PDA

View Full Version : No Bananas Today

Frank OO
11-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Tammy and I left at 05:00am yesterday and headed out for nowhere. One and a half hours later we arrived to a beautiful flat sea with just a hint of swell. We didn’t even need the sea anchor.

I dropped the knife jig over and BANG! that was the end of that. My 80 pound leader was obviously too light. Tried again with 120 lbs and this time caught an Amberjack at 15.5kg.

Meanwhile Tammy had already latched onto one on the other side of the boat and was having a lot of trouble holding onto the rod. Finally she had him to the surface at 18kg.

After another six AJ’s we had caught enough. We were both buggered so we rigged up the Egrells with a Nuclear Chicken and tried for some Snapper. More AJ’s. We were hit by everything except Snapper. Mac Tuna Striped Tuna and more AJ’s.

At about 10:00am we decided that we couldn’t pull any more in so we headed home. When we got back to the shipping channels there were Long Tails everywhere.

Bugger Just one more cast or was it twenty. The Tuna hit everything we cast into the water.

Just as well there were no Bananas.

Big_Ren
11-03-2007, 08:58 AM
The size of the quarry is getting bigger and bigger Frank:o Bust-offs on 80:o :o

Great work from Tammy...she must enjoy the arms getting stretched or your dulcet tones;D She is scoring some awesome fish. Did the handle manage to stay on the Saltiga this time?;)

Great fishing...well done, and good to see Nowhere produces again (except when we go with you!!!)

Cheers
Paul

Frank OO
11-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi Paul,

That handle will be superglued on shortly. Bloody Left hand wind should be outlawed.

Tammy is having a ball now that she is back in Brisbane.

Frank OO

Donnie
11-03-2007, 01:08 PM
WOW Frank oo i hope i hook one of those in the near future, you and Tammy make it look so easy.
Well done. Great Pics!

scottym
11-03-2007, 01:59 PM
That is just awsome! well done.

Scalem
11-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Like father like daughter

That's awesome fishing both of you.:o :o The hours of looking for the right spot has paid off, it certainly produces most times you go out there hey Frank?

The best part of your photos is that NOBODY could ever suggest you are exaggerating the size of those AJ's by holding them out from your body toward the camera. Not even you would have any strength left in the arms to hold them out for two or 3 seconds. They look a big fish BECAUSE THEY ARE ;) ;)

Well done!!

Scalem

Scalem
11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Also..... I just had a closer look at your sounder shot..... Gives me the jitters just thinking what my reactions would be, had I been fishing with you.... To the right of the screen, it's like "Look what's coming!!! Woohoo!!"

Scalem

finga
11-03-2007, 04:44 PM
::) Gees Uncle Frank
Looks like you and Tammy can't go anywhere without pulling up a HUGE AJ or seventeen.
I reckon you could catch them in the Logan under the highway if you set your mind to it.
Cheers and well done
Scott

RCG008
11-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Super Fishing that. You guys sure can catch your Amberjacks. Making me very Jealous. Good stuff!

INTIMIDATOR
11-03-2007, 07:35 PM
WHAT! No Nobbie's.::)

Geezz Frank00 you are human after all!:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Cheer's Payney!

Adamy
11-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Geez Frank... you REALLY know how to hurt a guy!!!;D

Great going!

Adam

Franco
12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Frank tell us more about those Egrell outfit's and the reels / line class you fish on em??

lumox
12-03-2007, 07:28 AM
great fish what a work out.

Frank OO
12-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Frank tell us more about those Egrell outfit's and the reels / line class you fish on em??

Hi Franco,

Until recently I had never heard of Egrell and I had a selection of Loomis rods. I decided to try one of the S10 rods and loved everything about them.

The first thing was the grips. They are specifically made to fit your hand while the Loomis feels like a second rate piece of old cork.

Secondly was the feel. The rod was really light and extre,mely sensitive. You can feel every touch. It is light on the tip and very strong in the but.

Te last and most important thing was the rod's ability to cast. Using the same reel, line and jig weight I could cast an extra 20 meters. When I am fishing in 60 meters it means the difference between catching fish and not.

I have since bought another three Egrells. "Big Bertha" is my name for a very much heavier version of the S10. and some short stroke trolling rods.

I am using 30 Lbs Sensor braid. The colour helps me to know when I am near the bottom.

1 oz TT Jig Heads and 5" Nuclear Chicken or Chartruse Soft Plastics.

Have a look at this address. http://www.egrell.com.au/.

Come on Up some time mate. I reckon I need a doctor in case of Heart attack when I am catching those AJs.

Frank OO

finga
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Interesting you should say about the grips Uncle Frank.
As I type I'm all dusty from carving a butt to 'fit' my hands to be more comfortable and to give better 'feel' from bites and for casting.
It looks like a bit of wonky old twisted driftwood but the way it fits into both hands must be an advantage.
Have you got any pictures of your rod??

Frank OO
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi Finga,

I know that Eric Grell Places all his rough Cork grips on the lathe and when he has finished shaping them he fills them to ensure that the grips are silky smooth. There is a lot more work that goes into each butt and foregrip section.

