PDA

View Full Version : Prop Help Needed

jimbamb
12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I've got a 2002 15 hp Yammy driving a 3.7 edgetracker with all the gear needed to be carried + Battery and transom minkota.It has a 2 piece hydrofoil attached.
Problem is she doesnt like getting up on plane.Boggs down and will not rev out.Goes ok once up approx 30/35Kms.
The prop is 9.25 X 10.5.
Question is.... Is it possible to reduce the pitch by removing some if the prop?? by grinder?file
Will this allow it to rev out.
Should i try another prop if so what pitch would u advise??
Anyone else with similar setup... What prop do you use and do u have the same problem /how was it fixed.
How much of the prop should i remove to reduce the pitch...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noelm
12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
yes that is possible, but NOT what I would do! or probably anyone else who knows about props, best off is to try to get an accurate RPM reading, with maybe help from your dealer if the ouitfit is new anf take it from there, if you have access to various props and a tacho then you are in luck, look at your manual and find out full RPM recomdations and fit a prop that will let you acheive this with "normal" load. as a really bsic guide, the next size prop down will increase by about 500RPM (more or less)

Noelm
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
geees my keyboard cannot type today, sorry about the missing characters.

finga
12-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Have you got a picture of the back of the boat and motor.
I had to raise my motor a long way to get it going OK on my Edgetracker.
The two foil may need to be looked at as well.

Y-Not
13-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Ring the good folks at Solas propellers down the coast. They are very helpful and gave me the good oil to sort out my prop issues when I replaced my motor a couple of years back!

trueblue
13-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you are over pitched with the propellor for the weight you want to carry. Just drop to the next pitch down and try that.

You want the lowest pitch prop that will just allow you to get top revs (without over revving) when normally loaded and trimmed out.

However, as mentioned above, a photo is needed to rule out other potential issues. Take the photo from side on, with the camera close to level with the bottom of the hull, ensuring the whole engine, trim setting and engine height are clearly shown in the photo. Make sure the engine is at its running position, not lifted up.

Cheers

Mick

jimbamb
14-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanx guys.
As the boat is not on the trailer at present(I use it as a car topper) I.ll try and get a pic later,I have it set in the bottom hole.and is level with the bottomof the hull at the planing plate as the book says.
It seems to rev out once it gets on top but only revs to about 2500 while trying to get out of the hole
I dont have access to props that is why i was toying with the idea of trying to reduce the pitch,
Ill try and get an accurate rev reading( i have a tach/dwell meter i acan addapt.(Maybee))
Will keep at it and get back here.
Thanx

davez104
14-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Sounds like you are carrying a fair bit of weight for the horspower you have. If it revs out when it does get on the plane, you will lose top speed and possibly over-rev the motor with a smaller pitch prop. It will get out of the hole a bit better though. I would play with the mounting height of the motor, maybe try different foils if you know anyone that has them on a similar motor. You could also play with weight distribution a bit, if it drags its ar$e a bit, move a bit of stuff up the front. With a small horsepower like that, you might find a few small adjutments will help heaps.

Dave.

litenup
15-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Edgetrackers are not light boats, so your 15 horses are working very hard. Mate has one with 20 Yammie converted to 25, its good. You will need weight up front. Try Solas(on Sunny Coast), but there aren't a lot of choices for prop changes in smaller hp. Good luck Pete.

THE FISH WISPERER
15-03-2007, 05:58 PM
motor horsepower is too small for boat if you dont want to upgrade you need to move weight forward try putting battery up front
also maybe look at a better foil most those 2 piece ones are not very good
try a se sports or a permatrim
good luck

themissus
15-03-2007, 06:09 PM
We had a 15hp yamaha on a 3.5 explorer and experienced the same problem. Mentioned this our local dealer(Yamaha) and he told me the standard prop was way over pitched out of the box. he recomended a full inch less pitch(but i'd check with your dealer). Also, we recently bought a new Solas aluminium prop for our 50hp Suzuki. turns out they are identical to a Yamaha prop (same multi fit hub)......And we could have bought it from the Yamaha spare parts list for $100 less than the Solas>:( >:( >:( >:(

:o

Bin455
15-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Would a Yamaha prop fit a Honda anyone know???

davez104
15-03-2007, 07:33 PM
No, I don't think so, but a Mercury one will.

Dave.

litenup
16-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Yammie prop does fit Honda. I had 130 Honda and ran Yammie prop, originally from 90 Yammie. Not sure about smaller hp's. Cheers Pete

jimbamb
16-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanx again all your adsvise noted and will try.everything.
Battery is located up front with wife and everything else i can get up there.Will climb out if i move myself forward for a while but isnt real safa lettin her steer herself while im up there!!!!
Cant get bigger motor as im flat out carrying motor from ute to boat now!!!!

Geez its hard!!!! oh well maybee ill try trimming the prop and making sure i dont over rev it..It is no good as it is so if i stuff it <<<nothing lost>>>

Roughasguts
16-03-2007, 11:55 AM
What happens if you raise the motor an inch, if better try two.

jimbamb
19-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Roughas.
Ill ive it a try nex time on the water.
I removed a small amount off the prop about 5% ill see if that helps also.
goin to monduran after easter so ill know more then..