PDA

View Full Version : opinions please

finga
10-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Gidday all,
A thread a little while ago about wooden butts got me thinking about making a butt with as much of it made by me as possible.
How would this style of butt be?? But instead of having a round butt (normal style of butt) below the winch fitting I make it like a small axe handle. (also shown in the next piccy)
This would make the postition of the wrist to be in a more natural state instead of been bent all day flicking sp's or lures.
This all come about when I come across a bit of saddlewood with a bend in it. I put in in my broken down buggered old hands and the imagination went berzerk.
I was even thinking about making the hood and lockring out of wood as well. But these would be made out some really old Aussie hard wood I have.
What do you think??

Owen
10-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I think there are some beautiful wood handles around. I've only seen bent handles on fly rods, but I'm sure it's been done before.

There's a mob called gondwana rods that makes some ripper handles in Aussie timbers.
Can't find the web site though.

or for a yankee site, try

http://classiccustomwood.com/Handles.htm

Not sure on the ergonomics theory. It would certainly be better at rest.
When casting & flicking the lure in retrieve you're going to use the full extent of your wrist motion anyway.
But at the end of the day, if it makes it 5% more comfortable to use, that's another 150 or more casts before you're too sore & have to go home ;D

finga
10-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Not sure on the ergonomics theory. It would certainly be better at rest.
When casting & flicking the lure in retrieve you're going to use the full extent of your wrist motion anyway.
But at the end of the day, if it makes it 5% more comfortable to use, that's another 150 or more casts before you're too sore & have to go home ;D
That was my theory Owen.
I only have about 5-10% maximum movement to what is normal in my wrist now so any help is a huge help.
I think I'll go down and make a proto-type :D

finga
10-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Here's one I whipped up this morning.
A whole hour and a half.
Because my wrists are also restricted in both directions I put a bit of a kink in along the length of the butt as well.
This only a proto-type and is sitting not quite home according to the old reel seat I had lying about.
My thumb sits nicely in the 'dint' near the spikey bit and overall seems fairly cumphy.The next one will have more of a bend in it. More like 20-30 degrees not about 10-15 degrees that this one is.

Owen
10-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Finga,
Are you going to have the blank go up into the handle?
Also wondering how much leverage this kind of handle would have. On a big fish you'd have to use the front handle I suppose.

I reckon you could have some outstanding variations of colour and even use inlays of all sorts.

finga
10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Finga,
Are you going to have the blank go up into the handle?
Also wondering how much leverage this kind of handle would have. On a big fish you'd have to use the front handle I suppose.

I reckon you could have some outstanding variations of colour and even use inlays of all sorts.
Yep, just have to get a blank size to drill the hole.
Leverage is OK as I always use a short butt anyways. My guts get in the way otherwise ::) .
This one is only meant for a smallish spin stick. Up to say 4kg.

Variations in colour??...I have some peach wood down stairs. I can't wait to see the colours in it. They can range from deep red to white in the same log.
Then I can try mango. I could get the whole fruit salad going. ;D
I also have some zebra wood. It's colours are black and a light tan.
The 3rd butt from the left in the pictures above is zebra.

Inlays?? Gees don't even let the cook hear you suggest that. Apparently I spend too much time in the workshop now...
But how about a brass inlay instead of timber?? Or a redwood finga in the butt??
Next trick is too experiment on wooden reel seats..

Owen
10-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Inlays?? Gees don't even let the cook hear you suggest that. Apparently I spend too much time in the workshop now...
But how about a brass inlay instead of timber?? Or a redwood finga in the butt??

