you trying to get off or are you trying to get the hull nice and shiney again??
If it's the glue marks I use thinners if it's not painted. If it's painted I'd be using a siliconoff or similar product.
If it's the boat to be all spiffy and clean use ali-brite or similar
You better put some pictures of your first boat up. You've just stepped over a huge step in the 'rights of passage'
Also get used to your tinny laughing at you. Boats have a habit of doing that :-/
Where are you based TT??
Cheers Scott :)

Noelm
14-03-2007, 08:00 AM
finga is ight on, no paint, thinners will clean it off in a jiffy, but if it is painted, be more careful, but on most modern paints, once properly cured, thinners is still ok to wipe on then straight off, but best to use some sort of household cleaner to be safe.

Blackened
14-03-2007, 09:58 AM
G'day

As above said, if its unpainted, then thinners or acetone.

If painted, be careful and eucalyptus oil should be sufficiant.

Dave

Tinn
14-03-2007, 11:14 AM
If it is glue marks use a hair dryer to heat up the surface first then wipe some toluene over it. This will get all glue and any dirt crap off all hard surfaces. But be carefull not to use to much toluene as it will eat the paint away. Just a few wipes then wash it off with normal household soap.

Toluene is an industrial strength cleaner. Can be purchased from any paint shop.

vector101
14-03-2007, 11:51 AM
boiling hot water is also very good, you just need to rub it off with a rag (the sticky stuff)

tin tin
14-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks all, for the advice. Will update the thread as soon as I've tried the solutions. Thanks for the welcome Scott, I'll try to figure out how to get pics of my boat on the site asap. I'm from Calamvale, and any recommendations of a nearby, quiet, boatramp would be great. I'd hate to have to get into a boxing match on my first day at the (dreaded) ramp!

Blackened
14-03-2007, 12:44 PM
any recommendations of a nearby, quiet, boatramp would be great

G'day

Good luck!!!!

No seriously, the best thing to do is pick a weekday, or weeknight or failing that, very early morning.

There's have to be a few spots up the logan river that are relatively quiet?

Dave

bluefin59
14-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I use eucylyptus oil to get of any stickerglue it wont harm the paint you can buy it from the supermarket or chemist it works...:D :D :D :D

ozbee
14-03-2007, 05:38 PM
tea tree oil all off in a flick

manchild
14-03-2007, 08:51 PM
G'day

Good luck!!!!

No seriously, the best thing to do is pick a weekday, or weeknight or failing that, very early morning.

There's have to be a few spots up the logan river that are relatively quiet?

Dave
Carbrook boatramp is the go ,its nice and secure.Cost you 5 bucks though.Just drive down redland bay road ,its behind Seabreeze caravan park just after the golf course.
George