PDA

View Full Version : boat carpet

castamasta
08-03-2007, 07:05 PM
hi all,preparing to give my tinny a facelift and was wondering what is the best brand of carpet to get and were to get it.have done this a couple of times and noticed the differant qaulity of carpet each time.any thoughts?..cheers,casta.

BasS_BandiT
08-03-2007, 07:26 PM
something that is easy to wash out (good deckies are hard to find hay);D

Kleyny
08-03-2007, 08:56 PM
good question theres lots of brands of marine carpet out there.
I'm also interested in the responses.

neil

dogsbody
08-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Gday casta i've used the standard marine carpet (not ribbed) in my tinnies and they are good as. My first tinnie i had for 5 years and still was good 2nd tinnie have had for 4years still no probs even cut in a pattern. i used a spray gun to apply the contact spray both carpet and ply paying attention to the edges and let dry a touch she'll be right.

Got carpet from Bias Boating.

Dave.

Blackened
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
G'day

Bought my carpet form wellington point marine, very very good stuff.

Has been in the boat aorund 5 years now and still going strong

Dave

Noelm
09-03-2007, 07:08 AM
one of the biggest dramas with carpet (in bigger boats) is that it only comes in 8 foot wide and lots of boats are a tad over this at floor level, so you have this strip to make up down each side (unless your deck is shorter than 8', then you can run it across the boat) and if the boat is left outside, it is always wet (well nearly) and tends to get a fishy smell after a few trips, but I still have it in my tinny and big boat.

PADDLES
09-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I've just replaced all the carpet in the sig. (due to the fuel tank failing and being replaced). Noel is right, the biggest roll width I found was 2m. Luckily the tank sits in the middle of the floor so i could split it and didn't have to try and do a full width run across the boat.

Autex are an aus/nz manufacturer of marine carpet that most of the local boat shops sell, have a look at their website for data sheets of their products. I just got an autex carpet called "raider" from glascraft here in brissy, I wanted red so it was $35/m and they had to order it, but grey or blue is in stock and only $30/m.

A tip for the glueing is either use a waterproof carpet glue or outdoor artificial grass glue. If you are going to use contact cement only use a super thin smear of the stuff. This will let you peel it up more easily when it needs replacing.

majed1965
09-03-2007, 09:15 AM
I've just put ribbed marine carpet in my cuddy cab. Grey and black in colour. Top quality for $49.95 a metre from Bias. They come 2 metres wide.

Noelm
09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
yep, thats what I was saying, 2 metres wide is useless (unless you have a short boat and can go across) but I thought it was 2.4 (8') so it is actually worse than I thought!

FNQCairns
09-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Paddles for the link (thumbs up).

Been waiting to blunder onto the brand and supplyer of the same carpet my boat came with as I have redesigned the floor, looks like it is Autex Raider Tornado fairly easy on the eyes but possibly a bit hooky at least it will remain all one colour.

They want $40 per M in stock ,ahh the joys of living in FNQ.

cheers fnq

dogsbody
09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
To get around the issue of 2mt width of roll my floor is three piece. It's got a rectangular hatch in centre,you can see handle in first post, and two u shaped pieces around hatch. It makes it easy to take out with the three bits and not one screw in sight and does not move at all.

Dave.

castamasta
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
thanks heaps guys,theres some helpfull advice,width wont be a prob but its not a job im looking forward to,cheers,casta.

Sniper
12-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Gav, if you don't want hook to get caught in the carpet, go for a cut pile. But if you want to hold your rods on the deck with strips of velcro then go loop. A guy I know down the goldie is doing up a few Hornets and pulling in the carpet they use in Riviera's. Said its not as expensive as what one may think. Let me know if you want me to find out the name of it.
Billyboy

P.S. Let me guess, you went fishing again this morning instead of work?

armoz
15-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Jeez Gav sorry mate,
couldn't you get the blood out of the carpet from the weekend?
I promise I'll be more careful next time.

Cheers
Scott