Or what about that opal ring she never wears? ::)

We have a jambai (bongo) drum that was hand made for us by a guy in Mullumbimby from a piece of camphor laurel.
It was stained using black boy plant. The colours are great.
Not sure how it would lend itself to rod handles, but it's pretty easy to come by.

finga
10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Well Owen you've got me all keen as mustard.
Went back downstairs and got a chunk of timber and started work.
I get really sore really quick holding a rod so I thought I'd make a butt to suit my cactus old hands.
Here's what I ended up with.
First picture is nearside, then offside then bottom then top. The last is a before shot :)
I cannot finish the butt end yet as I have to go and buy a rod blank and reel seat now and match it all up. When it's finished it'll be all spiffy and smooth and shaped.
There's a few whack of wood to come off the left hand side to finish the butt end (about where the darker timber is) and the blank is going to go out from the right hand side (where it's nice and straight).
The blank should theoretically extend down through the butt to about the big bend.
There's enough length to get my foregrip done as well and keep the same patterns in the timber.
This might be the start of my project rod for the Rod Building M&G :)
I'm fairly impressed how nice and comfortable the thing feels sitting in my hand. :D
Cheers Scott

PS the cook says thanks very much giving me stupid ideas.
Looks like the garden is going to have to wait another 6 months ;D

finga
13-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I've done some more on the proto-type butt.
It seems comfortable in either hand and in any postion I can think on how you can hold a rod and reel.
Hitting the line release trigger is easy and thumbing the spool is easy with either hand.
Weight comes in at 58gm's.
The reel seat is an old crappy on I had lying about.
Any opinions??
Cheers Scott

sid_fishes
13-03-2007, 06:24 PM
scott a while back i did see a trigger grip[ if thats what you call it] it was supposed to end being a natural extension of your hand/arm. it was on a baitcaster and do you think i can find it now. i think daiwa used to have them[ dont quote me] so what is one going to cost

Stuart
13-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Scott

Looking very good mate and at 58 grams who could tell. No one can pick at this because you have made this grip for your self. I aslo told you Scott that people will want these grips hence Sid already wanting one. Great work mate, let us all know how it casts.

Stu

finga
13-03-2007, 06:55 PM
scott a while back i did see a trigger grip[ if thats what you call it] it was supposed to end being a natural extension of your hand/arm. it was on a baitcaster and do you think i can find it now. i think daiwa used to have them[ dont quote me] so what is one going to cost

Cost....nothing at all.
Come to my house and make your bloody own ;D
Seriously Ian see what you reckon at the RB week-end or come and have a gander before and we can roughly make one in about 2 hrs.
I took it around to a mates place today to see if it would fit different sized hands and looks like it does. His daughter a southpaw and she likes it too.
Now to turn it into a rod....

finga
13-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Scott

Looking very good mate and at 58 grams who could tell. No one can pick at this because you have made this grip for your self. I aslo told you Scott that people will want these grips hence Sid already wanting one. Great work mate, let us all know how it casts.

Stu
I was wondering if there was anything obviously wrong with it that the experienced rod builders could see or notice from the word go and save me time bunging it on a rod.
I reckon it's going to cast like a ripper. It fits so snug into the right hand and locks into your grip with no sideways twist or roll.
I loaded the butt yesterday and put about 15kg pull from the top near the reel seat. No cracking noises yet :D
I better put a rod on it now...
PS thanks for the confidence building guys :)

2DKnBJ
13-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Looks like a fine piece of work Scott.
I will have to have a look at them at the RB W/end.

Cheers Dazza

Hardb8
14-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi finga,
Ya bloody quick m8.I haven't even got my hunk of wood yet.LOL.What you've made looks pretty impresive.I think the most important thing is ergonomics.Especially with regards to it's owner...You...if it fits your hand nicely,ya gotta be happy.

I'm no expert builder,But with regards to weight.I find it good to have a little extra in the butt section,As it counters the top section of the rod.Although the total weight of the rod will increase,A well balanced rod will feel lighter in the hand than a rod of less overall weight,That is balanced poorly.

I'll try and dig up the picture of the reelseat that gave me the idea of carving my own from wood.My idea will have a little twist from the norm.

