PDA

View Full Version : Drying lathe +

blaze
10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
How do you support the tip end of a rod when in a drying lathe so the whole rod can be coated in one go.
Where is the best place to get blanks and other bits like runners, coatings etc.
Plenty more question to come
cheers
blaze
ps
just started building a set of wheels to use for threading and trying to incorperate the drying lathe so its all in one unit so when I get crabby I need to only throw one piece.

roz
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know about fishing suppliers down your way Blaze.

MO tackle up this way is very popular, they have the works, blanks and all necessary attachments at good prices + freight. They are on line.

I've just received my first order from the USA, which happened to be thread and guides.

Did you consider the Agnes idea?

r.

blaze
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Roz
You stir me enough for bringing the little bit of gear up that I do now, just image the stirring I would get if I brought a rod that I couldnt use. Na, in all seriusness my paitance wouldnt last that long, be nice to bring the completed works up for apraisal though. Might have to check out MO tackle because I looked around tassie a few years ago and there dosnt seem to be much about.
Finished the first version of a lathe with just wheels for thread work and a rotiserie motor for drying, can see some mods that are needed already, already on the second thread tensioner. Will post some pics tommorow.
cheers
blaze

woolly_bugger
10-03-2007, 07:10 PM
G'day Blaze,good to see another tas fisherman venturing into the world of rod building.Be warned though.It's highly addictive!!!If you PM me I'll give you contact details for a local custom builder who has access to a lot material as well as being extremely generous with his knowledge,
Ian

blaze
10-03-2007, 08:26 PM
just some pics of my first attempt at a lathe

rob tranter
14-03-2007, 07:36 PM
just some pics of my first attempt at a lathe

Blaze,
Is that a couple of pairs of your bifocals, you've used as wheels?
Certainly looks like it?;D
Go for it mate
Rob8-)

blaze
14-03-2007, 10:58 PM
na rob, couple of $2.00 per wheel from mitre 5 (its only half a store)

finga
15-03-2007, 08:05 AM
What did you use for a tensioner matey??
Is that the gismo in the 3rd picture??

tangles_48
15-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Blaze,
While surfing the net for rod building components I came across this mob in South Australia. /www.therodworks.com.au - don't know how good they are but their prices seem to be very competitive. If any other rod builders have used them would appreciate a review on their service.

blaze
15-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Finga
Brought a rotissery kit and included is the piece ya poke into the meat, well thats designed to go over the square shaft which had a 1/4 unc thread on it. So then it was just a matter of finding a couple of washers and a spring. It works well because the thread can be directed over the nice smooth meat spikes to the left or right and your left with a couple of spikes to sit a couple of rolls of thread on. So I have the other meat spike left to do something with.
cheers
blaze
ps
love ya handles

blaze
15-03-2007, 08:39 AM
yes third picture, but modified 3 times since that pic

Tezza@Tannum
15-03-2007, 12:49 PM
G'day there Blaze
Looks

Tezza@Tannum
15-03-2007, 12:51 PM
G'day there Blaze,
Looks just like a bought one.
Tezza

finga
15-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi Finga
love ya handles

You might have to come up for a while longer next time and do some rod building.
Or do I have to hide the tools in TOL's boot so he can take them up to Agnes for you to fill in some wet days??
;D

How would a tensioner be off an industrial sewing machine?? I think there's a couple down in the dungeon.

blaze
15-03-2007, 09:39 PM
the sowing machine tension would be a good thing, only problem being is I through the old one out and the darling wasnt happy when I said I wanted to borrow the tensioner off her new machine for an experement.
cheers
blaze

finga
16-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I'll have sortie and see what I can find.
If I find one of them I could bung it in the post if you like.
It's good your doing this mate. You do all the R&D and we can copy after all the bugs have been ironed out :D

Tassie has Aussie post don't they?? ;)

sid_fishes
16-03-2007, 06:25 PM
its a female tool . do you like it when they play with yours[ and not that ,thats in your pants ok]

finga
16-03-2007, 08:12 PM
its a female tool . do you like it when they play with yours[ and not that ,thats in your pants ok]
In a word Ian...NO!!! >:(
That's why she has her own screwdrivers and hammer.
I have my own Singer as well...It has a 2hp electric motor on it...Does that make me a big (ugly) shiela ;D ;D