PDA

View Full Version : All Round Fisher Person

rob tranter
07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I have been contributing (read as commenting) to the threads on "Barra Lure", "Barra Combo's", and "Bass Lures" ie "Jackalls"

I would now like to here from members, that consider themselves to be all round Fisherpeople, that is people that fish, Fresh, (coastal & inland) Estuary and Deep sea.
You must consider yourself efficient and consistant in all areas.
Give us your methods ie bait/lure/soft plastic, for what type of fish, and what you consider the most successful for each species.

As I have stated in the Jackall thread,
Coastal Fresh.
I have had the most success on Bass with the jitterbug/bills bug type of surface lure, caught seven fish out of four trips.
Inland.
I have fowl hooked one Yellow belly on a jackall, one silver perch and caught two Murry Cod on Boomerang hard bodied lures.
Trout fishing in the New England best success with the Celta.
Estuary.
mainly bait with little success, used SP's a couple of times for about the same success rate.
Deep Sea.
I have mainly ben a bait fisho, but have had success with Kingies on the frilly looking lure, trolling.
While I have been fishing for about 40 years, I have only realy been having a go for the last five years or so.
It will be interesting to here what you have to say.
Don't forget, you have to be able to contribute to the majority of areas.
Rob8-)

NAGG
07-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Rob .... Good thread :D I always have respect for fishos that can adapt / cut the mustard in all situations .... Me personally I've fished for with reasonable success in many styles of fishing ( Fly both fresh & SWF , to Marlin , YFT ... Game , baitfishing estuary , offshore & inshore , Lurecasting , to LBG , rockfishing ) ..... Now its SPs estuary & impoundments (natives) ........ Its all good fun! & I'm an expert in none .... NAGG

logan
07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
yeh considermeself a bit of an allrounder, highly expereinced in bullsharking and hold me own at the bar.

rick k
08-03-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm more of a well rounded fishertype than an all rounder fisher type.

I am an all rounder drinking type.... must be a connection there somewhere.

More seriously I take fishing a bit seriously, but have had the pleasure of fishing with a handful of really switched on anglers who have their spots wired. Very impressive, and I'm not in their league.

I am sure there are fishers around who can transfer their skills instantly to a new environment to become instant gun fishers, but haven't met one yet.

Part of my problem is that I am too lazy to put in the hours to overcome my lack of innate ability :-)

tunaman
08-03-2007, 12:52 AM
( Comments deleted by Moderator, again. )

signed tunaman

rob tranter
08-03-2007, 07:00 AM
( quote of tunamans comments deleted by Moderator. )

signed tunaman[/quote]

Hi Tunaman,
( initial response deleted by Moderator ), just asking if many members fish all round, or prefer one or two types/styles, and also to bleed a bit more info on any and all types of fishing to help me out, as I need all the help I can get.:)
I'd say you've read most if not all my contribution/comments, and can see I'm a fare bit below average when it comes to knowledge on fishing.:-/
Rob8-)

tunaman
08-03-2007, 09:56 AM
OK sorry about that rob. I,ll answer your Question. TM like most have tried to catch fish where ever they are. If someone said to me, have you gone for trout befour and then they tell how much fun it was, I just cant help myself, I have to find out what its all about.

signed fishing mad

disorderly
08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Once new a bloke who considered himself a masterangler.
Turned out though to be a bit of a masterbaiter.....

Noelm
08-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I tend to be a bit of a 'can't help myself" type, if I am somewhere on Holidays or traveling with work ,whatever, I will always have a look at the nearest jetty/lake/river/harbour or anywhere else to see if it is 'fishy" and if I can find a way to catch anything that is there, been fishing in a little lagoony sort of thing in the Illawarra and found it to have rather larger carp in it, dragged out a 5KG specimen, been trout fishing down the Snowy (fly and lure) beach fish a lot, gamefish whenever I get a chance, regard myself as a rather good Kingfish 'expert" and caught enough really big ones to back that up, caught good jews in Rivers and Ocean, lured flathead in most rivers from eden to Bundaberg and enough Barra to learn that they are not all that great on the table, and a host of other types of fish that I have missed, so I guess I can be sort of slotted into the allrounder bracket

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Interesting topic Rob.

I have taken a different tack on this when you asked for the " all round ".

