PDA

View Full Version : 2-4kg spin

B_E_N
07-03-2007, 02:40 PM
hey all
going to get back in the groove in time for the rb w/e and was thinking of building a 2-4kg spin outfit for sp's as i dont have a good setup atm. just wondering wat blanks are of good use, i was looking at some of the samurai blanks and saw the s001 6'6" or the s002 6'6" seemed to be wat i was after, just after your thoughts and words of advice,

cheers ben

jan
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
G'day Ben,
Just got in a few Samurai blanks myself to make up and the 002 is a nice blank. Should make up a good sp rod.
Jan.

B_E_N
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
yeh the specs sounded good, but always better to hear from someone thats actually got one,

thanks jan

B_E_N
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
oh one other thing are they graphite, sanded or glossy, just wondering wat there appearance is

wheezer
08-03-2007, 07:26 AM
glossy appearance. 002 is a nice blank for the money, if you are looking for something nicer look at something from the Hastings range, will be more responsive and reactive but also more expensive!

sid_fishes
09-03-2007, 04:18 PM
but the bottom line is always the same, you get what you pay for, and hastings blanks are as good as or if not better than some of the well sought after blanks, my 2 cents worth sid

R2COMMENT
11-03-2007, 09:04 AM
glossy appearance. 002 is a nice blank for the money, if you are looking for something nicer look at something from the Hastings range, will be more responsive and reactive but also more expensive!

Hasting/Graphite USA (GUSA) 7' blank range will get a better accurate/direct casting range and "touch", compared with the sloppier Samuri's.
GUSA blanks have a tried, true record, that most bass/bream gurus are finding is giving them a winning tournament advantage. Check it out in the leading national tackle magazines, it's "FACT" the USA manufacturers are now specifically designing their Spin" range for Australian fishing, particularly for those using soft plastics and poppers. The importers GCCR and Services will point you in the right direction for availability and recommended pricing. (www.gccr.com.au/home/start.html (http://www.gccr.com.au/home/start.html))

cammac
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
How do Loomis rate in comparison or dont they make a comparitively priced blank??

R2COMMENT
13-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Loomis have had good blanks in the past, I still own a couple, mind you, they are slightly heavier spin blanks than what we are talking about, but when I bought them I had no alternative. Today however, I find their construction quite different to GUSA and now I see Loomis too expensive for the technology they are offering. GUSA blanks on the other hand offer are a Dula Helix - Hi Modulas constructed blank that is powerful, durable, strong, extremely lite and if that doesn't turn you on, they are surprisingly inexpensive for what you get.

How do they compare? I think that should answer your question!

B_E_N
14-03-2007, 01:06 PM
well you have turned me, ive already spent the time and got prices fro the GUSA blanks and looks like ill be getting a couple for the upcoming RBW, ive got an 'out there' camo rod in my head atm, should look pretty awesome when done, fingers crossed, thanks for the advice aswell guys very helpful!

grave41
22-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Go the loomis,everthing else is imitation only.If you want dual helix go Composite Developement from New Zealand they"ve been doing it just as long if not longer than GUSA. Its about what suits you.
IMO Graham

Stuart
23-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Its funny you should say that about Comp Developments. They were in fact in bed together many years ago. How ever I wouldn’t buy a CD blank these days as there are simply way too many warranty claims, get my drift. Carbon alone will never be strong enough hence why they use Helical to reinforce the blanks walls from distorting. Helical winding is an old but great technology.

Stu

wheezer
26-03-2007, 02:07 PM
yes Stu is right. Hastings have been around much longer than CD and had a partnership with CD early in the piece hence the similarities in construction theories. but i've never seen any mention of CD using a dual helix layup. multi modulus yes but not dual helix. I first started using Hastings blanks about 18 months ago and have found i have progressively gotten rid of all my other rods (samurai or loomis) for various GUSA blanks. they are extremely nice to use, better than anything i have previously had experience with IMO. Wise choice b_e_n i'm sure you won't be disappointed!

bushbeachboy
08-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Just checking out Campbells Pro Tackle on the net. They have a fair range of Hastings GUSA blanks. Not sure how the prices compare though.

roz
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I am building two Graphite USA B70L blanks for a friend of mine. It's going to be a light general purpose estuary outfit.

This is the first time I've had anything to do with Hastings & although I'm not an expert, I will say I am very impressed with their product, to the point where I have bought a Hastings blank to build at the RBW.

Having said that I will always be a big fan of samurai as value for money (I own three).

But for pure quality definately go for a Hastings IMO.

cheers r.