PDA

View Full Version : Ring Netting In the Bay

Dantren
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Was over at 4 beacons on Friday.

Saw a commercial boat ring netting schools of bait/tuna/mackeral.

I thought this activity was illegal nowadays.

5cougarsthanx
12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Didnt happen to get his commercial rego number by any chance.As far as i know it has been banned for 3 years now.Dirty rotten mongrels

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Only ring netting of Spottie mackerel has been banned. As far as I know.

Phill

Dantren
12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
How do the fishermen determine what species the school consists of prior to dropping the net over?

And if random spotties are caught, are they likely to survive the experience?

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Bonito, mack tuna etc feed different to spotties. Any Spotties caught can be submitted to the fishboard as ' by-catch ", but that is limited.

Phill

BLOOEY
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Yep the pros are still allowed to ring net bait.I saw one thismorning also up at mooloolaba.

Daisy
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Doncha just luv it the rotten mogerels stil trying to screw up an already half screwed fishery

peterreb
13-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I was over there Friday afternoon and saw the same boat, I managed to get photo's and his rego number.
He was targeting schools of mactuna,he wasn't to happy with me as i got a bit too close, He yelled out, give him some space, as I spooked the school he had the net around and they swam out under it. I thought it was illegal at the time, but made some inquireries and the short of it is they can.

Sea-Dog
13-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Gee, what a shame that the fish escaped the net. ::)

Oh well, I suppose someone else will have the chance of catching them now. ;D

JustOneMore
13-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the pro's allowed to keep 30 spotties per day per boat as 'by-catch'?

This is what I was told, and it sounds like a lot when you consider how many they can take every day!

charleville
13-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I have never ever met a professional fisherman so I know nothing of them except that I try to stay out of their way when they are trawling at night between Mud and St Helena, which they do often.

However, I reckon if I am ever in perilous trouble out there, they would do whatever they could do to save me so I am lesss inclined to treat them as an enemy than as someone who we recreational fishos should try to co-exist with. I would certainly do nothing to try to take away their legal living nor that of any fellow Aussie.

If the guy was ring netting mack tuna and that is legal, good luck to him. I am sure that he has kids to feed and educate and rent to pay just like everyone else. Mack tuna are not high on any of our catch priorities.

If we, as amateur fishos, have issues with the rules than that is a different story and is one which we should turn to government about for strategic policy formulation and policing rather than harrass some poor bloke trying to make a living between bouts of bad weather.

Noelm
14-03-2007, 08:56 AM
yep, right on Charlie!

peterreb
14-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I have never ever met a professional fisherman so I know nothing of them except that I try to stay out of their way when they are trawling at night between Mud and St Helena, which they do often.

However, I reckon if I am ever in perilous trouble out there, they would do whatever they could do to save me so I am lesss inclined to treat them as an enemy than as someone who we recreational fishos should try to co-exist with. I would certainly do nothing to try to take away their legal living nor that of any fellow Aussie.

If the guy was ring netting mack tuna and that is legal, good luck to him. I am sure that he has kids to feed and educate and rent to pay just like everyone else. Mack tuna are not high on any of our catch priorities.

If we, as amateur fishos, have issues with the rules than that is a different story and is one which we should turn to government about for strategic policy formulation and policing rather than harrass some poor bloke trying to make a living between bouts of bad weather.

That is why I found out information first before gobbing off to authorities concerned, and it was unintensional on my behalf, ie getting to close

kingie
14-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Don't confuse purse seineing with high speed ring netting, the two methods differ as ring netting worked on a gill net principal, seining traps the school in the net. have a look at http://www.afma.gov.au/information/students/methods/purse_seine.htm

cheers