PDA

View Full Version : runabout vs centre console

laugag
08-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Hope am not opening up another can of worms with this but am considering getting a boat round 4.6 to 5.1m mark. Was reading a mag on secondhand boats that states runabouts are inherently more seaworth than equivelent sized centre consoles because they have more protection (less than cuddy of couse)

What do people think. I realise runabouts are not as versatile as CC for fishing but if I was going to fish esturies as well as inshore reefs, would I feel more comfortable with the runabout setup??

Thanks

G:)

greyfox
09-03-2007, 05:20 AM
personal choice really. I prefer a cc (alloy) where I can stand and let my legs absorb some of the ???thump as you go into a sea offshore. You also tend to steer from closer to the stern for a softer ride. You can also fish right around the boat if need be and a bimini top of decent length gives you sun and light rain cover. I don't believe a runabout is more seaworthy - poor choice of words. Perhaps you would get less of the spray that wind can blow across the boat whilst motoring offshore. As I said - it's a personal choice.

nigelr
09-03-2007, 05:48 AM
I would prefer a runabout for bar crossing, less water would come aboard if you took a wave over the bow. Also a bit better protection from wind and spray.
CC definitely more fishing room, depends if you have to access your grounds via a bar, perhaps, and how often you intend to fish 'outside'.
Horses for courses, perhaps, if you have a wife and kids they may prefer the bit of protection offered by a runabout. CC definitely more hardcore fishing platform, all that open deck space!
Cheers.

Noelm
09-03-2007, 06:55 AM
pretty simple thing here, do you want a fishing boat? answer yes, go the centre console, do you want to get wet/cold/ blown by the wind? answer yes, go the centre console, how easy was that.as for as sea worthyness goes, the same hull in CC or runabout form, will have the same qualities, but a CC will tend to SEEM to be a softer ride (because you are usually further back in the boat)

PADDLES
09-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Adding to Noel's comments above:

Is your wife/girlfriend/partner going to be in the boat with you? answer yes, go the runabout.

Most blokes have discovered this rule :D

Noelm
09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
yep, also true, the CC is by far the best fishing boat, but has it's downfall in the family and winter stakes, so you be the judge on what you can "get away with"

banshee
09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
For what you have mentioned my choice would be between a CC or a shortish cuddy (something along the lines of a V-Sea cuddy),a runabout in this size is genneraly a bit of a compromise when heading to sea,if you do go runabout make sure you can anchor it at sea,that is it has a split windscreen so you can safely access the nose from inside the boat in less than favourable conditions.I found in a runabout (4.75 Sea Hunter) you are going to get every bit as wet as someone in a CC,to stay dry you will have to put the canopy up this intern doesn't allow you to drive the boat standing which leads to some prety heavey pounding.

Tinn
09-03-2007, 10:12 AM
If you want a pure fishing boat go the centre console if not go the runabout. Runabouts are a good family/fishing boat

Bruce_Bogtrotter
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
or maybe have an each way bet & get a centre cab, can still fish all around & still stay dry & warm in the cab, might be a bit cramped in some, but would be a compromise.
i have only ever had centre consoles & good wet weather gear, if i was to buy something with protection it would be a centre cab...

FNQCairns
09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah anything that sheds water from the front will be more seaworthy than a boatthat is largely just a hole.

IMO the CCs and cuddy have defined general purpose and do it very well, but the runabout is stuck somewhere in the middle, better suited to just mucking and tearing around every few weeks, of coarse they can still fish serious.

cheers fnq

the gecko
09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Ive got the runabout, and Im still thinking of going to CC. The big diff between the 2, is that a CC can run a bow mount electric easily, while a runabout will have difficulty getting past the windscreen to lift and drop it.

I still cant get permission from the minister for war and finance for a CC tho. Shes suggesting a bowrider like a Stacer 5.2. Hmmm......

Andrew

BilgeBoy
09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a runabout and I love it! I can get out of the sun, I can shove stuff up into the Bow cavity and it has more rear fishing area to spread out in. I recon my 4.35 has more rear space than bigger cc's.

I would agree for sure that the runabout is way better for family/girlfriend!!!

best of luck with your choice. at the end of the day...just get out there!

BilgeBoy

GAD
09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Something different how about a bow rider type of boat

Wayne_Red
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree with Bilgeboy. I have a 445 haines runabout and love it. Plenty of fishing room down the back, put stuff under the front and you get less wind on you when travelling and at rest. You can sit on an esky behind the windscreen on a crappy night at sea and get out of the wind. A dryer boat when travelling, less spay.
Personal choice though of coarse and greatly depends on the type of fishing you do.
Regards Wayne

fishingrod
10-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Everyone is talking about a runabout windscreen giving protection from water coming on board in a bar crossing. Laugag may or may not have any bars to cross.

..... but bear in mind a number of the modern day boats only have light and flimsy windscreens. I agree they will stop slosh and small waves coming on board. But if the bow was buried into a medium sized wave there is a good chance the windscreen or frame would break loose and land land in your lap. With possible pieces of sharp perspex hanging around.

