PDA

View Full Version : Tynos 30 or TLD 25

timddo
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Looking at my reels and the only reels i have a egg beaters.

a penn 9500ss, pen 7500ss , 2 x 6500 baitrunners shimano, 1X tss4 ( new inclusion). Looking at buying a rig for the occasional offshore or big fish.

So what do members recommend?? tynos 30, tld 25 or another brand.

i'm bias and don't like okuma's, They look kinda hmm weak.

insideout
12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
i have not owned a tynos? but have owned tld 25s and thay are a good reel , but i have recently bought a alvey deep sea snapper reel for hard core bottom bashing in the deep and found that suits me best. You will have to weigh up how far and deep you will go, and what species you will be targeting, but i have yet to meet a fish from the deep that will beat an alvey!!

samson
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Got tynos and a tld both have bad problems getting jerky drags but you'll get that with all reels when fished hard if i was to choose i would out of the two take the tynos for the fast retreive but for a punter that doesn't fish much tlds are good value for money if your after something with abit of line capacity for trolling its will do you for most offshore fish.

But if your after anything else in that price range i would be going towards the dawai sealine sld 30 they have good line capacity fast retreive and the drag seems to stay smooth after alot of punishment due too the duel drag system.

Stubbie Holder
12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I have a Tyrnos 30 / 2 speed for bottom bashing and a set of TLD 25's for trolling. I would have to say I favour the Tyrnos out of the two but either one will give good service and knock over just about any bottom fish you would find. Here is a pic of a cod I pulled up with the Tyrnos on Sat. also caught another one a little larger around 10 mins. later. Another pic is a Sailfish caught on a TLD 25 in Vanuatu last year. So either reel would be a good choice IMHO.

Stubbie!

cammac
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi that 9500ss shud handle pretty big fish! what u chasing? If you are only going occasionally Id have a look on ebay or second hand store for something - even the old Penn Senators will work well ! most of those big overheads are pretty tough and unless your targeting marlin, etc then u need to go up a level!

PlasticFantastic
13-03-2007, 08:41 AM
There's a tackle store called Mo Tackle who have TLD 25's on special with line for $169 at the moment (not sure for how much longer though). That might sway you the direction of the TLD. Tyrnos is a great reel only problem is the ANNOYING CLICKING NOISE every time you wind the handle.

PlasticFantastic

timddo
13-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Thans plasticfantastic. i look at that last nite and this morning. tyrnos is TLD in a metal case. After talking to the minister of finance i'm getting a TLD25 , People from mo tackle is throwing in a spool fo 40 lb line ( upgrade from 30lb). And i brough a $5 game on Ebay. With first and tip rollers. IF all goes well i'll be looking for a better rod soom. Ebay rods are just ebay rods( how the hell do you make money from selling a $5 rod with bag?????. Just the tips would cost more than $5. Will be targeting tuna in the bay and sharks. Sushimi is yum yum yum with a dozen beers.

zigfreed
16-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Thans plasticfantastic. i look at that last nite and this morning. tyrnos is TLD in a metal case. After talking to the minister of finance i'm getting a TLD25 , People from mo tackle is throwing in a spool fo 40 lb line ( upgrade from 30lb). And i brough a $5 game on Ebay. With first and tip rollers. IF all goes well i'll be looking for a better rod soom. Ebay rods are just ebay rods( how the hell do you make money from selling a $5 rod with bag?????. Just the tips would cost more than $5. Will be targeting tuna in the bay and sharks. Sushimi is yum yum yum with a dozen beers.

Timddo

Nice rod to go with the 25TLD or the Tyrnos would be a Shimano backbone 15kg. Retail for around $140. I own 1 of each and prefer the tyrnos personally.

Have never had the jerky drag problem that samson had though. Samson are you locking these things up or maybe getting water in the drag washers when you are washing them????

Not taking the p*ss mate, just never heard of that from those 2 reels.

Mick

zigfreed
16-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Timddo

Nice rod to go with the 25TLD or the Tyrnos would be a Shimano backbone 15kg. Retail for around $140. I own 1 of each and prefer the tyrnos personally.