Apart from the actual fishing point of view, the All Rounder to me is the person that, makes their own rods, crafts their own lures, catches their own bait, can relay the fishing event to others, take photos of the events, fillets fish and presents that cooked fish to the family for a great nosh up. Go further in making berley, finding new territory, fish landbased or boat, fresh and salt water, fly, lure, slug, jig, plastic, livies, trolling, spearing. Throwing a cast net, baitjigging, pulling beach worms, diggin pippies and the list can go on.

Pulling down a reel and servicing it, service the motor on the boat, service the trailer. making a piece of fishing equipment that you just cannot buy in a shop.
Reading charts, understanding the rules, knowing tides, moons.

Experimenting..........................

I call them the ' Complete Angler ".

Nothing beats building your own rod, throwing your own lures from a boat you built ( buy hull, add motor, floor, electrics etc etc ) and landing a target species in a new area.

Don't get me started Rob.......... I could be here for hours.

Phill

vb4me
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I have taken a different tack on this when you asked for the " all round ".

Apart from the actual fishing point of view, the All Rounder to me is the person that, makes their own rods, crafts their own lures, catches their own bait, can relay the fishing event to others, take photos of the events, fillets fish and presents that cooked fish to the family for a great nosh up. Go further in making berley, finding new territory, fish landbased or boat, fresh and salt water, fly, lure, slug, jig, plastic, livies, trolling, spearing. Throwing a cast net, baitjigging, pulling beach worms, diggin pippies and the list can go on.

Pulling down a reel and servicing it, service the motor on the boat, service the trailer. making a piece of fishing equipment that you just cannot buy in a shop.
Reading charts, understanding the rules, knowing tides, moons.

Experimenting..........................

I call them the ' Complete Angler ".

Nothing beats building your own rod, throwing your own lures from a boat you built ( buy hull, add motor, floor, electrics etc etc ) and landing a target species in a new area.

Don't get me started Rob.......... I could be here for hours.
Sounds like a millionaire to me. Have to be. No time for anything else ;D

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2007, 05:47 PM
vb4me,

it may well sound like that, but this has happened over 40 years of fishing.

I didn't even get to tell you that I Goggle Earth to find remote landbased headlands from which to track through K's of scrub just to chuck a poppa !

Millionaire.........nope,............keen......... .....yep ! ;D ;)

OH, and of course being a complete angler, indulge in.......VB. :-X

Phill

swano
08-03-2007, 05:58 PM
interesting topic , i might just sit back and look for a while , i think that any one that has the passion for fishing and is willing to fish in whatever surroundings they find themselves in can consider themselves an all-rounder.
cheers swano

vb4me
08-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Wasnt havin a go lucky. Just by the description it sounds like the absolute complete angler and somebody that can fit nothing else into their day. 40 yrs experience, thats legendary. Good onya. Ive recently started using google earth myself recently. Not bad is it;D. Really tryin to improve my angling skills at the moment and try a lot of new stuff. You are a lucky bloke, that is my dream life:)

webby
08-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Would like to meet this person Phill, where does he hit out ????
regards

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Most of time he hides behind a computer screen keeping the ferets in line.

I have just about settled back into the big smoke and will be getting the Skanky Hoe wet more often.

Been busy building rods, making slugs and doing things offroad. I heard a rumour Brian, that you've put a curse on the fish........ I can't tell you that Greg told me this !!

We'll catch up at the Show.

Phill

drawn
08-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I consider myself an all rounder when it comes to fishing as I have targeted a wide variety of fish in fresh and salt water from rivers to ocean with a fair bit of success. The only reason this has happened is because I love the challenge of targeting the different species in different situations. Once I get an area wired I never keep going back time after time to flog the same species in the same areas, as where is the challenge in that? I've had plenty of trips where I go and catch heaps of great size fish and then not go back there for a year or much longer unless I'm taking a mate or a family member to expierence a really hot bite or get a fish they REALLY want to catch. It just seems that the more places and situations you fish in with success the quicker you know what to do when presented with a new fishing situation or location. I wouldn't consider myself an expert though.