I used to have a Quintrex CC, too hot in summer, too cold in winter, but a awesume fishing boat.
We sold it and got a 1/2 cabin and hated the lack of space.
I wanted a CC again.
But this time ended up with a Allison cuddy cabin and could not be happier. Im so glad i did not get a CC again. The cuddy has good space, reasonable protection and storage and a stand up canopy and helm.

It all depends on the style of fishing/boating you do.
A CC may be fine if you only get out for a quick 1-3 hour session, but if your doing 4-6hrs in summer or winter it can be very unpleasant.

laugag
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Good points 'FISHING-ROD'

I think Bars can nearly always be an issue no matter where you live

it summer it is v.hot so perhaps a bit of shade from a cuddy may be the go. My only problem with cuddys is getting at the anchor would be a P.I.T.A especially on some of the older types which would be likely in my price range.

I have tried binimis before and they make fishing life too difficult

One question I have about runabouts that someone else made previously, do they tend to punch through waves as opposed to ride over them (like CC) because the weight up the nose?

Hamish73
10-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I've been thinking of the bow rider option, with the seats removed from the front and a plyfood floor fitted instead, this would appear to offer the best of both worlds. Seats could go back in for a social day cruising. Anyone done this? I think some manufacurers offer this as an option

haggis
10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a runabout and love it . cc is more of a fishing boat but the runabout will
still get you to the fish. catching them is up to you .
cheers fae haggis

charleville
11-03-2007, 12:08 AM
The big diff between the 2, is that a CC can run a bow mount electric easily, while a runabout will have difficulty getting past the windscreen to lift and drop it.

I have a runabout and love it for all of the reasons stated in this thread. The trick to solving the gecko's problem is to get a runabout with a walkthrough windscreen. Mine (Quintrex) is very good in this regard as when up front pulling up the anchor, I can lever my knees against the front of the walkthrough structure and there is no strain on my back in piulling up the anchor.

Also, it took me a while to work this out (Duh!! :-[ ) but retrieving crabpots from the front of the boat is much easier than over the side of the boat as it is easier to position the boat right behind the float to pull it up with a boat hook and then wind in the rope to the crab pot over the anchor rope pulley on the bowsprit. The front deck then becomes a good working height spot to empty the crabpot.

I have been caught out in some pretty foul weather at night on my own in my runabout and have been pleased at having the windscreen deflect a lot of water, including green water on one night last year.

The downside of my boat is that I regret not having the canopy just a little higher so that I don't have to duck my head so much as I go back and forth from helm or bow to the stern. On the other hand, a snug canopy can keep you drier in a shower and offers less "sail" area to cross winds when you are retrieving the boat on to your trailer on your own.

Wahoo
11-03-2007, 08:45 AM
for me a C/C would be the go, a runabout would be a wast of space on a boat
a propper set up C/C you can stay out of the weather and sea spray and have enough hatches to store all your gear to stay dry, just a bit of imagination on haveing a proper set up, and have all the fishing room on a boat
buy a boat for what you will make most use for, alot of fishing go C/C......
and other things go a runabout

good luck with your choice

Daz

charleville
11-03-2007, 10:33 AM
The Gecko PM'ed me asking for some pictures of the walkthrough arrangements on my Quintrex runabout which I have sent him but I thought that they may be useful to a wider audience also to illustrate my comments in my previous message in this thread...

Click on the following URLs and they will take you to some pix that I just took...

View from inside...
http://myskitch.com/charleville/view_from_inside-20070311-093501.jpg

Front deck ... (sorry about the contrast - it is a bit glary out there this morning.)...
http://myskitch.com/charleville/skitched-20070311-095057.jpg

Front deck hatch ...
http://myskitch.com/charleville/skitched-20070311-100049.jpg

Making pulling up the anchor easy...
http://myskitch.com/charleville/skitched-20070311-095824.jpg

Windscreen supports...
http://myskitch.com/charleville/skitched-20070311-100425.jpg

Handling crab-pots...
http://myskitch.com/charleville/presentation1-20070311-101550.jpg

The boat is now five years old and is a 4.75m Quintrex BayHunter Caprice. They call them Coast Runners these days. The "Caprice" model had the extras such as the walk-through windscreen but I don't know what the equivalent current model is called.

It is also through the walkthrough bit that I alight from the boat when I beach it beside the boat ramp.

cervelo
11-03-2007, 02:38 PM
My 2 brother's and I recently rebuilt and converted an old half cabin 17'oceaneer. It is now a centre console, on a windy rough day it is very wet, good wet weather gear takes care of the discomfit. It really has paid for itself when you are lucky enough to have a big fish run you around the boat a couple of times.

We were previously limited to fishing only 2 out of the back and we can now fish 3 comfortably and 4 in a pinch.

There is no perfect boat though and you need to choose the configuration that will best suit your style of boating.

PS we have a 55' mothership to get dry and warm on.

Cheers
Glenn

STUIE63
12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Laugag
Its Like They Say Do You Want To Fish Or Go Boating If You Want To Fish Go The C/c If Not Go The Runabout As For Anchoring And Crabpots The C/c Is Easier As You Have So Much Room To Walk About. As For Storage Get A Cast Deck In C/c And Plenty Under Floor. As For Waves Coming Over The Nose I've Had No Dramas In Some Big Seas.i Would Look At Things Like Hull Shape Gunnell Height To Fix This Not A Windscreen .