PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Motor Support Bracket???

Bin455
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Howdy all, Just wanted to know if it is important to have a motor support bracket on the back of a boat trailer. The motor if a 50 honda with electric trim/tilt on a 4.55m seajay haven sport. When I picked it up there was a block of timber in between the motor and where it mount on the transom, the bloke at the dealership said that it was the best support you can use. Just lift up the motor put the block of wood in between and lower the motor until the wood takes the weight.

Does anyone think I should be using a motor support bracket??
Or would the timber block be enough???

Bin455

dogsbody
12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a tight arse dealer to me. It would be easy for the wood to come out i think,lookout anyone following you. I'd be using a bracket.

Dave.

Forrester
12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Do you think the support bracket you flip underneath and drop the motor back on is not sufficient when travelling? That's what I do with mine. Anyone have a different opinion?
Roy

Raesen
12-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Bin 455
Only have a small rig at the moment and will stay that way.
Targeting estuary species.
You will note I have given up on targeting species just take what I can get (legal) in the creeks an estuaries,
Have had larger boats in the past with brackets, clips, hydraulic and the like motor supports but have always used a motor bracket support back to trailer chasis..
Don't know the exact answer to your question but with the roads we travel over to get to the water nowdays the $30 (approx) cost is a reasonable insurance in my mind for motor support to take the stress of all the things I mentioned above.
No mechanic and my thoughts only.
Cheers
Pete

Daisy
12-03-2007, 11:33 PM
The reason those motor support brackets are a good idea is they take the weight at the bottom of the leg, this is so the swivel tube that the motor pivots on when you steer does not flog out, a bit of pine under the mtor mount still leaves weight of the leg bouncing up and down. This was explained to me by an Evinrude rep at a boatshow. Also one to look out for when buying second hand ,very costly to fix.

STUIE63
13-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Bin455
just buy the bracket you don't want the motor weight swinging on your transom get the weight supported from your trailer
Stuie

timddo
13-03-2007, 08:55 AM
hmmm, i can't fit a motor support bracket on my trailer. It wasn't designed for it.??????????.

tripplenipple
13-03-2007, 08:57 AM
All aluminium work hardens and cracks.
surport it!
Problem solved!

seatime
13-03-2007, 11:52 AM
The support bracket transfers some of the load to the trailer and takes load off the transom, motor mounting bracket and hydraulic tilt ram and seals.
Seen pressed tinnies with cracked transoms from unsupported motors. The tilt latch is not designed for trailering.
If you're doing a lot of trailering, and the roads aren't A1, then a bracket is a sensible idea.
I had to modify mine cause the standard job didn't allow for the pod. :)

regards
Steve

Bin455
13-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the replys and info......I guess like Raesen said for approx $30 I will go out and get one for some cheap insurance.

Thanks again.
Bin455