PDA

View Full Version : Moogerah 5th and 11th March

Pumba
12-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Guys,
After hitting Somerset pretty hard the last few weekends with not a great deal to show, gave Moogerah a go last Monday and Sunday.

Monday 5th-
Got to the dam about 7am and fishing was pretty fast and furious all day. Trolling lipless crankbaits and spinnerbaits out in the open water. Caught over 50 bass for the day, with 36 of the legal- the biggest going 52cm. A few just legal Goldens thrown in for good measure. All released to fight another day. Left dam at 4pm after the best day fishing I've had in a long time.

Sunday 11th-
Hit the Dam at about 6am to beat the skiers to a 50cm first fish. Trolling spinnerbaits accouted for the best fish again, with 12 legal Bass boated, 3 of them to 50cm. Was very hot and the fish just wernt on the ball like they were on Monday. The heat and a 30kn wind drove us off at 2pm.

Interesting to note the general poor condition of the fish- and I just dont mean the lean summer condition they carry. Every Bass boated was riddled in Anchorworm, with many also suffering broken and split fins and emaciation. I have never seen this on impoundment fish before, usually Anchorworm is only present on fish in intensive culture situations. Anyone else noticed this on impoundment fish?

If someone could let me know how to post some pics I have a few here of the fish.

Cheers,
Matt

bdowdy
13-03-2007, 06:37 AM
hi matt have also seen anchorworm on fish here, amd have seen it on afew cod in my local creek. does it harm the fish in any way, dont really know that much about it and either do alot of people i fish with.cheers bdowdy

Pumba
13-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Bdowdy,
Anchorworm is not a huge concern to the health of the fish- I have seen fish covered in the parasite and recover with no ill effects. It seems to be seasonal- usually present at the beggining and end of summer.

I just found it to be really unusual to find fish in a large impoundment to have them- it is usually only seen in intensive culutre systems as the juvenile stage of the disease needs to find a host quickly otherwise they die. Hopefully it will clear up in a few weeks on the fish.

Cheers,
Matt

bdowdy
13-03-2007, 08:17 PM
thanks for the info matt have seen it so many times and some fish had it really bad. i have actually pulled them off the fish thinking it may help???????any how i fished moogerah last november and a few fish had it but not as bad as the last few months, has water levels got much to do with it . the bass were fat as last year compared to his year. cheers bdowdy

wrip109
14-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Can you still eat the fish with no ill effects? (ill effects to me not the fish of course!)

Phil

Higgins Family
14-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys! Sounds like we could have a great weekends fishing this weekend as we are heading out. Hmm I have 2 new spinner baits Im yet to really work so I'll kick off with them given your success:)
Let ya know details when I get back

wrip109
17-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Went today (17th) and trolled etc for 5 hours. Result? 1 silver perch and one lost Jackall. Must be the cool nights I think.

Some boats were catching baby bass in a 15 foot drop-off, but I kept away from them because they seem to school by size.

Phil