Eric if you are on line you may wish to add a bit more.

Have a look at the top right hand photo and you will see a very well used grip.

Frank OO

The BeaR
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi FrankOO....
Those are some really awesome fish.:o You and Tammy are really cleaning up. Congratulations.
Really glad to hear the rods are doing you well. Your new one will be ready soon.

Will help you out with the grip explanation......To start, they are not the easiest to make. There is quite a few processes to get it right and everything has to be put together in a specific order to get the correct shape. I have taken an extract from our brochure to help explain why we do the grips in this way:
Full Contact Cork Grips: This allows the angler to get the feedback required to the most sensitive area of the hand which is the heel of the palm not the fingertips as people may think. Fingertips become calloused and rough making them far less sensitive than the softer, more sensitive areas such as the outer edges of the palm. Therefore the need for a full contact cork grip was shaped and ergonomically designed to accommodate this need. The positioning of the hand while using puts the hand into a natural shape which minimizes fatigue, allowing the angler to comfortably cast for longer periods of time.

Fish Well-Fish Egrell
Eric&Deb.....

http://www.egrell.com.au

QuintrexII
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Frank,

I tip my hat to you.

Your stories are always a great read and the best thing is that you share your knowledge.

Always look forward to your reports.

P.s. the photos are awesome too !

Frank OO
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Thank you Quintrex,

The first boat I ever went fishing in was a 13' quintrex.

I am glad you enjoy the posts. I am very keen to learn as much as possible about fishing so that is why I also share what knowledge I have.

I also respond to all the PMs I get and that number is definitely on the increase.

I will be very keen to learn about 1770 as we are going up on the 23rd March.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Frank OO

-spiro-
12-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Frank and Tammy--well done.
Frank show me the Snapper and Pearlies on the next trip

Pistol_P
12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Awesome AJ's Frank....great photos as well.

Frank OO
12-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Spiro,

I honestly thought you would have seen enough.

I have noticed that the average size has grown in summer from 5-6 kg to 8 - 10 kg. Maybe because I am fishing in deeper water.

I will post up the Snapper next time.

Frank OO

-spiro-
12-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Frank where you out Wide Coloundra on Sunday? We fished in around 60-75m and only pulled small squire and pearlies. I might have to take Verts out for a trip with his plastic's and see if he could pull some big fella's. Paul must be chomping at the bit for another trip too i'd say after seeing this report...lol
Cheers Chris

outsiderskip
13-03-2007, 04:38 AM
frank
i love my bananas
so can i have a trip with you

pete

Frank OO
13-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Spiro,

I could tell you exactly where to go but that would take all the fun out of trying to find the fish. Paul is acting like he doesn't care but I know he is really Peed off.

Hi Pete, You are always welcome but the list is growing. My PMs space is full.

OK here it is.

I am east of CAloundra and south of Barwon Banks. Intersect the points and there you have it.

Look for any bump on the ocean floor with bait.

How easy is that. Throw the bait away and use Soft plastics and knife Jigs.

Go to Sundown Marine and ask Jason for a list of Plastics.

Frank OO

Frank OO

-spiro-
13-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Thats a big area but i think i know that bump your talking about..lmfao Well done. See you there next weekend. I'll be one bump over from you..lol

Big_Ren
13-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey Chris

When you're out there, turn off the engine, turn off your radio, turn off your music, turn off your live well. Now listen very closely with an ear to the wind....you may not see Frankie, but you will be able to hear his singing from 10 nautical miles away;D ;D Follow the sound of his dulcet tones, until you stumble on the big CC Outsider 685, where you will more than likely see the big fella bent over the gunnel locked in hand to hand combat with a large "Aching Jointus", the scientific name for AJs:o ;D He will still be singin'....what's that tune again Frank?

Yes, I am jealous I could not be with Frank last weekend Chris but I am not showing it or revealing it publicly::) .....just don't tell anyone....must be time for a rum or two eh mate?

Cheers
Paul

Franco
13-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Frank thanks for the info on those outfits mate.

Thanks for the invite my friend! Once my research finishes this or early next year i'll take you up on it. Bloody hell this is a hard year to get out fishing for me can't wait till its over ... my bloody electric has been down for the count for 2 months and I haven't even had a chance to fix it or go for a fish!

Now that I'm deep in debt after engagement ring, house, moving, soon to be wedding, and study i might as well put a nail in the coffin and get meself an offshore rig too!! Ha.

Keep putting those posts up they keep the rest of us going!!

-spiro-
13-03-2007, 11:45 PM
We still have to line up that Barwons trip Paul. Maybe you can line up the rubbers GURUE?

Big_Ren
15-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Most definitely Chris.....I am all up for a Barwons trip......let the water cool a little bit then chase a few knobs on placcies.

Cheers
Paul

wak69
18-03-2007, 08:33 AM
just awsome, great pic's Frank oo. Do you need a deckie for your next trip!!!!!!!! Just kidding. well done. cheers sam.

Frank OO
18-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Sam,

Pretty soon everyone will be complaining about sore arms. I will be looking for real men then.

Frank OO