PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Catch

vb4me
10-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Just wondering what peoples strangest catches might be. I have caught a seagull on a lure. That was a battle and a half:D. But the strangest would probably be a mobile phone in the Nerang River,and I actually thought I had a fish on:-[. It was one of those old brick mobiles.

Poodroo
10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Well I too caught a seabird at Fraser. Cast out the pilchard and the bird swoops to get it (as they do) and get it he did. Ganged hooks well set in and off it flew in the opposite direction until the line entangled it it went spiraling out of control like a shot down warplane into the ocean. "Now what?" I thought. Only option was to wind in this bird through the angry surf conditions amongst the feeding sharks which could be seen as the waves curled over with the sun behind it and somehow I got this bird still alive but somewhat bedraggled and p*#sed off onto dry land again. Scalem was there to help me untangle it with much squarking and biting and once we freed it from the line and unhooked it we set the bird off and watched it take to the air once again. "All free at last" we thought. WRONG, out of nowhere this eagle swooped down on the poor unlucky bird knocking some feathers flying but it didn't connect too well and gained some height for a second attempt. I honestly thought this unlucky seabird's numbers were all up and the last I saw of it was it flying for dear life as the eagle took a few more swoops at it. I'd like to think it made it but that eagle was very persistent. :-/ I was there for a fishing competition and the bird catch won me a $100 voucher to spend at Captain Blighs for the most unusual catch. Lol Got a pair of waders and a spray jacket. ;D

Poodroo

Tangles
10-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Got to say, i cant beat that, ive only ever got a seagull.. but does knocking a 5 iron onto a 3 par count? knocked it almost out of bounds ( thick rough) .. a bird swooped down, picked up the ball and flew past the pin and dropped it,, it rolled to about a foot away from the pin and i got a birdie?...
cheers
Mike

DICER
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
What did you do with battery - I guess it were a Nickel/Cadmium?

vb4me
10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I believe in catch and release;D. No I took it home with me and dropped it into a mobile phone shop after work one day. They disposed of it.Hopefully responsibly:)

jackson4300
11-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Well i found this odd, but catching a true yellow fin bream, legal size, at deep tempest. Very odd, but tasted nice :D
And all the other usuals, anchor ropes, props, to many god damn birds, try to cast a float bait, floats alrite, about 5m above the water in the birds mouth.....

Grand_Marlin
11-03-2007, 06:32 AM
I was fishing for Salmon by casting lures.

It was a very foggy day and you couldn't see where the lure was landing.

I hooked into something very solid that started to play up with a lot of head shaking etc...

Then the strange thing happened .... as my catch was taking a long hard run to the left, it took to the air :-/ ;D

When it was landed some 20 minutes later, I had lassooed an Albatross netly around the neck ;D ;D

Perfectly !! The lure went around his neck once and the treble hooked back over the line.

The bird was fine .... really pi$$ed off, but fine ;D ;D

You dont realise how big they are 'till you have them at the side of the boat in a bad mood :o

Cheers

Pete

Poodroo
11-03-2007, 06:59 AM
I was fishing for Salmon by casting lures.

It was a very foggy day and you couldn't see where the lure was landing.

I hooked into something very solid that started to play up with a lot of head shaking etc...

Then the strange thing happened .... as my catch was taking a long hard run to the left, it took to the air :-/ ;D

When it was landed some 20 minutes later, I had lassooed an Albatross netly around the neck ;D ;D

Perfectly !! The lure went around his neck once and the treble hooked back over the line.

The bird was fine .... really pi$$ed off, but fine ;D ;D

You dont realise how big they are 'till you have them at the side of the boat in a bad mood :o

Cheers

Pete

With those lassooing skills of yours Pete we can safely call you a cowboy.;D That was a funny little story. Very funny.

Poodroo

Daisy
11-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Fishing for Queenies one morning we were casting poppers when I had a crashing strike and hooked up , the trouble was the srike took place about a meter or so behind the lure. As the fish took to the air after its run I could the see the popper was not in the fishes gob and started seriously thinking of giving up the grog (first time for everything). AFter a more than reasonable battle it slid into veiwand all became apparent, the lures rear treble had gone through the eye of a swivel on a previously snapped off rig :o . What are the odds. The fish was as amazed as I, I reckon as I slipped it back into the water. Oh and I gained another popper.;D

Mrs Ronnie H
12-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I always float a pilly when drifting around-- you never know. When the rod took off i thought I had something great. I put my skills to work that day---- catch and release. After about 45 minutes of removing 4 hooks from the Cormarant or Shag as they are better known we put it over the side of the boat and watched it take to the air. Special thanks must go to brother who after a few scratches and pecks managed to keep hold of it so we could remove the hooks and let it go. Apart from that a work boot would have to be the strangest thing.!!!!!!

