PDA

View Full Version : Bag -out Off Moreton !

rakinray
11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
G/ day all made a late call sat nite to head out for a bottom bash sunday, hit the water at 5.00am thru the south passage and on to the bait grounds, found plenty of yakkas loaded up and headed to the first spot. Looked pretty bare so moved on to the next area and found some fish, over the next 4 hours we boated almost 40 fish (most going back ) ended up with our bag for snapper and picked up another dozen mixed table fish (pigfish,jobfish,trag jew,pearl perch,sargent bakers). Best snapper went 6 kilo and the rest were between 2 and 4 kilo. Took a few pics of a couple of fish that i need all you id experts to give me the details on please ! All in all a top day to be outside as you can see in the pics, next to no current running and no breeze for most of the day ;D Good signs for the coming Snapper season !

CHEERS RAY :D Enjoy the pics ! fish id for the Drummer type fish and the Scarlet perch (red fish ) i think.

BR65
11-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Some nice knobs there Ray.
Cant help you with the drummer look a like, but the red fish is a black spot pig fish, nice white firm fillets and excellant chewing.
cheers
Brian

macca.narch1
11-03-2007, 09:13 PM
yeah,top catch there rakinray looks like u had a wow of a day. looking through my fish i.d. books the closest thing i can see that matches that drummer looking fish is a Bastard Trumpeter {latridopsis forsteri } if so he,s a bit far north of where u supposed to catch em.

5cougarsthanx
11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Ray,
In regards to the current how wide did you fish.As thinking of doing a run to deep tempest.Congrats on the catch
Cougarman

ooglie74
11-03-2007, 09:43 PM
The drummer type fish is a sweep.
The other a black spot pigfish.

sleepygreg
12-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Yep, drummer type fish is definitely a sweep - waste of space, th red one is a blck spot pig fish - right up there with coral trout in the chewin department. Nice mixed bag there - hopefully the reefie season will be a good one this winter.

Greg

Fishing_Freddy
12-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Looks like I went the wrong way on the weekend.:hammer: I went off the gold coast with some mates and didn't catch anything worth bring home. Looks like you you had a great day out, what where you using for bait?
Ken:beer:

Sandman
12-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Mate well done am hoping this weekend comming is a goer.

snapperm8
12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
well done some great knobbies there

cheers dave

Spectre
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
G'day Ray

That is an excellent catch of fish for this time of year. Some early snappas. Gotta be stoked with that. It was an awesome day to be on the water. ;D What part of Moreton did u fish ....roughly ???

We were at the bar at 5.30 am & turned right to fish Pt Lookout area. Bad choice by the sounds. Trolled the Group, the Sevens & one of the new FADs for zero. :(

Did some bottom bashing at the one mile, but only managed 1 good tuskie & got bricked by a couple of biggins. ;D
Always next time tho.

Cheers
Phil

webby
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Done a sneeky while i was working eh????
About time Dan christened his boat properly
Good haul mate, see what this weekend brings for a little challenge ??
regards

rakinray
12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
G/ day fellas thanx for the replies seems that the red fish is a black spot piggy and im not conviced the drummer look alike is a sweep my book shows a different dorsal fin than the one in picture, and even thou the pic makes it look tiny it measured almost 37cms and very thick body. We fished between the 90 and 110 mt lines and the current was almost nil Cougarman, but that changes from day to day.Almost givin up on the goldie Ken for bottom bashin only go that way if im trollin, we picked up most fish on the old paternoster rig with fresh mullet and very fresh squid, we had floaters out with live yakkas but only got one fish and a three foot school shark. Hey Mike give me a call and we might see whats on the plans, i know the old bay guru will be keen ::) Hard luck on the trollin Phill you know what they say no run no fun ! We fished wide ne of the passage mate;)

CHEERS RAY :D

longtail
12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
good haul there Ray

conditions look a lot better than our last trip around the rainbow ::) :-X ;D

Jason.

Sandman
13-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Will have room for 2 if your keen , or we can go out in a convoy if you want . Good to see Dan blooded the boat well and truly were you at spot x or close ?
Mick