PDA

View Full Version : another cross wrap

roz
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Thought it was about time to try something else, as I was browsing through a rod building site I came across this wrap.

Decided to give it a go, I only had the picture to go off and managed to take a few wrong turns but nothing drastic.

I think it is almost identical to the original.

I will make some changes for the next one, but they would only be small ones.

A few mistakes in there, the obvious one for me is the choice of thread size. I've never had a problem using A & C thread together in the past, but with this one the gold thread is very fine and smooth, the black is a thicker C thread. I can't see a solution to the gap that is created where the metalic thread runs over the thicker black thread.

I havn't finished packing and closing the thing yet, but I can see there will be 'isssues'. Live and learn.

r.

Oh!!! Stu, Myles & Co., hope this one isn't too girly for you chappies????

jan
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
G'day Roz,
Very good attempt. Is it Billy's Billy's wrap you saw or someone else?. I like the white threads in that wrap but the gold in yours look good also. Can't wait to get my visual wrap (delivered tomorrow) so I can start tapering my wraps without too many gaps. Let the computer work it all out. Again good job.
Jan.

Bearclaw
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Now that's really girly "bling" Roz, you will have all the broom handles crosswrapped by now. Nice work.

Stuart
07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Better roz much better than those other fish cross wraps you have been doing for almost a 100 years.:P

Stu

roz
07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Stu & Myles

Bash it!!!

Myles,

I turned all the broom handles into poppers when someone lent me a wood lathe. Sad ay!!

Like to bet you wouldn't be game enough to repeat that comment to the MALE who used identical thread/colours for that wrap in rodbuillding.org...just you wait!!

Stu,

I've only done 11 fish wraps... told you a thousand times don't exagerate!!!

Jan,

thankyou for the support and KIND words.

No, it's not a direct copy of Billy's wrap, which I havn't seen yet, it's someone elses, I must go for a look see.

I've not long had my viswrap program and it will take a while to work out. I've never had much of a problem calculating the taper, although I did at first.

I did use the Dale P. Clemens method but now use another one (the Volvo method) which I think is much better.

Dave is going to try and be at our RBW, to demonstrate his program. Looking forward to that.

Actually the taper on that rod was only 1ml over 24cm, which is very minor.

the wrap is on my old surf rod.

With a bit of luck Dave's program will make life a bit easier.

r.

Stuart
07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Come on Roz, where just taking the piss out of ya. I havent found anyone else to replace you yet.;D

Stu

sid_fishes
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
and he,s not looking either i,ll bet

roz
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Ian :)

I've only got to put up with him until the middle of May, then watch out!

r.

jan
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Roz,
Got my copy of Billy's book and man its going to be a lot easier using vis now. I would have made heaps and heaps of errors (I now i will only just make heaps)., as Billy talks you through the set up etc so looking forward to using the program. I'm also looking forward to doing some of the wraps on the cover of the book as they are fantastic. Just have to get over this marbelling phase I'm in and then I can spend hours and hours doing but wraps again, lol.
Jan.

sid_fishes
18-03-2007, 08:21 PM
roz thats sounds like a plan is in motion. iv,e ordered my new blanks and all the other gear so i,m looking forward to the rbw. chat soon ian

roz
19-03-2007, 01:50 PM
What blank do you have Ian?

I am bringing a Hastings blank... about 6' + 10-15kg Xfast taper. Stand up boat rod, havn't got the bits 'n pieces yet.

I've never owned an expensive top quality rod so this will be the first, the wrap will be done before the w'end.

Really looking forward to catching up with you.

cheers r.