Ronnie

Noelm
12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Strangest catch for me was a 10 litre tin of Anti Fouling paint in Jervis Bay, still sealed and as good as new, hooked by the handle ,I guess the Navy "lost" it or something

Chezzy13
12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Mmmmmmm My strangest catch would have to be my Hubby...LOL.. :P :D
Naaaa ;D
My catches are not real strange, trying to think??? :-/.

Ryan.S
12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Similar to daisy, fishing of the beach one day at Double Island Point, threw out a pippie and got a beauty of a bream. Pullud it in and realised my hook had gone through the eye of a broken lines swivel. Couldn't believe it! Also in the same week, cast out another pippie and upon retrival found a closed pippie, shell and all, on the hook. Did it eat the other one? Strange
Ryan

STUIE63
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
A cat on a gold bomber lure each treble was in a different paw . Not a very happy cat and $100.00 vet bill
Stuie

woppa
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Don't know if it counts, but last weekend prawning I caught a large LIVE bullet & a mobile phone in the castnet. The phone I laughed at, the bullet..............?

Freeeedom
12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
While fishing off the Hornibrook Highway a few years ago, using yabbies for summer whiting, I hooked and eventually landed (after a long fight) a $5 note, which I've still got, mounted on the wall
Cheers Freeeedom

charlie bouy
12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
1.5 kg Squire at the Indooroopilly reach of the brisbane river... things are finally cleaning up

samson
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Casting lures for flathead with a Manns Stretch 5 caught a Manns Stretch 10 and also while out trolling for pelagics on one of the local bommies got a hook up and found my lure snagged to 100 meters of line which was connected to a 15kg wahoo happily swimming around someone must have busted off earlier.

cdg81
12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
was casting poppers for jungle perch in the top reaches of the russell river near mt bartle frere last may, i caught a kingfisher, got it to the bank and had got him in the corner of the mouth, got him off without injury and it flew to a branch bout 25 feet away, very next cast the same little bird had another swipe at the lure, a lazy strike at that. the line had wrapped round its wing, could not believe my eyes.:o after a second successfull release, the little bird with a big appatite cruised, didnt trouble us again.;D

cdg81
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
was casting poppers for jungle perch in the top reaches of the russell river near mt bartle frere last may, i caught a kingfisher, got it to the bank and had got him in the corner of the mouth, got him off without injury and it flew to a branch bout 25 feet away, very next cast the same little bird had another swipe at the lure, a lazy strike at that. the line had wrapped round its wing, could not believe my eyes. after a second successfull release, the little bird with a big appatite cruised, didnt trouble us again.

marty+jojo
12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I was trolling for jacks one day and my mate says I'm on and continues to pull in a shag. Got it on a bannana coloured bomber. Another mate got a seahawk on a hardbody.

zigfreed
12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
I caught my ol fathiful blue heeler once swinging a handline from the shore. Can't say he was too impressed when he realised there was a 3/0 hook amongst all that bait.

I think it hurt me more than him getting the hook out from his cheek.

god bless his soul...................
(no it wasnt the cause)

zig

Chezzy13
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I caught my ol fathiful blue heeler once swinging a handline from the shore. Can't say he was too impressed when he realised there was a 3/0 hook amongst all that bait.

I think it hurt me more than him getting the hook out from his cheek.

god bless his soul...................
(no it wasnt the cause)

zig

AWWWWWWWWW..Poor sod, they are tough ol beggers though, the bluey..Love them...:)

cammac
12-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Sounds like Kingfishers are pretty tough too!::) Poor little bugger!:(

shin25
12-03-2007, 09:28 PM
my strangest catch was well cant decide

when fly fishing in vic i hooked a small bat in the wing while casting out now that was a weird fight when your lines 15 20 feet in the air even pulled drag
the other was a platypus that took a moth imatation fly thoght i had 10lbs trout on took mnearly 10 mins to figure out wasnt a trout and further 15 to land didnt want to hurt it so took it reel easy strong little buggers though

both were released as un harmed as possible

ffejsmada
14-03-2007, 04:38 PM
My strangest catch was actually myself.
It was night time we were fishing for squire using a paternoster rig with 5/0 Tarpon hooks. My brother and I got tangled, whilst undoing the tangle, somehow the 5/0 went straight up my nose!!
As the squire were on, we cut the line and kept fishing.
It didn't bleed or hurt at all. Hospital staff were killing themselves laughing, mind you it did look pretty funny with a 5/o hanging out my nose!

Cheers.

zealot
15-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Three Fishery Inspectors
Was Fishing In Pine River Near The First Island Past Dohles Rocks When I Hooked An Idiot Tern, Just As I Was About To Reel In The Bait Thieving Winged Weapon.out From Behind The Island Comes The Qld Fisheriers Rubber Ducky Commando Squad . Perfect Timing? , One Swift Pull On The Line And One Highly Excited Tern Crash Dives Straight Into The Fisheriers Beautiful Executed Highly Engineered Assult Raid On Said Fisho . The Next Three Minutes Will Last Me A Life Time As Bird & Rubber Ducky Melted Into One . Wont Repeat What Was Said As I Enquired If I Could Have My Hook Back?.