drawn

imnotoriginal
08-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I'll fish wherever there is water and using whatever technique is likely to work. I agree with Phil that there's a great deal of satisfaction to be had in being responsible for the most parts of the process (making and using the gear correctly, then finding the right location etc.) but the catching part's the most fun and shimano do a much better job than I could! You shouldn't be afraid to try techniques used in different styles of fishing in new situations either. That's the advantage of trying plenty of different styles.
Joel

fishphile
09-03-2007, 01:05 AM
I have been extremely lucky and have had the opportunity to fish all over Australia and around the world. It is amazing seeing and using some of the inventive techniques that anglers have developed to catch different species in their own waters and also imparting any knowledge that may help them out.
I have always classed fishing as a form of art, and appreciate anyone who gets out there and uses their Skill, Gear, Surroundings, And Ingenuity to come up with something special for themselves and those who care to listen and learn.

Cheers Dave.

Mattg68
09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
bloody hell Phill, have you slept at all in the past 40 years. when's your next tour of your 'everything fishy with Dr. Phill' show coming around, I'll buy a ticket in that.

how's that saying - 'give a man a fish & he'll eat for a day, teach a man every goddam thing about fishing & he'll conquer the world'

top effort mate.

Matt

Barraless
09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
vb4me,

I didn't even get to tell you that I Goggle Earth to find remote landbased headlands from which to track through K's of scrub just to chuck a poppa !

Phill

Funny you should say that I do that quite often its not bad hey I have managed to find a couple of wiers near me that I ended up fishing at

roz
09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I've often described myself as a fishing tragic and it's true, been that way since the age of 5.

I've been extremely lucky or ar$ie which ever way you want to look at it.
Spent years lure fishing the quiet creeks in the Murwillumbah area for bass, catch and release only.
Fished the lower reaches of the Tweed, Kingscliff & Pottsville for flathead, jacks, bream etc all on SPs, been lucky to catch a very nice jewie one night near the mouth of the tweed.
Fished off shore from Point Danger down to Kingscliff & caught every thing from marlin, wahoo, mackeral, kings, dollies, tuna, samsons, trevelly, cobia and many others.
Caught my share of tailor off the beach, although I am not too flash hot catching beach worms.
Fished the Namoi and Keepit Dam for yellowbelly, cod, catties, silver perch and 100's of carp unfortunately, even caught a mussel once...true story!!

Fished Moruya on the NSW south coast for drummer & off shore with my Dad for snapper and lizards & also Montague for kings.
Been lucky to taste the fishing out off Lizard Island many years ago, nothing has ever come close to that place yet.
Now fish off shore from 1770 trolling for mackeral, cobia, trevelly a magic sailfish once. Tagg & release through a.n.s.a. and a sometime member of native fish Australia.
Also the bottom bashing for all the nice red fish that live up that way.
Fished the Hawksbury for hairtail, jewies & bream.
Fished lake Awoonga for my first, but not last barra
Fished the beaches of Perth for tailor & whiting, prawned the Swan River and as far north as Derby and Broome.
Love building rods and do the crosswrap thing as well, I've made the ugliest looking poppers you have ever seen...but they've caught tuna on the nine, made a skirted lure out of a winecask that caught a wahoo as well.
Mostly out of my beloved old seafarer VC that I've owned for well over 16 years.
From time to time I get out and fish off the Coffs coast... think that about covers it

r.

PinHead
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I will go on the other tact..I would have to be close to being the laziest angler...I did all the serious comp fishing stuff 30 years ago..SQAFCA titles, Telegraph Shield etc..now I go out and sometimes wet a line..if I don't catch anything I don't care...I just love being on the water..quite happy sitting back and reading a book or just watching the world go by.

cdg81
10-03-2007, 05:42 PM
isnt it a funny thing this fishing, variaty is the spice of life they say, i fished the islands here off mackay this morning(saturday), caught some largeish coral trout 3 to 4 kilo on 80 pound handlines, a spanish bout 8 kilo, and tomorrow i am going to the river to catch jacks and bream using lightly weighted softies, throw in the bycatch of trevally, queenfish and the ever present cod, also love to cast poppers to sootys in the freashwater reaches of the river, i like trying every thing, cant say i have mastered all techs but one day i might.

haggis
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
maybe in forty years i might be able to call myself an all round fisher person .
but if not i will have enjoyed trying !
cheers fae haggis .