I wish I was as quick as you.:)

dogsbody
14-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Gday Scott thats a mighty fine grip you've made there. What sort of tools you got to craft such a willow grip?

Dave.

finga
15-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi finga,
I'll try and dig up the picture of the reelseat that gave me the idea of carving my own from wood.My idea will have a little twist from the norm.

:)
Excellent. I'm not a fan of normality. ;D
Can't wait for the pictures :)

finga
15-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Gday Scott thats a mighty fine grip you've made there. What sort of tools you got to craft such a willow grip?

Dave.
Mate, under the house is like an Aladdin's cave for tools and crap.
But when-ever anybody has something broken I can go down and fix it with the 'useless crap' (that's the cook's quote or name for it) from under the house.

For this project I used a couple of different lathes, a bandsaw, an angle grinder with a flapper wheel on it and some sandpaper and the most important tools...my broken down cactus hands and imagination.
It took about 2 hours for the rough shape. Mostly on the bandsaw taking slithers off and then the grinder roughly smoothing until the bugger fitted and felt comfortable. And then about another 3 for making the forgrip, final fitting, finishing and getting a hole up the guts for the blank.
After this one it should be a bit quicker as I kinda know what's the go now.

Cheers Scott :)

dogsbody
15-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Mate, under the house is like an Aladdin's cave for tools and crap.
Scott :)

Scott sounds like my kind of place. You gotta have crap otherwise you can't fix or build nothing. As long as you got room for the old holden all is good.

Dave.

finga
15-03-2007, 08:32 PM
As long as you got room for the old holden all is good.

Dave.
;D ;D
Mate, I haven't enough room here to store the poor old Kingswood but I have another house to store it and some more crap in. :D

Hardb8
16-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi finga,
I found it.But it's small,I've seen quite a few reelseats made from wood,And I think the first one I seen was carved by (Paul Kneller) Not sure if that was the correct spelling?Excuse me if ya reading Paul.

But the added pic is the one that I looked at and thought :- I gots ta make me one of those.After making it in my head over and over in my lunch breaks,I came up with a few twists.

I have come up with what I think is a unique design.Mainly cosmetic,But still practical,Very distinctive,And most importantly,Still effective.Nothing ground breaking design wise.More along the lines of being catchy(Pardon the pun).I think this would set these rods apart form the norm.And I would like to one day,Run through this idea with an experienced builder.And maybe in conjunction with a builder,As my limited experience would not meet the high standard I would like.Come up with my own signature series of rods.LOL.Nothing serious production wise.Just for myself and a couple of mates.But first and foremost,Serious fishing tools they would most certainly be.As fish is what we love to do.8-)

finga
17-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Beauty hardb8.
It's got to be easier and more accurate casting if the butt is comfortable.
I'm going to try and make a reel seat like that. Firstly with a bought (plastic) seat and then try and make the whole reel seat out of wood including the threads and collets.
Lucky I have plenty of time on my hands ;)

Hardb8
17-03-2007, 09:23 AM
No worries m8.Looking foward to seeing what ya come up with.Make sure ya keep us posted on ya progress.

Wood thread and collets....This could turn out to be a very special chunk of wood.

Oh,Good luck with ya ongoing battle against the cook.

Can't live with em....Would be real skinny without em....LOL.

blaze
17-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Finga
you have a metal lathe dont you, just bung your bit of timber in that, shape up a took to give you a nice square thread, then find your coursest TPI and bob ya uncle. It would be a really nice grip and seat if the reel seat was an extension of the grip. Can just see it now, timber handle continueing on into a threaded reel seat with contrasting nuts of huon pine and stailess or ananised gold sleeves for the clamps. Another thought, what about a cantalever/over centre locking system instad of a thread. The mind boggles
cheers
blaze

finga
17-03-2007, 12:15 PM
STOP!!!
My brains on overload now :freak:
You fellas are giving me too much to think about....
Blaze, I have some special taps (3/4X6tpi) for timber so the thread isn't a hassle.
I'd probably veneer some nice timbers together like ply for the 'nuts' and 'clamps' just for the strength instead of solid timber.
I have one of those cantilever reel seats under the house. Might have a gander..
I've just been and spent way too much money at the blank man (Thanks Ian ;D ) and the cook's gunna kill me again :dizzy: (That's if she finds out so sshhhh). But Oh well if she does. It was nice while it lasted.

