PDA

View Full Version : Fish stocking in Kurwongbah?

Bassjunky
11-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know if there is going to be any chance of stocking lake kurwongbah? How do we go about getting support? (maybe an electric dam like macdonald)
I know that they have wakeboard comps there, actually one on today? So the little old tinnie would be of no concern!
I'm sure that people wouldn't mind paying a fee to catch some big fat bass like the neighbouring lake samsonvale/N.P.D.

It is a beautiful little lake and is not overly large so it would be perfect for electrics.
Just a thought:)

rayken1938
11-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I think that it is already in progress with the Pine Rivers Fishstocking Assn. I believe that they have verbal approval and support from The council and Primary Industries and have just to submit the formal paperwork. Just hope Dareen Hoax keeps away or it will never happen. ( in joke)
Ray

Feral
11-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I've heard that the North Pine group are in the early stages of setting up a new group for Kurwongbah, and have permission to stock.

Luc
11-03-2007, 07:48 PM
The Kurwongbah group is under the umbrella of the North Pine group.

From talking to one of the movers, stocking should happen in a matter of weeks.

Luc

Fitzy
11-03-2007, 10:25 PM
The management plan has been sihned by PRFMA executive a couple of weeks ago which has been sent with apllication to stock crown waters to DPI&F.
I dont forsee any problems as DPI&F have already seen the draft copy & made alterations.

I expect to see a signed copy of the management plan for Kurwongbah along with the permit to stock in a few weeks.

Once this is done fish may go in any time, however it is a good idea to hold until DPI&F can (hopefully) do a pre-stocking electrofish survey before any fingerlings are liberated.

The next holdup will be funding. ie, there is none for this financial year so if anyone wants to help kick start the program, you can make donations to PRFMA in person or send a cheque with a note telling them where the money is for.

I will throw in the first $50 for Kurwongbah at the next PRFMA meeting ........... Feel free to attend & become a member.... first wednesday night of each month at Lake Samsonvale workshops.

Regards,

Fitzy..

Hardb8
12-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I sent an email to PRFMA on Friday,With regards to what's involved in becoming a member,So I could give something back to this great fishery.I have had no response yet.But I'm waiting eagerly.

Hi Fitzy,
Do you know if it is O.K. to turn up to the workshop unannounced?Or is it a little more formal?

fishytales
12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I too would be interested in attending their next meeting if able, and would also like to contribute to the stocking program.

Address where the Lake Samsonvale workshops take place???

Phone number or email address of PRFMA?

Can anyone help?

Chris

Bassjunky
12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm keen as.:D

rayken1938
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
this email was current in 2005 prfma@hotmail.com.
Ray

shayned
13-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Guys,
I went to the last meeting and caught up with the guys. I finally got to meet with Garry and our own Obi-wan from ausfish. My initial impression is, they are a great bunch of guys (even Obi) and are very passionate about their fishing. The meeting is held the first wednesday in the month and is held in block A at the dam starting at 7.30 pm. No you dont need to contact them before you come just show up and get involved.

Importantly with the Kurwongbah stocking coming up and the fact that the assoc. doesn't have it's normal funding source available whilst the dam levels are so low, support even just in the form of new membership funds is needed to help them continue doing the good work that they started in 1993. I would suggest that anyone who has enjoyed the fruits of their labours finds either the time to come and help now that it's needed or at least find a lazy $20.00 to become a financial member.

If you need directions to get there or want a member ship form, pm me and I'll help out.

As to the emails they will respond to them, in the past when doing the same thing they've always replied sometimes it does take a little while though.

Feral
14-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Perhaps they should go SIP for Kerwongbah? It would probably be a good idea as its going to be quite a while before they start to generate any money for stocking waiting for fish to get big enough to flog permits. They are currently taking a flogging with the shore fishing at the Pine being free, with no income from boat fisho's.

rayken1938
14-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Perhaps they should go SIP for Kerwongbah? It would probably be a good idea as its going to be quite a while before they start to generate any money for stocking waiting for fish to get big enough to flog permits. They are currently taking a flogging with the shore fishing at the Pine being free, with no income from boat fisho's.
Makes sense to me and sip for sampsonvale would bring more income and maybe keep some of the meat hunters away.
Every other stocking group that I have been in contact with speaks very highly of the SIP scheme even though the government creams a high percentage for admin costs.
Ray

shayned
14-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Another source for funds for the seed stock is being explored currently to get it up and running which apparently then allows the option of sips in a couple of years. Fitzy knows more about that side of things though.