PDA

View Full Version : Data dot

blaze
13-03-2007, 02:08 PM
to my suprise a parcel arrived in the mail today from Tohatsu, it was a datadot system to do my new outboard. So carefully following instructions I applied data dots to about 20 points on the outboard (even the hub of the prop to see how it stays there), this is a recommended point also. Long story short the datadot has been registered with tohatsu and datadot to my name. So what are peoples thoughts on doing the other boat and motors so they all had data dots bearing in mind it is registered agaisnt my name. My thoughts are that it shouldnt be to much of a drama as it leaves a trail even if at some point I was to sell something.
cheers
blaze

Y-Not
13-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Blaze I think the data dot idea on all gear boats motors and trailers is a top idea. As you said even if you sell them there is always a paper trail so they can be traced. It may even help reduce insurance premiums (YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!)

STUIE63
13-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Blaze
evinrude sent me data dot for my etec . I put it on everything boat sounder plotter the works.
Stuie

seabug
13-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Great idea Blaze.
If there is enough left over you could even do car accessories and household valuables.

Should be worth trying for a discount from your insurer.

Regards
seabug

alba
13-03-2007, 03:51 PM
mate
Signature do it on all thier new boats. Must be worthwhile also the insurance rates should be reduced
Macca

blaze
13-03-2007, 04:47 PM
been going around dotting every thing, havnt got the wife yet but wait till she sits down.
cheers
blaze

Owen
13-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I've heard of these dots.
What stops them being removed?
Are they like a little barcode?

propdinger
13-03-2007, 04:54 PM
there was a security company that put your licence number on them for you and you could do everything cant remember the company wasnt long after the idea started off

blaze
13-03-2007, 06:06 PM
the dots I was supplied with come in a white gel that dries clear. If you look close you can see the dots but if you steal it from me, how do you know where the dots are to remove them. On my 18hp tohatsu they have been put in about 20 places. On the other things I did (most things have had them put in more than one place) it is hard to see where they are with out knowing. Still have half the little container left (might put a dab behind the left ear incase I get lost)
cheers
blaze
Will also ring my insurance broker and see if I can get a reduction

peterbo3
13-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Blaze,
Did you you get a BIG sticker to put on the cowl advertising the fact that the Data Dots had been applied? You need to DETER the suckers who want to lift your gear.

finga
14-03-2007, 06:59 AM
A great idea and I bet it was a pleasant surprise to receive in the mail :)
See if you find out the number and let the broker know it and also everything you dotted.

Left ear :D
Bung them on the forehead. Easier to find.
Well, at least on my forehead they would be :-/

blaze
14-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Looking into the website, the dots are first found by a special light and then magnified to get the code off them. Yes you can see them if you look closely but then you have to know where to look. They are less visable on a dark color than a light color. There was also the sticker to put on the cowl of the motor which has been placed in a very visable spot. Hope I never need to use it though
cheers
blaze