If I survive today I'm home and hosed for a while at least because the runners etc I can hide ;D

Anyways I'd better go and do the lawn and washing and anything else I can think of to get some browny points
Cheers Scott :)

Poodroo
17-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Scott they look better than a bought one mate. Be sure to bring a finished sample to the RBW. ;)

Poodroo

finga
19-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Scott they look better than a bought one mate. Be sure to bring a finished sample to the RBW. ;)

Poodroo
Samples...mate, I've made 3 since then all getting a better feel.
The dogs using one for a chew toy. ::)
By the RB week-end I'll have them down to a fine art. ;D
Anybody need any wood shavings??? I have a heap to get rid of for some reason.
I'll have the blank now so I'll have some loose fit pictures soon.
What are a good runner to go with a spin rod??
I'm not afraid to spend a bit on them so opinions please.
I spent enough on the blank so I can't scrimp on the rest of the rod can I ::)
I had a gander at the Ilusions from Pacific bay. Any thoughts??
http://www.fishpacbay.com/products/guides-tops/casting-spinning-guides.html
Or do I just stick with Fugi guides??
Cheers and ta

finga
20-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Well I've done some more....
The rod so far comes in at less then 200gms.
I've beefed the butt up a fair bit just so it does not split when (not if) it is dropped butt first on the ground.
Have to put a finish on the wooden bits now but not sure what to put on them.
Any suggestions??
I was thinking about filling the grain and about 4 or 5 coats of clear acrylic lacquer.
Suprisingly enough something that's extremely smooth can be very grippy as well. That is if it's not wet.

sid_fishes
20-03-2007, 02:46 PM
mate i have to say that your work is outstanding and can only hope mine looks as good.what kind of blank is it to be set in cheers ian oh and dont blame me for spending all your husband tax on blanks i just gave you and idea to work with

Owen
20-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Scott,
Pop down to your local gun store and have a look at some stuff called tru-oil.
You can make it from matte to high gloss depending on how many coats you put on.
As an oil finish, it impregnates the timber, so it won't scratch off like a laquer.
Give Potters Firearms a ring at Underwood. Dunno if Geoff & Dorothy still run it or their son. Been year since I've seen them & he wasn't a spring chicken then.

cheers,
Owen

finga
20-03-2007, 03:00 PM
mate i have to say that your work is outstanding and can only hope mine looks as good.what kind of blank is it to be set in cheers ian oh and dont blame me for spending all your husband tax on blanks i just gave you and idea to work with
It's a Hasting's Pioneer series P-UR602 ie 6' 3-4kg fast action.
Your's will be better matey ;)

finga
20-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Scott,
Pop down to your local gun store and have a look at some stuff called tru-oil.
You can make it from matte to high gloss depending on how many coats you put on.
As an oil finish, it impregnates the timber, so it won't scratch off like a laquer.
Give Potters Firearms a ring at Underwood. Dunno if Geoff & Dorothy still run it or their son. Been year since I've seen them & he wasn't a spring chicken then.

cheers,
Owen
Good idea Owen. :D
Hard burnish the thing and when it gets scratched just do it again. ;D
Thanks for that :)

Lucky_Phill
20-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Just caught up with this thread Scott. By jingoes, by crikey, they come up alright.

I was thinking about coating my ( thank you again ), butt in Sikkens Deck Oil. I use it on Decks, so I suppose it should be tuff enough for the boat / kayak usage. ::) ::)

I haven't got the guides on my rod yet, but I used Fugi BLVLG series. that rod is the 6ft Synder Glas 3 - 4 kg bass rod.