Have never had the jerky drag problem that samson had though. Samson are you locking these things up or maybe getting water in the drag washers when you are washing them????

Not taking the p*ss mate, just never heard of that from those 2 reels.

Mick

I will corect myself before someone else does, a mate of mine years ago fished tuna off the stones with a TLD15 and got a sticky drag after a while. Resolved it by opening the case the drag washer is in (black plastic spool about 10mm thick)
turned the washer 180 degrees and was as good as new.

Mick

timddo
17-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, i'm saving up to get a tynos too and a matching rod. i kinda like ugly sticks. so will probably get one of them. i think around $100 for the rod.

that will be in a few months or a next pay week. Tynos is around $269

Black_Rat
17-03-2007, 09:22 PM
timddo,

Having fished with both reels :) the Trynos 30 is the only way to go ! ;) it'll cost a bit more.

A suitable rod ? A Live Fibre M10 stick will probably cost the same as the reel !

DO NOT GET AN UGLY STIK ! They are a good blanke but with my dealings with them the guides ARE SHIT ! The 7ft models I refer to ;)

Horse
17-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Depends on whaqt you are doing. The TLD's are light and can knock of anything most people are likely to come across.

Cheerrs

Neil

trueblue
17-03-2007, 09:42 PM
[quote=samson;588958]Got tynos and a tld both have bad problems getting jerky drags but you'll get that with all reels when fished hard if i was to choose i would out of the two take the tynos for the fast retreive but for a punter that doesn't fish much tlds are good value for money if your after something with abit of line capacity for trolling its will do you for most offshore fish.
quote]

Do you store the reel with the drag left on? Do you wash the reel with the drag off? Have you adjusted the drag with the drag on?

Thats about all you could to to those two reels to get a jerky drag. I have used my TLD's at maximum drag settings quite a lot, and never had a problem. Even when I back off the drag for lighter use, they are still smooth. I believe it comes down to looking after them, that all.

Cheers

Mick

Wazfish
19-03-2007, 01:50 PM
i have a tynos 30 and i think the drag on it is awsome, its smooth as and easy to use just my opinoin but

waz

GPB
19-03-2007, 03:32 PM
TLD and Tynos use the same drag system, the differance comes in alloy instead of graphite body, 5.0:1 instead of 3.6 ratio,and a 'you beauty' handle. :-/ TLD 2 speed reels have a better drag than the TLDs, 4.0:1 high ratio and a large solid handle.:)
I love and use them all and have upgraded my old TLD 25's with Tynos handles [straight swap] which gives me a lite reel with a top handle.;D

samson
19-03-2007, 03:41 PM
TrueBlue i wash my reels correctly and store them with the drags backed off i have penn,dawai,shimano,accurate and other makes of reels all of the top quality but when i mean fished hard imean anywhere upto seven days a week commercially, there isn't a reel on the market that can handle big fish punishment to that extent day in day out you add that to the drenching they get in rough seas daily you won,t find any that won,t buckle eventually, i have all my reels rebuilt up to four times a year at a massive exspence but they just aren't designed for commercial abuse. If iwas just a weekend warrior imight see your point but no matter how much you service them replace parts wash them spray them they just don't last.

Cheers samson

trueblue
21-03-2007, 03:38 PM
No worries mate. That makes sense.

Cheers

Mick

GPB
21-03-2007, 07:07 PM
A couple of my old TLD25's are nearly 20 years old, they started thier lives as 8kg light game [Marlin] reels but were replaced over the years by TLD2speed and lately Tynos30s. They are still in use catching Macs, tuna, cobia etc. All things have a lifespan no matter how well they are looked after and if I had done as mutch fishing as Samson I would have been happy to replace my reels every few years as tools of my trade.::)
PS: Just had a 'unbreakable' reel [6 months old $1450] sent over to the US to replace a small broken part that holds the 'unbeakable' internal parts together. All fixed and back within 2 weeks,,, 'Diamonds Last Forever';D