PDA

View Full Version : New motor advice

smiley_doobinator
05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Guys, I am sure this has been asked a million or more times but I need some advice ! I have an 81 Glastron 5.2 metre fibreglass runabout. It will be decked out as a serious fishing boat when completed in a few months. I was thinking about 115 HP as it is factory rated to 150 however I think thats just massive overkill on the power department however 115 would do just nicely. Anyone want to offer and advice or suggestions? Thanks inadvance.

seatime
05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
does "decked out" mean a casting deck forward and deep cycle batteries, etc. there can be heaps of added weight when decking out.

if going 4 stroke, you might need all of the 115hp, there's only two 4's to look at IMO, Suzuki or Honda, or Honda or Suzuki.

smiley_doobinator
05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I should have explained that a bit better, basically a 5m runabout, dual batteries both deep cycle one cranking (Large) one to run the electrics (deep cycle but regular car battery size) 2 medium sized padded seats up front on custom wood and glass storage boxes bout the size of a small tv each not huge or heavy, 90 litre plastic tank, 120 litre plastic esky, bimini, stainless rocket launcher (BCF type) 2 stainless trolling rod holders, 45 litre live bait tank, canon sport troll downrigger, 32mm stainless grab rail right the way around other assorted rod holders mostly plastic, rear fold down bench seat. Will be carrying 3-4 people at most. Will do some outside work on a good day mostly bay and river work. Thats about all I can think of. I would like to go 4 stroke but will look closely at the difference in price for what you gain.

seatime
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
seen a few Glastrons, but not all that familiar with the hull design, are they solid, like heavy, deep V ? max transom weight ? max loading capacity?
don't forget the trailer, will it safely carry the extra weight too?

When setting up a re-configured boat, there's a lot to consider.