Will catch up soon.

Phill

sid_fishes
21-03-2007, 06:58 PM
that oil should put a nice shine on your butt[ not that i will want to look at it,,, just keep it in ya stubbies mate] cheers ian

finga
22-03-2007, 06:22 AM
that oil should put a nice shine on your butt[ not that i will want to look at it,,, just keep it in ya stubbies mate] cheers ian
Ian, maaateee. They don't make stubbies anymore....end of an era :'(
I wear tradey's King-Gee's (more pockets and they don't fall off ;D )but a farmer mate is devastated over no more stubbies. His wife has to go to every Vinnies Vogue she comes across to get some. Bit hard though because he's a biggin' (117cm).

PS we'll leave the shiney butt bits there eh. Just plain scarey ::)
I've started on your butt now. I think the timber I found in the dungeon is teak. :)

sid_fishes
22-03-2007, 06:19 PM
i must try and get up there this weekend, but im not so sure it will happeni,m just so busy at the moment, so when is the m and g at the tinnie show. i think i might just say to hell with it. scott can i have an adress and a ph nu so i can make a time that suits cheers ian teak damn i,m looking forward to se this

roz
24-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Geeze Scott,

I am really sorry I didn't get to see this thread sooner, they look amazing, I, along with a lot of other people would love to build a rod with one of those included in the butt section.

I hope you are going to bring some along to the RBW, and perhaps just leave them 'lying around'...lol.

There is a USA rod building site called rodbuilding.org plus Dave Boyle's site visualwrap. you can compare ideas.

Really well done Scott!! I think you have a good talent there.

Roz.

roz
24-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Samples...mate, I've made 3 since then all getting a better feel.
The dogs using one for a chew toy. ::)
By the RB week-end I'll have them down to a fine art. ;D
Anybody need any wood shavings??? I have a heap to get rid of for some reason.
I'll have the blank now so I'll have some loose fit pictures soon.
What are a good runner to go with a spin rod??
I'm not afraid to spend a bit on them so opinions please.
I spent enough on the blank so I can't scrimp on the rest of the rod can I ::)
I had a gander at the Ilusions from Pacific bay. Any thoughts??
http://www.fishpacbay.com/products/guides-tops/casting-spinning-guides.html
Or do I just stick with Fugi guides??
Cheers and ta

I just had a thought when I read you comment on wood shavings.

I know stuff all about fish smoking, I can however make a yummy smoked fish chowder.

I do know certain types of timbers seem to achieve better flavours than others, maybe a use for those shavings perhaps?

roz.

finga
24-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Ta Roz.
Mate, I made a nancy girl one for the cook to try. (smaller that is :) )
She reckons it's great :)
I might even do a rough up so you can shape it to suit when your not doing anything at the M&G.
Can you use a 9" grinder??
The only trouble with smoking fish is I have to catch some fish first. :(

roz
26-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Ta Roz.
Mate, I made a nancy girl one for the cook to try. (smaller that is :) )
She reckons it's great :)
I might even do a rough up so you can shape it to suit when your not doing anything at the M&G.
Can you use a 9" grinder??
The only trouble with smoking fish is I have to catch some fish first. :(

Have and angle grinder but smaller that 9".... begs the question, does size matter???

roz

sid_fishes
26-03-2007, 06:53 PM
roz, no it doesn,t, i have one thats less than nine , but damn i,m handy with it

finga
27-03-2007, 06:34 AM
roz, no it doesn,t, i have one thats less than nine , but damn i,m handy with it
Sorry Ian. I beg to differ. :-/
In some cases size does matter. :D
Fortunately this case isn't one of them. ;D

I'll bring the nancy girl 4" or 5" for you if you can't handle the BIG ONE on that weekend Roz. ::)
PS Yours is ready Ian ;D
Do you want a 3" or 4" foregrip??
Do you want an oil sealer put on it??